ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Right Rear Noise Low Speed and Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 12:58 PM
Dtwizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Right Rear Noise Low Speed and Reverse

Hi all, I will try to be as descriptive as possible. I have a noise coming from the right rear when I start to slow down to go over speed bumps and when coming to a stop at red lights. I can hear it in the car slightly and course it can be heard outside the car as well I can hear it better when I roll down the back window. It doesnt matter if its a hot or cold day or early in the morning with a fresh start the noise is there. It comes and goes sometimes too, hard to determine when the conditions are right that it will not make a noise.

Its not a grinding noise like metal on metal no flakes or shavings from anything being damaged. And I have new brakes and rotors on all 4 wheels. The best I can describe it would be a creaking noise when closing an old door. The noise isnt affecting the normal drive of the car no vibration or uneven tire wear, but I know that there shouldnt be a noise. When backing up sometimes and turning the steering wheel sharply I get a low loud noise which again is not normal. Before paying the Lexus techs a diagnostic fee, that I can save for the actual repair has anyone had this issue before or have an idea of what it could be? No aftermarket rims have ever been installed all factory wheels that came on the car.

One last thing is there a foot well light for the front passenger side, like there is on the drivers side?

2007 Lexus ES350
159K Miles
Pearl
Old 02-16-18, 02:11 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

There is a foot well light for the passenger too.

Noise...does it follows the tire rotation?
Old 02-16-18, 04:28 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess the 1st question I would ask is "did you have this noise before you replaced the brakes and rotors" ?
Old 02-16-18, 06:14 PM
Dtwizz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
There is a foot well light for the passenger too.

Noise...does it follows the tire rotation?
I am not sure I understand what you mean by tire rotation but it happens throughout the revolution of the wheel rotation, so it's not like it's a warped type sound or only comes and goes with the rotation in certain parts.
Old 02-16-18, 06:21 PM
Dtwizz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I guess the 1st question I would ask is "did you have this noise before you replaced the brakes and rotors" ?
Yes I did but I figured it was the brakes that were the source of the noise but when the service tech's at the dealership did the replacement rotors and brakes they didn't see any concern. But now it's noticeable and embarrassing. Brakes and rotors were put on last summer. I don't want just anyone tinkering around with my car so I only go to the dealership I purchased from and thier partner Lexus dealership. This was a one owner well maintained car.
Old 02-18-18, 01:53 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Is the sound transient, or continuous? If continuous, does the sound change with speed, like it is related to the rate the wheel spins? If it is transient, I think if is related to the strut, strut mount, or some other suspension component. Try to make the noise happen by pushing down on that corner of the car and bouncing the suspension. After that I would take off the tire and start trying to move components with my hand like sway bar links and look for general condition of all the suspension components in the area.
Old 02-18-18, 05:15 PM
Dtwizz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Is the sound transient, or continuous? If continuous, does the sound change with speed, like it is related to the rate the wheel spins? If it is transient, I think if is related to the strut, strut mount, or some other suspension component. Try to make the noise happen by pushing down on that corner of the car and bouncing the suspension. After that I would take off the tire and start trying to move components with my hand like sway bar links and look for general condition of all the suspension components in the area.
Hi thank you for replying. This sounds like the issue because the noise is continuous when I am slowing down and not related to wheel spin how fast or slow but I hear it at low speeds of course if that makes sense. I will try the push down method and report back but I think this may be the issue. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-18, 01:31 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Check your rear brake pads.
Old 08-28-19, 04:59 PM
Lindseyhay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtwizz
Hi thank you for replying. This sounds like the issue because the noise is continuous when I am slowing down and not related to wheel spin how fast or slow but I hear it at low speeds of course if that makes sense. I will try the push down method and report back but I think this may be the issue. Thanks again.

Ever figure out what it was? Having the same issue
Old 08-29-19, 05:45 AM
Dtwizz
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I had new brake pads and rotors replaced in June on the front and back. No noise sense this has been completed. The techs didnt see anything wrong when they were working on the car.