RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Keyless entry system

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 11:56 AM
iewiew
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry system

This happened yesterday and I don't think this is good. My wife dropped me off and continued on, she called me and said she had a "Master Caution" light. She was 4 miles from me and I had the key. The car kept on running and she came back to get the key. Would it have started again, probably not. What if the car was hijacked, they would still be going as long a they don't shut it off. This car needs to quit immediately if the key is over 50'. Hear that Lexus??
Old 06-23-09, 12:16 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Would you rather have the car shut off and your wife stuck somewhere in the ghetto instead
Old 06-23-09, 12:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iewiew
This happened yesterday and I don't think this is good. My wife dropped me off and continued on, she called me and said she had a "Master Caution" light. She was 4 miles from me and I had the key. The car kept on running and she came back to get the key. Would it have started again, probably not. What if the car was hijacked, they would still be going as long a they don't shut it off. This car needs to quit immediately if the key is over 50'. Hear that Lexus??
i'm going to play the devil's advocate here...let's say suppose you had the keys with you, and you still got hijacked. it wouldn't change a thing at all.

it's the driver's responsibility to ensure that the keys are in their posession. i can fully understand your frustration, but if lexus had programmed the car to quit immediately over 50 feet without the key, i can guarantee you there will be lawsuits (the car stopped suddenly and i got into an accident that could have been avoided if the car was running, etc, etc, etc).

if hijacking is a concern for you, there are aftermarket solutions that you can install to provide peace of mind and safety. aftermarket alarm system from clifford comes to mind (specifically the blackjax anti-carjacking module), as well as lojack (stolen car gps tracking device)

http://clifford.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=719
http://www.lojack.com/
Old 06-23-09, 01:00 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Indeed, if the same lawyers were involved for the Navigation system as for the keyless system, then Lexus would not want an accident from unexpected engine shutoff. The fact that any hijacker couldn't start the car (in theory anyway) after they drove away and then shut it down is the best that can be done. Unless you've spent some years in LE or Military, Lojack etc would be better then immediate confrontation, or even with 50'.
Old 06-23-09, 05:02 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In additional to that Master Caution, I thought RX10 will be beeping all the way to inform the driver of this situation??

I also agree that the car should not be stopped suddenly and the car owner/driver should pay attention to it.

Maybe Lexus could add some additional passive alert, such as the light flashing outsides, to get eyes catched if the thievery is the concern.

Glad to know everything was going ok yesterday.
Old 06-23-09, 06:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yeah stopping wouldnt be the answer. If she was on the freeway, what is she suppose to do if it shut off?

once the key is out of the car, the car should display a message immediately and perhaps even an audible warning. This should be enough to alert the driver. maybe they should show a more threatening message on the navi screen
Old 06-23-09, 06:17 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I think I misinterpreted the scenario...did the master caution come on only after 4 miles? I assumed it was right after she drove away.
Old 06-23-09, 06:29 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by afpj
I think I misinterpreted the scenario...did the master caution come on only after 4 miles? I assumed it was right after she drove away.
Dunno... but I ever left my car engine ON after shifting to Neutral with the parking brake engaged. My car was making the aloud audible beeping (not alarm). I can hear it 50' away, and the passengers insides the car complained what's that noise about...

Maybe in the D gear, the way to show the warning is different...
Old 06-24-09, 06:02 AM
iewiew
Driver

The master caution did not come on until after 4 miles. I was near the car when she left, therefore no alarm. I would think that after range of key, car would would begin complaining loudly, in gear or not.
Old 06-25-09, 10:24 PM
stoen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iewiew
The master caution did not come on until after 4 miles. I was near the car when she left, therefore no alarm. I would think that after range of key, car would would begin complaining loudly, in gear or not.
Our Prius knows when a key is not in the car even if you are standing right next to it with the key. Seems very surprising that the Lexus would be a downgrade from this behavior.
Old 06-25-09, 10:40 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

On the GS it appears right away...I was driving while my friend had the key (was test driving before) and when he got out to pick up something the car went crazy (dashboard lit up, dash LCD displayed key not detected, beeping...). I didn't try to shift it into drive, but just turned it off instead to make it stop. I'm not sure why it let you wife drive so far before reacting...did you try it again at home? Can someone else confirm? It seems to be really strange behaviour to not warn you right away. You should probably mention it to the dealer...it should act like the rest of the Lexus lineup.
Old 06-25-09, 10:40 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stoen
Our Prius knows when a key is not in the car even if you are standing right next to it with the key. Seems very surprising that the Lexus would be a downgrade from this behavior.
Welcome to the forum.

Eventaully the engine won't start if you're not in the ranges or the doors won't be opened. The key range is quite short if what the owner manual describes is true.

I'd suggest to try to drive away the vehicle (your car or anohter RX) without the key fob to see if the same thing happens. This would be the better way to figure out what Toyota/Lexus has done to these cars. IMO.

Originally Posted by ivanz
On the GS it appears right away...I was driving while my friend had the key (was test driving before) and when he got out to pick up something the car went crazy (dashboard lit up, dash LCD displayed key not detected, beeping...). I didn't try to shift it into drive, but just turned it off instead to make it stop. I'm not sure why it let you wife drive so far before reacting...did you try it again at home? Can someone else confirm? It seems to be really strange behaviour to not warn you right away.
I heard the beeping, but didn't move the car, either.
Old 06-25-09, 10:58 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxets
I heard the beeping, but didn't move the car, either.
So that means it started beeping right away? Did you try shifting it to drive with the parking brake on (or someone pressing on the pedal without having the key)?
I would think it would do the exact same thing...and probably not let you shift from park if the car is in it.
Old 06-25-09, 11:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ivanz
So that means it started beeping right away? Did you try shifting it to drive with the parking brake on (or someone pressing on the pedal without having the key)?
I would think it would do the exact same thing...and probably not let you shift from park if the car is in it.
My situation was a little different, and I neither shift to D nor move my car without the key fob.

Dunno... but I ever left my car engine ON after shifting to Neutral with the parking brake engaged. My car was making the aloud audible beeping (not alarm). I can hear it 50' away, and the passengers insides the car complained what's that noise about...

Maybe in the D gear, the way to show the warning is different...
Driving without the key fob "should" be the easy demo ppl can try... I'll try it and report what I experience tomorrow.
Old 06-26-09, 06:58 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

... Driving without the key fob "should" be the easy demo ppl can try... I'll try it and report what I experience tomorrow.
OK. There could be 3 common scenarios...

1. The gear is in P, the key fob is removed from the car, then the driver shifts to D, GO...

2. The gear is in N, the key fob is removed from the car, then the driver shifts to D, GO...

3. The gear is in D, the key fob is removed from the car, then the driver... GO...

A moment ago, I tried #3. Once the key fob is out of range, my Master warning Light is flashing steadily. The beeping sound stopped once the door was closed and the car was moving, but I guess it will beep again after a while.

Attached Thumbnails Keyless entry system-master_warning_light.jpg  

Quick Reply: Keyless entry system