ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

3rd windshield in a month!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 04:49 AM
Vandam
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 3rd windshield in a month!

I had a crack in my original windshield that needed to be replaced. I took it in and it was replaced under my insurance policy. Within a couple of days, I noticed a tick and creak coming from the top of the windscreen area. Took it back in and they replaced it without any fuss. Picked it up and noticed the same noise again..this time a little louder than before. Back once again, and they replaced it for the 3rd time...work was done this time by their head installer/trainer. Same problem again! I had taken it in to the Lexus dealer with the second replacement, and the Service Manager indicated a defective windshield or improper installation.

So, what to do now? I am upset to say the least that they are unable to figure out what the problem is and solve it. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is still occurring? The original was replaced in all instances with Pilkington glass.

Help!
Old 10-20-09, 07:56 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

I'm not totally sure but have an 07 UL and as you are aware the windshield is not the same shape as the standard ES. The top of the windshield is shaped differently and the top moulding is completely different. I know some of the local franchise glass companies do not have the original style moulding. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with theirs but I had my windshield replaced and I gave them the lexus mouldings because I wasn't happy with what they were going to use. They only run about $50 and I haven't had any noise or problems from the Pilkington glass that they used. Another point is they don't replace the glass stoppers that position the vertical axis of the glass. At least they didn't at the shop I took mine to. Good luck
Old 10-20-09, 05:52 PM
Vandam
Rookie

Originally Posted by ESBob72
I'm not totally sure but have an 07 UL and as you are aware the windshield is not the same shape as the standard ES. The top of the windshield is shaped differently and the top moulding is completely different. I know some of the local franchise glass companies do not have the original style moulding. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with theirs but I had my windshield replaced and I gave them the lexus mouldings because I wasn't happy with what they were going to use. They only run about $50 and I haven't had any noise or problems from the Pilkington glass that they used. Another point is they don't replace the glass stoppers that position the vertical axis of the glass. At least they didn't at the shop I took mine to. Good luck
Thanks for the reply Bob.

Can you tell me more about the moldings that were replaced? Where abouts are they located on the windshield? I just had a look at my car and saw that neither the top, nor the sides have any type of replaced molding. Would it be possible for you (or anyone) to post some pictures showing what the moldings look like and where they are located?
Old 10-20-09, 08:49 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, take it to the dealer
Old 10-21-09, 02:02 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sirCharles
damn, take it to the dealer
+1, when I have insurance cover anything, right to the dealer, let it be their problem
Old 10-21-09, 10:11 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vandam
Thanks for the reply Bob.

Can you tell me more about the moldings that were replaced? Where abouts are they located on the windshield? I just had a look at my car and saw that neither the top, nor the sides have any type of replaced molding. Would it be possible for you (or anyone) to post some pictures showing what the moldings look like and where they are located?
I am attaching the file for the windshield installation for all models of the ES 350. You will be able to see not only the mouldings on page 4 but the stoppers also.The side mouldings are basically the same except for where they come up to the top moulding. The top moulding on the non glass roof model is basically the same as the sides but on the UL model it is a very large ribbed moulding that attaches to the glass and then when applied to the windshield frame is pressed into the adhesive to give a waterproof seal. While I agree with the other comments on this thread about going to the dealer for insurance work, not every situation is paid for by insurance or warranty and the Lexus windshield for this model exceeds $1000 plus mouldings plus installation. Mine is in for half the cost of the glass alone. Possibly this information can help someone who has to pay their own way as I did or in your case, where you are presently and asked what could be wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
0430019.pdf (310.4 KB, 336 views)
Old 10-21-09, 12:05 PM
Vandam
Rookie

Thank you very much Bob, that is very helpful.

Update: I have been in contact with my insurance company and they are willing to have it looked at and repaired by the dealer. I hope that this will finally resolve the issue.
Old 10-21-09, 01:42 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had mine replaced by Diamond Auto Glass this past spring and no issues on our Ultra.