ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How to disable DRL with an Android app (Carista OBD2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 08:41 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to disable DRL with an Android app (Carista OBD2)

There is a new Android app that can disable daytime running lights on your ES.
(Disclaimer: I'm the developer )

The app is called Carista OBD2 and is available on Google Play Store. The Lexus-specific functionality costs $9.99 and you need an ELM327-compatible Bluetooth OBD adapter (another $10ish from amazon/ebay/etc.). That's it!

Here's how to do it (it's really self-explanatory, but I thought I'd post some screenshots anyway).
  1. Plug in your Bluetooth OBD2 adapter into the vehicle
  2. Turn the ignition on (to the point where all the dash lights light up), but don't start the engine
  3. Open Carista and click on "CUSTOMIZE" from the main screen:

4. If this is the first time you're connecting to this Bluetooth device, it may ask you for a PIN (try 1234 or 0000) or for a confirmation that you want to connect.
  5. Wait for it to determine what settings are available for your vehicle. Once you see the available categories, pick "Lights"

6. Pick "Daytime running lights"

7. Change the selection to OFF and press SAVE

8. If this is the first time you're changing a setting, the app will launch the Google Play in-app billing screens and will guide you to purchasing the Pro Package (which is required for changing settings; it's a one-time purchase and then you can change as many settings as you like, as many times as you like). The Pro Package also gives you access to advanced diagnostics of all Toyota/Lexus ECUs, not just the OBD2 stuff.

9. When you're done with the payment, or if this is not the first time you're changing a setting, the app will just go ahead and save the new value to the vehicle.

And you're done! No more DRLs
Old 03-28-14, 09:23 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts

dunno about mucking around in the cars programming with a 3rd party app...
Old 03-28-14, 01:55 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
There is a new Android app that can disable daytime running lights on your ES.
(Disclaimer: I'm the developer )

The app is called Carista OBD2 and is available on Google Play Store. The Lexus-specific functionality costs $9.99 and you need an ELM327-compatible Bluetooth OBD adapter (another $10ish from amazon/ebay/etc.). That's it!

Here's how to do it (it's really self-explanatory, but I thought I'd post some screenshots anyway).
  1. Plug in your Bluetooth OBD2 adapter into the vehicle
  2. Turn the ignition on (to the point where all the dash lights light up), but don't start the engine
  3. Open Carista and click on "CUSTOMIZE" from the main screen:

4. If this is the first time you're connecting to this Bluetooth device, it may ask you for a PIN (try 1234 or 0000) or for a confirmation that you want to connect.
  5. Wait for it to determine what settings are available for your vehicle. Once you see the available categories, pick "Lights"

6. Pick "Daytime running lights"

7. Change the selection to OFF and press SAVE

8. If this is the first time you're changing a setting, the app will launch the Google Play in-app billing screens and will guide you to purchasing the Pro Package (which is required for changing settings; it's a one-time purchase and then you can change as many settings as you like, as many times as you like). The Pro Package also gives you access to advanced diagnostics of all Toyota/Lexus ECUs, not just the OBD2 stuff.

9. When you're done with the payment, or if this is not the first time you're changing a setting, the app will just go ahead and save the new value to the vehicle.

And you're done! No more DRLs
Nice app but can you turn off the DRL's and turn on the lower fog lights in it place making them the DRL's now?
Old 03-28-14, 02:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Would this application work to change C-Best settings? Same thing as LPS except for older Lexus such as my 2000 RX300 & 2002 ES300.

And any plans to bring this to iOS?
Old 03-28-14, 04:39 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mspearl95
dunno about mucking around in the cars programming with a 3rd party app...
Well, of course you shouldn't take anything at face value, but we've done extensive testing, and we're confident that the app will not do anything "bad". If it fails to work for whatever reason (such as a bad ELM device), it will just not do anything, rather than mess something up.

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Nice app but can you turn off the DRL's and turn on the lower fog lights in it place making them the DRL's now?
We don't have a setting to turn the fog lights into DRLs. I don't think that exists on these cars, but if it does, we could definitely add it Do you know whether the dealer can do this?

Originally Posted by hypervish
Would this application work to change C-Best settings? Same thing as LPS except for older Lexus such as my 2000 RX300 & 2002 ES300.

And any plans to bring this to iOS?
We're currently looking into possibilities of supporting older models that don't use the CAN communication protocol. It seems possible with an ELM327, so yeah, stay tuned for updates.
About iOS: we're looking into that too. Don't count on it coming out in the next few months though.
Old 03-29-14, 11:26 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

i like this the idea is aweosme but will it work with a Apple ?
Old 03-29-14, 12:27 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i like this the idea is aweosme but will it work with a Apple ?
Not yet, but we're looking into it. See http://www.caristaapp.com/ios/
Old 04-14-14, 01:54 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Update: we've just released a new beta version with tens of new settings (not all apply to the ES, but still) and support for additional ECUs. Please give it a try and let me know if all is good: http://www.caristaapp.com/beta/
Thanks!
Old 04-14-14, 08:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm assuming the main reason folks in the U.S. disable their DRL's are aesthetics. Is this correct?
Old 04-14-14, 10:42 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

It seems like every 3rd response is how about iOS? Not anytime soon isn't going to cut it Carista........
Old 04-14-14, 03:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

very interesting and saves a trip to the dealer. Carista, can you disable the automatic telescopic steering in an 06 430 from your app?
Old 04-14-14, 03:17 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm assuming the main reason folks in the U.S. disable their DRL's are aesthetics. Is this correct?
I think so, yeah.

Originally Posted by jkeller
It seems like every 3rd response is how about iOS? Not anytime soon isn't going to cut it Carista........
Well, there's a few competing priorities that we need to address and we haven't decided how to order them yet. Namely: iOS version, support for older Toyota/Lexus models, additional support for VW/Audi settings, support for other brands (BMW and Ford/Mazda are at the top of the list)... so yeah, we've got our plate full. But I'll keep you guys up-to-date

Originally Posted by jadu
very interesting and saves a trip to the dealer. Carista, can you disable the automatic telescopic steering in an 06 430 from your app?
Thanks. Are you talking about an 06 LS430? If so, no, only 07+ LS's are supported (see http://www.caristaapp.com/supported-vehicles/ ). Also, we don't yet have the auto telescopic steering wheel option for any models, but we're working on it. That one will be available in the very short term (read: within a week, hopefully). We do already have the "auto-slide seat for easy exit" option in the latest beta version of Carista, it's just that the steering wheel one turned out to be more complicated from a technical point of view. It's definitely doable though
Old 04-14-14, 04:38 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would anyone disable a known safety device? The Swedes already had numbers on the safety benefits of the DRLs when Canada required them in around 1992. If you've got them......leave the damn things enabled.
Old 04-16-14, 08:00 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by oldgrump
Why would anyone disable a known safety device? The Swedes already had numbers on the safety benefits of the DRLs when Canada required them in around 1992. If you've got them......leave the damn things enabled.
Well, the DRLs are usually a yellowish color and just don't look good. I personally like to drive with my regular headlights on and also be able to control when they're on or off. But that's just a personal choice (unless it's required by law - in which case you should always follow it ). Anyway, I'm not saying people should disable their DRLs; we're just offering this option among many other options and allowing drivers to choose how to configure their cars.
Old 04-16-14, 08:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
I agree. When I see cars approaching at dusk, or later, with no DRL's or headlights on and they are barely visible to other drivers, aesthetics aside, you can see how helpful they are. Auto headlights are nice provided one has them activated.