ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES and Camry struts the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 06:41 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default ES and Camry struts the same?

Hi all. Sent my 09 ES to Toyota last week to get the struts replaced as they were worn. I asked the service writer if they would use lexus parts and he said that they would and that they just come in a boxed labeled toyota. When I got home, I googled the part numbers to verify and it looks like they used aftermarket KYB that is for sale literally at the local autozone. Car rode and steered noticeably stiffer too, but I'm not sure if it's just the new rack and pinion system they also put in as well as the new struts adjusting. I tried googling this but couldn't find a definitive answer if camry and es struts are the same. Part numbers are:

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-27-17, 08:27 PM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus Parts are made by Toyota and most of them come in a box that come in a box that says Toyota Lexus. So don't worry too much about that. New struts tend to be stiffer. What you need is the part number, such as 48540-39805. It should be on the invoice. Camry struts are not the same as Lexus ES350 struts, but Camry struts will fit on a ES350. If they promised you Lexus struts and used KYB struts, then you can argue with the service manager. But, you'll have to pay more because Toyota does not make complete strut assemblies (commonly called quick struts.) You need to buy all the parts separately which will make the job cost several thousand dollars.
Old 02-27-17, 09:14 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

They actually reused the springs. The service writer also said they would install new strut mounts but those part numbers weren't on the invoice.

Edit: auto parts website says part numbers come with mounting hardware- not sure if that means mounts.

Last edited by 12jimmyjam; 02-27-17 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 12:13 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KYB may be the OEM supplier for that car. You would have to know. Most OEMs do not manufacture components in house...hopefully this isn't news to anyone.

It appears as if the aftermarket part number for the Camry and ES350 are the same. I don't know where people are getting the information that they are different. I'm interested in knowing how they are different because they look identical and use the same aftermarket part.

The KYB Excel G is an excellent strut and is likely the same as or comparable to the OEM strut.

RE: the mounts, the new strut likely comes with new rubber. On this style of strut the spring cup is metal and does not typically need to be replaced, unlike many mcpherson strut cars that have a strut mount that can (and does) fail more often.
Old 02-28-17, 01:03 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

on my 2007 ES350 at about 70,000 miles all four corners where replaced with aftermarket monroe struts it was done at TireKigndom Shop in South Florida under my extended service contrac tthe contract company covered them to be replaced. but they where just the struts and shocks replaced. they used the old spirngs mounts and all the other parts where the same.

at about 140k i needed to replace the front struts again. they seemed to only last 70,000 miles before one of them started leaking. i then replaced them this time out of my own pocket with the monroe Quick struts. i for sure notice the difference and if it comes to having them replaced again i will probably end up getting OEM not aftermarket.
Old 02-28-17, 03:05 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Yep- KYB makes the struts for lexus as I understand it. But I also understand the aftermarket aren't up to spec as apparently they throw these in the camry as well.

I asked for oem spec because I have to spend around 4 hours a day in my car commuting. I bought this lexus largely in part due to the ride quality. I had an 09 accord previously that I ditched because it made me hate my commute and that's too many hours a week to be miserable.

Longevity is also another concern. I'd rather never have to do this again and will need struts that will last the 138k miles that these did and not just 70k. That's only 2 years of driving for me.

On another note, Google led me to believe that the vibration upon acceleration was caused by the struts. Wish the service advisor would have mentioned the possibility of it being an axle problem. Another 1k on top of the $2200 that I just spent. I've got an email in to the service advisor but haven't heard back yet.
Old 02-28-17, 03:15 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say they aren't up to spec, what spec are you referring to? This sounds more like internet mythology than anything else.
Old 02-28-17, 03:27 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

As in performing at an identical level. I've read a lot of reviews including here on the forum about the KYB aftermarkets being firmer.
Old 02-28-17, 03:29 PM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

Why I do agree that KYB struts will fit, I disagree with the idea that they will be the same quality. Most of the time, OEM manufacturers sell parts that fail quality tests as aftermarket components. Generally, they are of lower quality. The Toyota and Lexus struts have different part numbers. Maybe, that's only for inventory purposes, but most people agree that the ES350 has the superior ride quality.

KYBs also tend to be stiffer than OEM struts.

Mounts and rubber components are important as well. Even if they reused the springs, they should have replaced the boot and mounts. Struts are really expensive to replace properly.
Old 02-28-17, 03:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorES
Why I do agree that KYB struts will fit, I disagree with the idea that they will be the same quality. Most of the time, OEM manufacturers sell parts that fail quality tests as aftermarket components. Generally, they are of lower quality. The Toyota and Lexus struts have different part numbers. Maybe, that's only for inventory purposes, but most people agree that the ES350 has the superior ride quality.

KYBs also tend to be stiffer than OEM struts.

Mounts and rubber components are important as well. Even if they reused the springs, they should have replaced the boot and mounts. Struts are really expensive to replace properly.
Correct, KYB's have different valving and they are intended to be stiffer than OEM to make up for any sag in the springs.
Old 02-28-17, 07:21 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Thanks for the replies all. So what is the cause of the tightness in steering now? Is it the struts, new rack and pinion, or will it just break in over time. It used to be much more smooth!
Old 02-28-17, 07:57 PM
PoorES
Driver School Candidate

@ hypervish Yeah, that's why the entire strut assembly should be replaced if you actually want to have a like-new ride quality which gets really pricey really quickly.

As for the changes in steering, did the dealer perform an alignment? Which steering rack did they put in? If it's an aftermarket one or a non-lexus one, then you're steering is going to suck. The Lexus part number is 4420033530.
Old 02-28-17, 09:31 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Yep. They did do an alignment. I just googled the part number for the steering rack and it's a Cardone remanufactured rack part number 26-2630. Local cost about $210. They charged me about $410. Geeze.
Old 02-28-17, 10:48 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Yep- KYB makes the struts for lexus as I understand it. But I also understand the aftermarket aren't up to spec as apparently they throw these in the camry as well.

I asked for oem spec because I have to spend around 4 hours a day in my car commuting. I bought this lexus largely in part due to the ride quality. I had an 09 accord previously that I ditched because it made me hate my commute and that's too many hours a week to be miserable.

Longevity is also another concern. I'd rather never have to do this again and will need struts that will last the 138k miles that these did and not just 70k. That's only 2 years of driving for me.

On another note, Google led me to believe that the vibration upon acceleration was caused by the struts. Wish the service advisor would have mentioned the possibility of it being an axle problem. Another 1k on top of the $2200 that I just spent. I've got an email in to the service advisor but haven't heard back yet.
the CV axle i had lexus dealership replace jsut the cv joint and boot when the car had 45k on it under the powertrian warranty that i saw the service bill on it evne though i didn't have to pay it was around 600 in parts and labor is what Lexus Paid for that i think.

a year latter i was out of town and the other side axle was started to pop and click the book on the other one had been turn and leaking apparently i think it was NTB or Tirekingdom in Jackson WY they put an aftermarket axle in total price parts and labor was like 250 or 300 dollars i think. so far 80k on that aftermarket axle and its still going strong no issues.
Old 02-28-17, 10:55 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Yep. They did do an alignment. I just googled the part number for the steering rack and it's a Cardone remanufactured rack part number 26-2630. Local cost about $210. They charged me about $410. Geeze.
Yup that's about right dealerships like to mark up there prices the service departments will mark up the price like 25 to 50 percent i
remember a few times when having some work done at dealerships not talking about Lexus but this was on my old Cadillac i had to have a tie rod replaced.
The dealership charged twice the amount for the tire rode than what it would have cost to go into the parts department at the dealership and buy it. Also, the LCA on my car had to be replaced, and I could buy it from the parts department for like 400 but the service department charged me 700 for the part.
Its crazy.

like say you go to firestone for a break job ofcourse they are going to say the rotors are to far warn to be turned and machines, because they can make more money, buy selling you rotors however they are going and getting the 25 dollar rotors from auto zone or napa auto parts and then selling them to you for 70 to 100 each

i had this happen to me last time I had breaks done down in Florida over the summer the rear pads went back the shop said they had to replace the rotors also I called around to all the parts stores checked out what rotor prices where they where all around 25 to 50 a pieces for the rotors at the auto parts stores
the shop charged me 100 each for the rotors

Quick Reply: ES and Camry struts the same?