ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Keyless Entry System

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 03:37 AM
hankie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry System

I recently purchased an '07' ES 350 and have been reading all the complaints here. Slowly, I am beginning to experience almost each one at one time or another. So, I am not to surprised when it happens. The ticking engine, rear brake noise when backing up, wind noise, etc.

I have something to add about keyless entry. Maybe, normal but would be curious if anyone else has noticed.

Yesterday, I had a friend test drive my car. I had the key fob in my pocket, the car was already running. He got in and drove off down the road when I realized this and thinking he would stall out someplace. That did not happen. Upon his return, he parked the car and said he had no problems. I was under the impression that without the key fob, you would not be able to drive.

He was not able to re-start it though after returning and turning off the engine. Has anyone else come across this?
Old 11-03-08, 05:58 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, that is the way it is suppose to work. Once the car is started it can be driven forever without the key fob being present as long as it is not shut off. Once it is shut off it won't start again without the key fob.

Dave Mac
Old 11-03-08, 06:23 AM
hankie
Driver School Candidate

Dave Mac,

Thanks for replying. Interesting that you can drive it afterwards.

I guess I won't be leaving it running unattended.
Old 11-03-08, 07:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Actually, the keyless entry is a little bit safer than keys in this situation. If someone drives off with the keys in the car, they can start and shut off the car whenever they want. Maybe even have your house keys too.

With the keyless, once the car is shut off they're out of luck.
Old 11-03-08, 03:36 PM
John_B
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Yes, that is the way it is suppose to work. Once the car is started it can be driven forever without the key fob being present as long as it is not shut off. Once it is shut off it won't start again without the key fob.

Dave Mac
I think that is how all Keyless Entry Systems work. My Corvette also works that way.

John
Old 11-07-08, 02:37 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Before I got this car, I read some article how the author was telling stories of people leaving certain cars with valets and then the cars stalling down the road some feet away. Then, the valets have to go find the owners to get the keys. I can't imagine why that person would lie so maybe some systems do shut off without the fob within a certain distance.
Old 11-10-08, 11:44 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I valet park the car, I leave the keys in the console cupholder. No problems ever.
Old 11-16-08, 07:23 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hankie
Yesterday, I had a friend test drive my car. I had the key fob in my pocket, the car was already running. He got in and drove off down the road when I realized this and thinking he would stall out someplace. That did not happen. Upon his return, he parked the car and said he had no problems. I was under the impression that without the key fob, you would not be able to drive.

He was not able to re-start it though after returning and turning off the engine. Has anyone else come across this?
Obviously your friend did not look at the instrument panel.

This happened to me one time. I got out of the car in the driveway, while it was running, and my wife got in to run one last errand. Forgot the key was still in my pocket. A minute later she pulled up, rolled the window down, and asked for the key.

She noticed the big red triangle and 'NO KEY DETECTED' warning on the dash.