IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Bumper Separation: Response from Lexus Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 05:58 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 215 Likes on 69 Posts
Default IS500 Bumper Separation: Response from Lexus Corporate

Hi, I'm one of the admins on the IS500 Facebook groups and I was collecting VINs and pictures of IS500s with the bumper separation issue to share with Lexus directly. I ended up with a list of about 63 cars and sent it over to a contact there. I ended up getting a call today and we discussed in detail. This is copy and pasted from my post in the Facebook groups discussing the future plan:

Bumper Separation Update passed on from Lexus Corporate for the IS500 community.

I spoke with the head of Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales on the phone for about 45 minutes today and they wanted to express their current plans and timelines for the IS500 Bumper Separation investigation. They were extremely sympathetic and understanding knowing that this issue shouldn't be happening, and they're here to help get it fixed for all owners to keep enjoying their cars and not have to worry about this issue in the future.

They gave me details to pass along to all of the IS500 community, these are official words from Lexus. They also said that I'll act as the communication to the community as the investigation unfolds and I can pass it along to all of you as I receive it.

First of all, they heard the noise. Lexus quality assurance, Japan and US, are currently working on the bumper separation issue. They're looking into everything from modifying the current clips for the bumper to an entirely new system for holding the bumper on. They even said engineering is going as far as measuring tension on specific clips to genuinely get to a root cause to provide the best correction possible.

They said they want Lexus to handle the solution so owners do not have to worry. They understand if anyone has done anything to remedy the issue now(like a turnbuckle or splitter rods), and they apologized that people felt like they needed to become engineers to solve problems caused by their IS500 bumper separation. They said people don't have to fix it themselves, a fix is coming, but even if you did do a repair yourself you will not be excluded from this permanent fix. They overstated how they want Lexus to own the repairs so owners don't have to have that pressure or concern on them.

Their timeline for a permanent fix, for all owners who encounter the issue, will be targeted in 3 months. This permanent fix will include an internal bulletin shared to the 4 major Lexus headquarters as well as all dealer service departments that will trigger them to complete the necessary repairs when cars come in for service. They also may just contact owners directly, but that is still being decided. At bare minimum, there will be an internal bulletin when the permanent fix is in place.

They specifically told me that people who have previously had their bumpers removed for PPF, other work, etc WILL NOT BE EXCLUDED from this repair. They said even people with scrapes under or on their bumper will be taken care of. All affected cars now and in the future will be covered under warranty or good faith with the bulletin.

In the interim, anyone that's affected by the bumper separation that wants a dealer to replace clips to attempt to hold them over until the permanent fix is solved, this will be available. They said they can reach out to owners who would be interested in this temporary fix by their VIN, they already have my list so I believe they will be reaching out to those owners specifically. But they said that communication should come and if not, I can forward your request for the temporary repair to them. Those who receive the temporary fix will also still be eligible for the permanent fix, this is a hold over if someone is absolutely sick of looking at their bumper separation and to help ease your mind that a permanent fix is coming.

I will be receiving details as this process happens and keeping everyone updated as it comes to me.

If you do have the bumper issue, let your dealer know about it. It'll probably get you on the fast track for the permanent repair when it comes around.

They said 3 months for the permanent fix, it could be less or could be more. Just know they've heard us and that the fix is coming.

Thank you for being so patient and dealing with my badgering during this process. I'm so happy that it seems like our voices were heard and this will hopefully be solved by the new year.
The following 24 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
08sgmis350 (10-04-23), Admonkey (10-05-23), Answer (10-05-23), arentz07 (10-05-23), Bechtold (10-04-23), DaveGS4 (10-05-23), DLPTony (10-05-23), geckornr (10-04-23), GoHorns (10-04-23), HighRevs (10-06-23), HydrantHunter (10-04-23), Kanpai (10-05-23), LexLight (10-05-23), macmaster (10-04-23), MoltenDebt (10-08-23), MYIS500 (10-04-23), Pandonsf (10-04-23), Phresh2010 (10-05-23), snowyblue (10-05-23), SonicRob99 (10-05-23), tapjoy (10-06-23), TheWizard (10-16-23), wfibear (10-04-23), wthrman2 (10-31-23) and 19 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-23, 06:18 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Really great news. Thank you!
Old 10-04-23, 07:20 PM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 342 Likes on 152 Posts

I like Red for Lexus N.A. President!!! Giddy up!
Old 10-04-23, 08:04 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,283 Likes on 663 Posts

Amazing work! Great news! I hope they find a fix and make sure dealers are aware that every car is covered.
Old 10-04-23, 08:19 PM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

This is great news
Old 10-05-23, 04:17 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Love it, so glad they listened
Old 10-05-23, 05:14 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Thank you sooo much for taking the lead on this! I find myself looking at the bumper constantly to see if the issue has started. It’s crazy to be concerned about such things on any car, let alone a brand new Lexus.
The following 3 users liked this post by DLPTony:
04gita (10-06-23), arentz07 (10-05-23), Bechtold (10-05-23)
Old 10-05-23, 05:38 AM
acobb
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Posting to follow this thread.
I noticed my '21 IS350 had this bumper separation ever since I bought it with 20k miles. Had no idea it was such a widespread issue until I saw this thread. I had been assuming the previous owner had done something that made it flex too much. It's not super noticeable but I'd hate for it to get worse. I'm avoiding looking too closely at it as it is lol.
I'm assuming corporate said this fix will cover ANY IS model and not just the IS500?
Old 10-05-23, 05:49 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ILikeRed
Hi, I'm one of the admins on the IS500 Facebook groups and I was collecting VINs and pictures of IS500s with the bumper separation issue to share with Lexus directly. I ended up with a list of about 63 cars and sent it over to a contact there. I ended up getting a call today and we discussed in detail. This is copy and pasted from my post in the Facebook groups discussing the future plan:

Bumper Separation Update passed on from Lexus Corporate for the IS500 community.

I spoke with the head of Lexus Marketing and a Director of Sales on the phone for about 45 minutes today and they wanted to express their current plans and timelines for the IS500 Bumper Separation investigation. They were extremely sympathetic and understanding knowing that this issue shouldn't be happening, and they're here to help get it fixed for all owners to keep enjoying their cars and not have to worry about this issue in the future.

They gave me details to pass along to all of the IS500 community, these are official words from Lexus. They also said that I'll act as the communication to the community as the investigation unfolds and I can pass it along to all of you as I receive it.

First of all, they heard the noise. Lexus quality assurance, Japan and US, are currently working on the bumper separation issue. They're looking into everything from modifying the current clips for the bumper to an entirely new system for holding the bumper on. They even said engineering is going as far as measuring tension on specific clips to genuinely get to a root cause to provide the best correction possible.

They said they want Lexus to handle the solution so owners do not have to worry. They understand if anyone has done anything to remedy the issue now(like a turnbuckle or splitter rods), and they apologized that people felt like they needed to become engineers to solve problems caused by their IS500 bumper separation. They said people don't have to fix it themselves, a fix is coming, but even if you did do a repair yourself you will not be excluded from this permanent fix. They overstated how they want Lexus to own the repairs so owners don't have to have that pressure or concern on them.

Their timeline for a permanent fix, for all owners who encounter the issue, will be targeted in 3 months. This permanent fix will include an internal bulletin shared to the 4 major Lexus headquarters as well as all dealer service departments that will trigger them to complete the necessary repairs when cars come in for service. They also may just contact owners directly, but that is still being decided. At bare minimum, there will be an internal bulletin when the permanent fix is in place.

They specifically told me that people who have previously had their bumpers removed for PPF, other work, etc WILL NOT BE EXCLUDED from this repair. They said even people with scrapes under or on their bumper will be taken care of. All affected cars now and in the future will be covered under warranty or good faith with the bulletin.

In the interim, anyone that's affected by the bumper separation that wants a dealer to replace clips to attempt to hold them over until the permanent fix is solved, this will be available. They said they can reach out to owners who would be interested in this temporary fix by their VIN, they already have my list so I believe they will be reaching out to those owners specifically. But they said that communication should come and if not, I can forward your request for the temporary repair to them. Those who receive the temporary fix will also still be eligible for the permanent fix, this is a hold over if someone is absolutely sick of looking at their bumper separation and to help ease your mind that a permanent fix is coming.

I will be receiving details as this process happens and keeping everyone updated as it comes to me.

If you do have the bumper issue, let your dealer know about it. It'll probably get you on the fast track for the permanent repair when it comes around.

They said 3 months for the permanent fix, it could be less or could be more. Just know they've heard us and that the fix is coming.

Thank you for being so patient and dealing with my badgering during this process. I'm so happy that it seems like our voices were heard and this will hopefully be solved by the new year.
Youre the real MVP! great news!
Old 10-05-23, 06:09 AM
vj123
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for leading the effort OP and glad that Lexus is handling this issue the right way.
Old 10-05-23, 06:57 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks a lot for the update.

I wonder if the internal bulletin will be applied to 2024 MY or not. From the sound of it, it is still WIP process. I really wish Lexus would make it seamless experience, I really do not like my new car being worked by these NA Dealerships esp with the quality of service they have with Oil change on this 2UR GSE engine.
Old 10-05-23, 07:33 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by LexLight

I wonder if the internal bulletin will be applied to 2024 MY or not. From the sound of it, it is still WIP process. I really wish Lexus would make it seamless experience, I really do not like my new car being worked by these NA Dealerships esp with the quality of service they have with Oil change on this 2UR GSE engine.
It should. We have confirmed cars very late in the 2023 production run, delivered in Aug 2023, that have the issue. We also have a Toyota Quality Engineer in the group who is visiting the Tahara plant in a couple weeks to see how they're addressing it for 2024 on the line.

Last edited by ILikeBlue; 10-05-23 at 04:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
arentz07 (10-05-23), DLPTony (10-05-23), HighRevs (10-06-23), LexLight (10-05-23)
Old 10-05-23, 07:50 AM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Originally Posted by acobb
Posting to follow this thread.
I noticed my '21 IS350 had this bumper separation ever since I bought it with 20k miles. Had no idea it was such a widespread issue until I saw this thread. I had been assuming the previous owner had done something that made it flex too much. It's not super noticeable but I'd hate for it to get worse. I'm avoiding looking too closely at it as it is lol.
I'm assuming corporate said this fix will cover ANY IS model and not just the IS500?
I'm not sure honestly, they mentioned the IS500 specifically. But once this bulletin comes out I think n you'll have some evidence to point towards for the IS350
Old 10-05-23, 07:52 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight

Yeah. @ILikeRed You should tell them also to stop sucking at oil changes.
The following 4 users liked this post by macmaster:
arentz07 (10-05-23), LexLight (10-05-23), logjammin (10-05-23), vpar23 (10-05-23)
Old 10-05-23, 08:09 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 204 Posts

thanks for taking the lead on this!

Quick Reply: IS500 Bumper Separation: Response from Lexus Corporate