ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

dangerous problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 06:17 PM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation dangerous problem

i was driving today, and all the sudden, the engine turned off. i had my foot on brake and it was in drive, then it shut off. i took out the key, and turned it back on. almost got into an accident! i drive a 93 es, can anyone tell me what just happened?
Old 09-19-03, 11:22 PM
NeiLtYmE
Driver School Candidate

it could be a power problem...

Possibly a sign of a bad alternator...
when you brake, it takes additional power.. if theres a bad alternator, then it wont be able to handle that load....
Old 09-20-03, 08:53 AM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by NeiLtYmE
it could be a power problem...

Possibly a sign of a bad alternator...
when you brake, it takes additional power.. if theres a bad alternator, then it wont be able to handle that load....
i already changed the battery and starter recently. so its the alternator? could it possibly be something wrong with the engine?
Old 09-20-03, 10:23 AM
howie
Driver School Candidate

Default bad alternator

If the alternator is bad and the battery can't handle the stop lights then how was it able to supply the high amperage that it takes to restart?
Old 09-20-03, 11:16 AM
ROLNLEX
Driver School Candidate

Good point there....couldn't be electrical, except the unlikely short in relay for switch. Did the car shudder or go really low in RPM's before dying? If so a sensor could be your problem, MAF or IAT or....really could be a bunch (sorry if that isn't the correct names for those sensors I'm new to the Lexus seen, had a Mazda engine before). If the car really just totally shut off, maybe a fuel problem? Just my two cents...
Old 09-20-03, 03:56 PM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You may want to look at

your throttle position sensor. Toyota has a known issue with some throttle position sensor which causes the cars to shut off or loose power.

Last edited by iammikey; 09-20-03 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 08:36 PM
ROLNLEX
Driver School Candidate

I was going to say the TPS also, but wouldn't it make it idle wierd at a stop? You should see the RPM's go up and down when braking and your idle speed change often. And of course I could just be wrong, like I said, I don't know Toyota's and Lexus as well. TPS could make it just turn off though....your lights/intruments and radio stay on when it shuts off don't they?
Old 09-21-03, 07:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

you guys should really consider using the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php

We covered this in the SC's a long time ago, and i have seen threads in here also. most commonly it is a failing fuel pump ECU. rarely anything else, but occasionally a sensor thing.
Old 09-23-03, 10:20 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did the car die at a stoplight soon after you stopped? Did the RPM's drop and it sputtered a little before dieing? Are your motor mounts bad? Bad motor mounts often cause the hose between the intake and the engine to eventually crack and this will throw off the sensor when you stop, especially after driving at highway speeds for a while. This seems to be a common problem with ES's, and I've experienced it with mine as well.
Old 10-05-03, 07:19 PM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Kyle Harty
Did the car die at a stoplight soon after you stopped? Did the RPM's drop and it sputtered a little before dieing? Are your motor mounts bad? Bad motor mounts often cause the hose between the intake and the engine to eventually crack and this will throw off the sensor when you stop, especially after driving at highway speeds for a while. This seems to be a common problem with ES's, and I've experienced it with mine as well.
No, the car gave no hint it was gonna shut off, it just did. I don't know, i took it to the repair place. They don't know what is goin on, but i had to do a tune up and replace two oil gaskets anyway. I'm gonna see what's up after that. Just to replace two caps is gonna cost me $500. They way they designed the lexus, you gotta tear out everything just to get to the caps. The car has cost me like almost two thousand since i bought it nine months ago. Everything that could possible be replaced has been. Next car for sure is something that won't kill me to repair and maintain. Thats why im selling my lex.
Old 10-05-03, 07:22 PM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Kyle Harty
I dont know, it just died without warning. I took it to the repair place, and they had no idea. I had to do a tune up and replace two gas gaskets anyway. Gonna cost me $500 just to put two caps on. The way they designed the car, you gotta tear everything out just to fix a small problem. This cars been trouble since i bought it nine months ago. Spent almost two gs on it already. Next car is something easy that wont kill me to repair or maintain. Thats why im selling my lex.