ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 12:08 PM
meyst
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?

I had a factory nav system in my '07 ES350 which included the backup camera and microphone (all factory).

I have since downgraded to a non-nav console in order to put in an aftermarket radio. I am going with a Pioneer headunit and was wondering if anyone had tried using the factory camera and mic with it?

I realize that both have only "wires" (i.e. no rca plug on the camera and no 1/8" jack for the mic). I have the wiring diagram, but just wanted to poll to see if anyone had done this before.

Thanks
Old 07-12-16, 09:33 AM
meyst
Rookie

Follow up...

The Pioneer head units use a 2.5mm plug (as opposed to the standard 1/8" plug) -- be aware! From a technical standpoint, there is no reason that the factory mic shouldn't work, provided you correctly splice the 2.5mm plug into the 2 factory wires.

Factory back-up camera is a no-go! Toyota, for whatever reason, decided to use a 6V camera. Yep, 6V, not 12V. So, unless you want to mess with splicing an RCA end on the couple of wires, plus figuring out a pull-down resistor wiring, then leave it alone! Much easier to just spend the $20 on a new camera!

Bonus: The AUX connector in the center console can be wired into the AUX plug on the head unit. There are 3 wires of concern, the 4th wire was for informing the factory radio that something was connected (or not) so that it would skip over the AUX setting if nothing was connected. I was able to successfully splice it in and can't detect any sound degradation. I'll supply the wiring diagram soon.
Old 01-13-17, 08:50 PM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meyst
I had a factory nav system in my '07 ES350 which included the backup camera and microphone (all factory).
I have since downgraded to a non-nav console in order to put in an aftermarket radio. I am going with a Pioneer headunit and was wondering if anyone had tried using the factory camera and mic with it?
Thanks
Did you install a modern head unit?
and if so how is it working and how much did it cost?
Old 01-13-17, 09:25 PM
meyst
Rookie

Well, I installed a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS, but I was never satisfied with it. The sound quality was absolutely fantastic, but I couldn't get it to work with any USB thumbdrives. Plus, it was going to be another $300 to add the nav unit. I ended up selling it and putting in an Android based head unit after using it for around 2 months. It's a Joying 1024600: 7" screen, Android 5.1. There are lots of units out there - Pumpkin, Joying, and others. Check out: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto. If I remember correctly, the Joying that I have is an "MTCD" based unit. It cost around $269 on Amazon (yes, less than the d@mn nav unit for the Pioneer!!)

Sound quality if very good, I have no complaints. I ended up hooking up a $25 backup camera (Coolint CT-107B) and it works great! By the way, the CT-107B is a "normal" down-facing camera - i.e. it mounts to the underside of the lip above the license plate. Don't get the CT-107D because it's meant to be mount to the top of a bumper. I crafted an 45 degree angled piece out of wood and used the factory mount. You would never guess that it's not stock.

The Joying unit is great! Works with multiple thumb drives, has 2 SDcard slots (and they support 128GB cards - it just takes awhile to reindex the card, but music starts playing within about 20 seconds even though you can't navigate your library until it finishes reindexing which takes about 1 minute). Nav works really well, but does take a little getting used to because I'm used to my old Garmin. I also installed an external mic and it works really well also.

I absolutely LOVE the app that it uses to program the steering wheel controls. All you have to do is hook up the 2 wires (sorry, can't remember the colors right now) and then run the app. It prompts you to press the steering wheel button and then you set map its function. You can also set long presses of the button, effectively doubling the amount of programmable keys. The stupid Pioneer required you to buy an adapter unit ($45) and it was a pain-in-the-a$$, I never could get it working right with all the steering wheel buttons.

My ONLY complaint about the Joying is the fact that it only has 2V amp preouts so is more susceptible to picking up noise than the Pioneer. (Pioneer has 3.5V if I remember correctly). I can hear a little bit of noise in the dead space between songs, but it's not a big deal.

By the way, for speakers, I HIGHLY recommend JBLs. I put GTO938 6x9s in the front doors, GT5-652 6.5" in the rear doors, and GTO19T tweets in the dash. The center speaker got axed - I used it's spot for the GPS antenna (included with the Joying headunit). I can't believe how fantastic these speakers sound.
The following users liked this post:
nevernu (01-25-17)
Old 01-14-17, 08:48 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

thanks for the update. im so very tempted. could you give a link to your exact model? also an installed pic would be nice
Old 01-14-17, 10:15 PM
jgcec
Driver

The Joying unit is great! Works with multiple thumb drives, has 2 SDcard slots (and they support 128GB cards
So you do not use Apple Music, Spotify, etc and stream your music?
Have you tried music streaming apps?
If you don't use them what is your complaint about them?
Old 03-10-17, 03:45 AM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow up...

The Pioneer head units use a 2.5mm plug (as opposed to the standard 1/8" plug) -- be aware! From a technical standpoint, there is no reason that the factory mic shouldn't work, provided you correctly splice the 2.5mm plug into the 2 factory wires.

Factory back-up camera is a no-go! Toyota, for whatever reason, decided to use a 6V camera. Yep, 6V, not 12V. So, unless you want to mess with splicing an RCA end on the couple of wires, plus figuring out a pull-down resistor wiring, then leave it alone! Much easier to just spend the $20 on a new camera!

Bonus: The AUX connector in the center console can be wired into the AUX plug on the head unit. There are 3 wires of concern, the 4th wire was for informing the factory radio that something was connected (or not) so that it would skip over the AUX setting if nothing was connected. I was able to successfully splice it in and can't detect any sound degradation. I'll supply the wiring diagram soon.
The Lexus factory microphone has 3 wires input: +MIC,-MIC,MACC. Do you connect the MACC input?
Old 11-02-17, 07:47 PM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dta20502
The Lexus factory microphone has 3 wires input: +MIC,-MIC,MACC. Do you connect the MACC input?
Update:
The MACC input to the factory microphone needs 5vdc to Work! I buy this from EBay and use the factory microphone with my Jvc unit.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rbwAAOSwoaFZr8LJ/s-l500.jpg
Old 02-22-18, 03:31 PM
jakepaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dta20502
Update:
The MACC input to the factory microphone needs 5vdc to Work! I buy this from EBay and use the factory microphone with my Jvc unit.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rbwAA...8LJ/s-l500.jpg
What is the SNS2 wire for?
Attached Thumbnails Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?-mic.jpg  
Old 02-22-18, 05:29 PM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jakepaz
My 2008 ES350 ( no-navigation) doesn't have SNS2 wire! See attached...

Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?-138483472.jpg
Old 02-22-18, 05:48 PM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jakepaz
SNS2 connect to SB bus go to GND! See picture...

Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?-138483484.jpg
Old 02-23-18, 10:22 AM
jakepaz
Driver School Candidate

That makes sense, how does the 2008 ground? Through the microphone itself?
Old 02-23-18, 10:42 AM
bucfan22
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any pictures of this set up would be great.
Old 02-23-18, 11:33 AM
dta20502
Driver School Candidate

Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?-123.gifClick image for larger version

Name:	123.gif
Views:	401
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	474931
Originally Posted by bucfan22
Any pictures of this set up would be great.
My factory radio receiver connector for the microphone is a 16 pins ( E73), as shown on the attached picture. Just connect pin1 (Mic-), pin2 (Mic+) of E73 to my after-market radio receiver microphone cable. And connect +5vdc power to pin7 (Mcvd). That's it! And I just enjoy the original factory microphone nicely! No picture for the setup, sorry and good luck...!

Last edited by dta20502; 02-23-18 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rerun (11-15-19)
Old 06-15-18, 06:49 AM
Jamesquach
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006lexusis350

I want to replace my 06 lexus is350 stock head unit ,can someone pls help me with the wiring on the back of the stock deck

Quick Reply: Nav-system Camera & Mic with Pioneer headunit?