ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

So 4 seperate things broke down on my ES today

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 09:02 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So 4 seperate things broke down on my ES today

Long story short Canada had a snow storm yesterday and when I was making a right turn I skid on the raining ice and hit a curb pretty hard, my rear left tire took the hit, no cosmetic damage i can see but below mechanical stuff has happened. was going about 30-40KM per hour.

1. Steering wheel is crooked towards the left when car is going straight (guess need alignment)?

2. Check VSC text comes on in the dash where the KM range is

3. Traction light stays on

4. When driving, there is a noise you can hear as the tires are rotating and in motion, and as you pick up speed the noise is more frequent. i'm guessing i bent something?

I hope that an alignment will fix it, I'm scared that something expensive got messed up or bent. The #4 thing is what is scaring me... i hope i didn't bend an arm or something

Last edited by Lexus081; 12-29-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-30-15, 12:52 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 658 Posts

The VSC message is up because your steering is not straight.
#4 wheel bearing and probably an arm.
Old 12-30-15, 10:37 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
The VSC message is up because your steering is not straight.
#4 wheel bearing and probably an arm.
whawt about the traction lilght that stays on?

how much am i looking at for the wheel barring and arm fixture?
Old 12-30-15, 11:50 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 658 Posts

TRAC stays on because of the steering, I think.
But the best thing you can do you can pull up the codes because nobody can tell you exactly what is the problem.
Bearing/arm from Amazon, Napa, SnG...
Old 12-30-15, 11:13 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is quite the misleading click bait title. I originally thought four parts failed simultaneously which is highly unlikely. Not that you destroyed at least 4 things in your car.

Fact of the matter is that we cannot tell you what is wrong because there could be a multitude of items leading to your noises and dash lights. You need to get under there and determine what was damaged. If you don't know what you're looking for you should definitely go to a professional.

Hitting a curb at ~20mph would deal considerable damage to a wheel at the very least but you say there is no cosmetic damage. I find that very hard to believe.
Old 12-31-15, 08:21 AM
Lexus081
Driver

@lek
so you were correct. wheel bearing needed to be replaced and cost me $200 including labour

as well, like you said, rear traction arm got bent. need to replace that as well. can i get the traction arm straightened out or i have to get another one?

@xander, click bait? really buddy? you seem like you think i'm being paid for you to click on my ad, i put what i thought happened.

and upon further inspection, the rim got chipped in one of the corners. i see there are a lot of BMW type people here, i specifically bought a lexus to stay away from the bmw crowd

Last edited by Lexus081; 12-31-15 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 09:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus081
@lek
so you were correct. wheel bearing needed to be replaced and cost me $200 including labour

as well, like you said, rear traction arm got bent. need to replace that as well. can i get the traction arm straightened out or i have to get another one?

@xander, click bait? really buddy? you seem like you think i'm being paid for you to click on my ad, i put what i thought happened.

and upon further inspection, the rim got chipped in one of the corners. i see there are a lot of BMW type people here, i specifically bought a lexus to stay away from the bmw crowd
Hey, hey! I have a BMW! Lol. Bummer on hitting the curb, but it sounds like you are on your way to getting things straightened out. On the slippery streets you just never know when something like that will happen.
Old 12-31-15, 11:49 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

@lek

and upon further inspection, the rim got chipped in one of the corners. i see there are a lot of automotive enthusiast type people here, i specifically bought a lexus to stay away from the automotive enthusiast crowd
Fact of the matter is that your title is misleading and so were some of your statements. I'm sorry if you dont like being called out on things that clearly don't add up. I find it funny that the only thing referenced was my usage of "click bait."

I fixed your quotes for you. With literally all the knowledge of automobiles on the internet at the touch of your fingertips you expected us to magically diagnose a compound problem. What has been mentioned here would literally be the first items to be results in a search engine.

While LjeksesES was correct there could of easily been more damage. After all, a wheel, suspension, and arms are hardly a match for the kinetic force of a sliding 3400+ pound car.

Since you were clearly not going to do the work yourself, and were taking it to a shop, an answer was essentially moot anyways. Most good shops do free estimates if you can already pinpoint where the issue is coming from. Thanks for the morning chuckle though, I see some people still cant handle factual statements without getting very defensive and lashing out.
Old 12-31-15, 12:04 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

How about not be the thread title police? The guy came here with a problem, gave some info, and actually did get the right answer. That's actually one of the many reasons why I visit this forum.
Old 01-01-16, 12:44 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
How about not be the thread title police? The guy came here with a problem, gave some info, and actually did get the right answer. That's actually one of the many reasons why I visit this forum.
thank you, exactly.
Old 01-01-16, 10:35 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

^^ Logic doesn't seem to be your forte.
Old 01-01-16, 10:53 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by xanderES
^^ Logic doesn't seem to be your forte.
insolence seems to be your forte, willing to bet any money this guy drove a bmw before the lexus
Old 01-01-16, 11:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

insolence seems to be your forte, willing to bet any money this guy drove a bmw before the lexus
Or, maybe he drove a Ford, Nissan, VW etc.??
Old 01-01-16, 01:01 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Why not a Purrari?

Rainbows shoot out of the exhaust when I'd hit the accelerator. It was followed by a trail of skittles and children chasing the car like it was an ice cream truck! Was quite the sight to see.

The best part of ownership was when I got invited to the annual parade and chucked strawberry pop tarts at people like beads at mardi gras.

Life is good

So 4 seperate things broke down on my ES today-dnii4su.jpg
Old 01-01-16, 10:32 PM
Lexus081
Driver

added this kid to my ignore list, moving on.

So monday i'm gonna get the trailing arm fixed will post what it costs!