IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So my smart card came in today and I programmed it to the car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 08:16 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my smart card came in today and I programmed it to the car.

After driving a LS600 for three days and checking out all the stuff this car had to offer I had to get one of these cards and program it to my IS.

New Smart card that comes standard on the LS600 Hybrid

Comparison of smart key and smart card.

I also found out that the 08 IS/GS/ES/LS models have different keys than the 06-07 models. The back side is cut completely open and only the face is coded. This was important since the wallet key also has a slot for a key to go in it incase the battery were to fail and you need to get into the car and hold the key directly to the ring and use the immobilizer to start the vehicle instead of the smart access.

08 on left and 07 on right

08 in back ground and 07 on in front.

-Joe
Old 01-24-08, 08:19 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I really wanna do the LS key mod. It seems cool haha.

But with the metal key how do we use it?

Did you also get the metal key made for your 2IS along with the LS wallet key to cover the little hole?
Old 01-24-08, 08:32 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

I'd get it, but I still need my keys to get in my house, so it kind of defeats the purpose. It'd be cool if I had a garage though...
Old 01-24-08, 08:36 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

i just ordered one myself. I cant wait to use valet, hand them the card and walk away.

That will be comedy!!!
Old 01-24-08, 08:38 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Now for programming the key.

You absolutely have to use the Lexus Dealer Scantool. It is a Panasonic Toughbook Table PC that is packaged with the Techstream rugged base made by Snapon tools in collaboration with Lexus/Toyota. The old scantool was the Mac tools Mastertech and was introduced into the Automotive diagnostic masket about 15 years ago and was severely outdated. The Techstream with its charging base is about $6000/dealer cost. Aftermarket support for the unit is NOT available and probably won't be. The Techstream works with wifi and can store datalogs for hours if the software would let it do so. Lexus made the smart access system with an encripted rolling code to safe gaurd our expensive investment and had given authority to US dealers to protect the consumers investment. Anywhere else in the world you pretty much have to replace ecus that come coded with keys. Hopefully everyone can see why the dealer charges what they do to program your car since they did invest in these expensive tools.

Moving on. These are screen shots I took as I was programming the smart card to the car.

Turning on software

Initial connection to vehicle

Selecting model

Selecting system (Smart Access)

Selecting new key registration

Utilities then Smart code registration

Smart Cancel function is not present on these cars. Its only on the LS430.

Select "I am just registering keys" and then Next

Old 01-24-08, 08:47 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Thats pretty cool! Thanks for the pics of the computer.

Im going to do a warranty on my IS tommorow i requested to turn of the DRLs and the advisor said he would ask if its possible. I got the print out of LPS.

Does the computer physically plug into the car or does it connect by a different interface?
Old 01-24-08, 08:48 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Next screen shows how many keys are registered to the vehicle and how many can be registered.

Selecting next moves you into programming and this happnes fast so I couldn't shoot pics of it during the programming as I'd liked to.

Hold original key to ignition switch ring as described.

The system will recognize the key and beep. The screen will immediately say to place key on passenger seat and place new key onto the switch

It will beep one more time and mention to place key on passenger seat again and wait for 20 seconds.

Then select registration complete. It will then show the number of keys registered and can be registered.

Select exit and your done.
Old 01-24-08, 08:57 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Thats pretty cool! Thanks for the pics of the computer.

Im going to do a warranty on my IS tommorow i requested to turn of the DRLs and the advisor said he would ask if its possible. I got the print out of LPS.

Does the computer physically plug into the car or does it connect by a different interface?
It plugs into the OBD-II port for programming LPS and keys and pretty much everything on the vehicle. The tech should be able to follow the directions I've listed and get it working just like I did. Make sure he does NOT select erasure or reset. Only key registration. Erasure and reset are for complete key replacement and not addition like we are doing. It is a lot more involved. This is generally only handles by master techs like myself or diagnistic specalists like a shop manager. Average techs won't have the password necessary for erasure or reset for this reason. They may charge you for the key programming. You'll just have to ask them. If they do it shouldn't be more than $100.

The blade key goes into the card itself. It clicks into place. Its a special key and you'll have to order it from Lexus. The part dept should be able to enter the VIN of your car on their dealer daily network to get the blade key ordered for it. Make sure they order a new precut key and not a blank for them to cut using their equipment. This blade key is different from other blade keys available for other models.
Old 01-24-08, 09:00 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, i really want this now...
Old 01-24-08, 09:04 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cspec
damn, i really want this now...
Same here! im thinking of doing jdm sidemarkers,halos and hid fogs in a week or so and then going to order this key
Old 01-24-08, 09:10 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am curious how the key blade actually works in the locks. So does that mean the 2008+ vehicles only need 1 side of the key blades for the lock and the 06-07 uses both?

What if we use a 08+ key blade and cut it to fit our 06-07? I would assume the key would open only if it is inserted in 1 specific direction, not both direction.
Old 01-24-08, 09:14 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

My blade key won't be here until Monday. I'll have pics as soon as I get it in. It wasn't cheap either.
Old 01-24-08, 09:28 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

got mine on tuesday and programed yesterday
Old 01-24-08, 09:37 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too...

P.S. They used a Cadillac CTS on the Toyota program main page lols
Old 01-24-08, 09:44 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

My next mod.........

Quick Reply: So my smart card came in today and I programmed it to the car.