ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Uneven idle with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 06:04 AM
buddhra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneven idle with A/C on

I've not been able to find any posts about this, I apologize if I've missed some.

About a month ago I bought a 2007 ES350 with about 44k miles. I've noticed that sometimes it has an uneven idle. It cycles between 500 and 700 rpm when in drive and 500 and 1000 rpm when in neutral or park. In both cases it changes about every second. When I turn the A/C off, it stops cycling and stays around 600 rpm.

I'm not 100% sure this is even unexpected, but my 2006 RAV4 with the same V6 does not do it. I've not found any info specific to the ES350, but have found various tidbits for other toyotas about idle air control valves, mass airflow sensors, and a solenoid valve that should come on with the compressor to compensate. None of their descriptions have me convinced that could be my problem yet though.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?
Old 11-28-11, 06:24 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2007 ES 350 which I didn't think was going to involve much but the problem was found to be the AC clutch assembly and the repair was major. Grill, bumper dover and more had to be removed to gain access and the car was down a few days for the parts. Luckily it was a warranty repair. Good luck with yours.

Dave Mac
Old 11-28-11, 06:37 AM
buddhra
Driver School Candidate

That doesn't sound good. I'm out of comprehensive warranty. Do you remember what that would have cost you?
Old 11-28-11, 08:03 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rough Idle

buddhra
Welcome to Clublexus. Just a couple of tips for you and any other new members.

Search Google prior to posting any questions. If you have no luck.

Use the search function on Clublexus. It is outstanding.

Every question you could possibly think of asking. Has already been answered.

If your looking into how your car operates. The owners manual for your car is online at this Lexus web site.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

It also has a great search functions.

Also just go through a few pages of the all of forums. All Lexus cars are built with the same parts. So a problem on your ES. Will almost for sure be the same problem on different model.

If after all this you have no luck. And want to start a new topic. State which type of car and equipment you have installed. For example the year. Is it a 330 or 350. FWD or AWD. Is it a Lexus that was sold in the states or overseas. Mark Levinson or Premium Stereo. Navigation. Rear Entertainment. Does the system work and your only getting a warning. Things like that.

On your rough idle with the air conditioning on. I recently had the same problem on my 2007 RX. With the A/C you would notice the problem more. As the A/C compressor adds more load to the motor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...les-rough.html

I ended up changing the engine filter with no luck. Then with the help of Club Lexus. I found out that your operating conditions will cause your car to idle rough. In my case my car has always been in the desert. With this information I bought a can of a engine cleaning product called.

" Sea Foam "

You remove one of the small vacum line between the engine filter and the engine. Then you spray this product down the intake while the engine is running. It lubricates and cleans the air intake components.

It is a two person operation. While you spray the fluid down the intake. Someone else has to be stepping on the accelerator to keep the motor above idle. Or it will stall out.

I used about a 1/3 of a can. As soon as I was done you could feel the difference. I now have added this service to my maintenance schedule.

Good luck and welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 11-28-11, 11:27 AM
buddhra
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. My problem is with a 2007 ES350 FWD Ultra. I have no trouble codes and the A/C heats and cools, as best as I can tell, with no problems.

I read through your problem and it really doesn't sound like mine. You talked about stalling and a loss in power, which I have not experienced. A "rough" idle, I would describe as erratic. Mine is smooth aside from it stepping high and then low about once a second. No vibrations, no loss in performance or mpg.

I've used sea foam before and had good luck with it. I'm glad it worked for you.

Last edited by buddhra; 11-28-11 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:35 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Idle

On my RX. I would be sitting at a light and the idle would jump from 700 to 500 then back agian. With the A/C on it would be even lower. It never threw any codes or lights. Didnt really notice until the first time it didnt start,
Old 12-04-11, 02:24 PM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

similar observation on 07 es350 acquired a few weeks ago. yesterday i replaced the air filter (i used K&N) and it appears that the problem went away. i will observer further and will let you know.

Last edited by CDNlexES; 12-27-11 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-26-11, 07:25 PM
buddhra
Driver School Candidate

I may have my solution, although it isn't pretty. I took it into the dealer today, the service manager rode with me, then he went and found TSIB L-SB-0010-11 "Idle Fluctuation with A/C On". I've searched here and not found it listed yet. I was able to get a copy of the first page and have attached a jpg.

It was issued on March 9, 2011, is applicable to 2007 ES350's prior to JTHBJ46G#7#087420, and the solution is to replace the compressor assembly with an updated unit. It's good for the 48 month or 50,000 mile comp warranty. The quoted repair cost is $2,150.

Unfortunately, my warranty ran out three months prior to the TSIB being issued and before I purchased the car. I plan to discuss with Lexus if there is any hope for me.

If I have to pay out of pocket, I would probably just live with it as is. One concern I have, though, is twice now, when stopped at a red light, my idle speed has jumped up and the car surged forward. If I had not been paying attention and pressed the brake harder to stop it, I could have bumped the car in front of me or possibly a pedestrian. If I'm going to be out $2,150 or have to live with a possible safety concern, I may opt to sell the car and find something else.
Attached Thumbnails Uneven idle with A/C on-tsib-l-sb-0010-11.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
carl0sfuen (11-15-21)
Old 12-26-11, 08:58 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Sorry - That is what happened to my 2007 long before the TSIB and replacing the compressor assembly solved the problem but not at my expense. I kind of agree I might live with it a while and then sell the car.

Dave Mac
Old 01-06-12, 07:02 AM
buddhra
Driver School Candidate

After a week of discussions and negotiations with Lexus, they've agreed to pay for the parts if I pay for labor. It will be around $500 cost to me.
Old 01-06-12, 07:05 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Well, that's not too bad a deal - I would have thought much more for the labor cost.

You did a good job hanging in there with Lexus.

Dave Mac