Check VSC and Engine light on dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 10:32 AM
babyduke
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check VSC and Engine light on dashboard

2009 ES350 - 114,700 miles

During a short day trip, Check VSC and Engine light displayed on the dashboard. Got me worried as I had to drive another 1 hour to the destination then 3 hours back home. I saw that some people cleared them simply by re-tightening the gas cap. So I did even 'tho it wasn't loose, kept driving and got to my destination. Warning lights are still on. On the way home, I stopped off for lunch and when I started the engine HOLY MOLY, they're gone!
What exactly was wrong and do I still have to get it checked out? I'm really good about making sure to tighten the gas cap until I hear couple clicks so I seriously doubt that the gas cap was loose.

Last edited by babyduke; 11-09-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 10:54 AM
jkayca
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

It sounds like the gas cap was just loose since the code went away. The gas cap itself can be defective too. The seal gives out after a while and the fuel tank doesn't pressurize properly. I wouldn't panic just yet. If the CEL come on again, pull the codes.
Old 11-09-16, 12:03 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,048 Likes on 778 Posts

They'll come back, don't worry.
Old 11-30-16, 04:36 AM
M6nightrid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb How can u pull codes?

Originally Posted by jkayca
It sounds like the gas cap was just loose since the code went away. The gas cap itself can be defective too. The seal gives out after a while and the fuel tank doesn't pressurize properly. I wouldn't panic just yet. If the CEL come on again, pull the codes.
how can u pull codes?
Old 11-30-16, 04:56 AM
Rupi
Driver School Candidate

Pull codes. There are no. Of possibilities. mine was ignition coil. its easy to replace.
Old 11-30-16, 01:17 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M6nightrid
how can u pull codes?
Most chain parts stores will do it for free. You need a code reader, plugs in to the OBD-2 port under the dash.
Old 03-26-21, 05:32 PM
opallene
Driver School Candidate

Default Help Please

My 2008 RX 350 threw the VSC Off, Traction Control, and CEL recently one day after fueling up. The codes were P0300 and P0302. I have changed the ignition coil and spark plug (used Denso for both) on cylinder 2 and my lights went off temporarily and are now back on. When the codes first came on my vehicle was idling rough after new parts it idled, drove and sounded much better but the lights remained on. I also added a Lucas deep clean fuel treatment to my gas. Now while it drove much better today my temperature gauge increased after running fine for a couple of hours. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 03-28-21, 08:58 PM
sagars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by opallene
My 2008 RX 350 threw the VSC Off, Traction Control, and CEL recently one day after fueling up. The codes were P0300 and P0302. I have changed the ignition coil and spark plug (used Denso for both) on cylinder 2 and my lights went off temporarily and are now back on. When the codes first came on my vehicle was idling rough after new parts it idled, drove and sounded much better but the lights remained on. I also added a Lucas deep clean fuel treatment to my gas. Now while it drove much better today my temperature gauge increased after running fine for a couple of hours. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Check your engine coolant in your radiator and reserve tank.

Had a similar problem with my es350 this past week. My A/C would intermittently stop cooling (the fan was still blowing but the air would randomly stop being cold) and after a few minutes it would restart. Took it to a couple local repair shops to get the A/C checked and my CEL, VSC OFF, and Traction control lights came on after they checked the AC and told me my compressor was intermittently failing and would have to be replaced. I didn’t want to replace the compressor on an old car so we brought it home. After some searching on YouTube I checked if my gas cap was loose because that’s what could trigger the CEL and VSC off lights but that didn’t fix the problem. Then my temperature gauge as I was driving my car got to the max temp. I pulled the car over and checked my coolant fluid level and it was empty. Not sure how both places that checked my car failed to notice that. I let the car cool down and have refilled the coolant in my radiator and reserve. Also found someone on the RX forum recommend I disconnect my battery negative terminal for 5-10 minutes and
reconnect it and start my car. The CEL, VSC off and traction control lights are gone. I have only driven it around today but the A/C worked the whole time and the lights did not come back on. I feel like maybe both shops were trying to scam me into replacing my compressor when all I needed was engine coolant. Hopefully all you need is engine coolant too.
Old 07-14-21, 01:02 PM
iyang0810
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by opallene
I had GX460 and has the same TRAC off message (not light) and Check engine light on after the body service. I brought it back to the body shop they ran the testing and the code is P006A -EGR valve failure. and need to replace the EGR valve which is a very expensive repair. Can someone tell is this the real problem or something else? The light and message were on and off. Should I go to replace this EGR valve? Just want to get a second opinion? Another shop said brought in and will run the computer diagnosis again, it cost 180. Please help and much appreciated.