ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

spare smart key fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 11:32 AM
jk08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare smart key fob

Has any one get a spare smart key fob programmed?

I am in the processing of getting a spare but I encounter some difficulties.
One dealership say it can be done with an used key fob and it cost $55.88.
My dealership say they can do it complimentary, so I took it in and it turned out the master mechanic say he can not do it.
so i talk to the service dept. manager. after the long email back and forth.
He finally say it can be done with a master reset of the car's computer. but I will get the chance of locking it up and if it does, It will require replace the unit with a new one.

I did find out the procedure of resetting the unit on a lexus's TSIB and it suppose to do it when all the keys are lost situation and it does say you can only try 10 times and after that the unit lock itself and replacement is required.

Does this the "master reset" is the only way to add another key fob to the system?
Should I take the risk of doing it?
any comments are appreciated. thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-05-08, 06:16 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jk08
Has any one get a spare smart key fob programmed?

I am in the processing of getting a spare but I encounter some difficulties.
One dealership say it can be done with an used key fob and it cost $55.88.
My dealership say they can do it complimentary, so I took it in and it turned out the master mechanic say he can not do it.
so i talk to the service dept. manager. after the long email back and forth.
He finally say it can be done with a master reset of the car's computer. but I will get the chance of locking it up and if it does, It will require replace the unit with a new one.

I did find out the procedure of resetting the unit on a lexus's TSIB and it suppose to do it when all the keys are lost situation and it does say you can only try 10 times and after that the unit lock itself and replacement is required.

Does this the "master reset" is the only way to add another key fob to the system?
Should I take the risk of doing it?
any comments are appreciated. thanks ahead of time.
it sounds like it is being much more complicated than it should be,

I haven't had it done, but was thinking about getting one when I thought I lost my spare one, i think they quoted me at a few hundred dollars just for the key, not sure if that was reprogramming the unit etc. good luck, and let us know
Old 09-05-08, 08:51 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Search this forum for a real good post re. programming the smart key system. It was about a month ago and was posted by someone with quite a bit of knowledge. I believe the name was something like carchitect ?

It sounds to me like your shop hasn't done much of this and is over dramatizing the difficulty. If you have the option you might check out another dealer with more experience.

Dave Mac
Old 09-05-08, 08:56 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It is carchitect. Try this link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331715

Dave Mac
Old 09-06-08, 05:50 PM
jk08
Driver School Candidate

thanks much, I will check it out.
Old 12-07-08, 12:02 PM
WSU LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

if you are adding a brand new key never programed then there will be no problem programing the smart key but if you try to program a used key(programed to another lexus) to add that one you have to perform a master reset of the ecu all the keys to your lexus will be erased from the immoblizer and then you have to reprogram all keys again

master resets on immoblizer ecu can be done by only matster lexus tech
Old 03-27-10, 04:10 PM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I purchased a used key on Ebay. this damn key had the following IDs which exactly match the key which I have
FCC ID: HYQ14AAB
IC: 1551A-14AAB
DENSO

i took it into the dealer and he told me that it was not matching. STRANGE. so how do I get a spare key. real pain in the ##@^. i dont want to buy the lexus dealer key for 300$. the one of ebay came used for 30$( huh. u get what you pay for !!)
Old 03-28-10, 10:05 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
Hi,
I purchased a used key on Ebay. this damn key had the following IDs which exactly match the key which I have
FCC ID: HYQ14AAB
IC: 1551A-14AAB
DENSO

i took it into the dealer and he told me that it was not matching. STRANGE. so how do I get a spare key. real pain in the ##@^. i dont want to buy the lexus dealer key for 300$. the one of ebay came used for 30$( huh. u get what you pay for !!)

I THINK THE DEALERs are DAMN LAZY.. This is exactly the same model. the problem was that its battery was dead. hence instead of checking that, the dealer tells me it is the INCORRECT MODEL.. OR maybe they discourage reprogramming of FOBs which we buy from ebay.. EVEN though they charge 50 bucks for reprogramming. they make this a hassle. I will put in a new battery and try at ANOTHER local dealer.. lets see.!
Old 03-28-10, 12:49 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am too in your situatiion, got an ebay used one, and i my case, they blew up the car computer trying to reset my code, don't ask why .

You are right on my hand, many dealerships are saying different things about reprogramming... I too have the ebay one used so let see what happen.
Old 03-28-10, 09:56 PM
fleong
Driver School Candidate

Default reprogramming smart key

Had this done recently. Bought a USED spare keyfob on Ebay for $45 and had my dealership try to program it....they said it would cost $48. They tried for about 45 minutes and it would not work; they said that something is probably wrong with the used keyfob (even though it had a new battery, indicator light turns on).

I returned the keyfob to the Ebay seller and he sent me another one. Took the second keyfob in and they tried again and it still did not work....they decided to call the techs at the HQ and was told that they had erase all the keyfobs (two that came with the car and the ebay one) and to reprogram them as well as the ECU. It finally worked and they charged me only $48.

I believe that WSU Lexus is correct. If you are programming a NEW keyfob, then it is straighforward and only that key needs to be done with their computers. If you are trying to re-program a used keyfob (from Ebay), then all keys need to be erased and reprogrammed with the ECU as well, i.e., a master reset. If you describe this to your dealer they should be able to do it....not sure how much they will charge you.
Old 03-29-10, 03:56 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

So that i understand, does the master reset (new code) the same price that simply adding a same code to another blank fob ? I'm too are in your situation, bought an used fob on Ebay and hopefully, i can return it.
Old 03-30-10, 08:32 PM
fleong
Driver School Candidate

I cannot vouch for how much your dealer will charge you for a master reset and reprogramming all keys. My dealer estimated $48 to program an extra keyfob. When it did not work (because it was a used keyfob with programming on it already) and they needed to do a reset of the ECU and reprogram all three keyfobs (two that came with the car and the extra one I bought on Ebay)....they generously did so for the estimated $48. You need to tell your dealer that you do not have a new key but a used/programmed keyfob that needs to be reprogrammed as outlined above.
Old 03-30-10, 10:12 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

This is a great thread for helping to answer correctly the main question. For a simple programming for an extra fob is about 50.00 and for a master reset (erasing all the previous code for new one) is about twice the price as stated to the dealership.
Old 04-02-10, 09:41 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

what is the cheapest price online to buy a BRAND NEW UNPROGRAMMED Lexus Key Fob ( no manual key)

i found this .
Price
$140.00
89904-30270-RK
Old 04-02-10, 04:30 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Sewell also has it for the same price. Franckly, if you make more than one key, i would go with ebay, i got a quote from the dealer for a master reset for 100.00can vs 50.00can for a simple program.