ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 02:46 PM
Kielbasa
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Replacement

Hi guys,
What brand battery came in the 2004 ES330 originally and is the correct size? We are getting to the point where we think my dad might need a new battery. When he bought the car in March of 2015, it came with a AAA replacement battery CCA650 with a date sticker of B4... where I am assuming this means... February, 2014.
What's happening is... it has been a bit on the cold side here in Connecticut and I had to jump the car towards the middle last week. My mom and dad went out for supper this past Friday maybe... for a couple of hours. The car started. The car sat on Saturday where it was pretty cold. When I went to start her Sunday morning for them, she was dead and needed to be jumped again. She is always garaged.
So when my dad bought the car, the battery was around... a year old. I do remember when I first detailed the car for him, I did have all of the doors open for a good part of the day and when I went to put her back in to the garage... she would not start. This was the first time that I noticed that this car does not stay charged for all that long. Since my dad has owned the car, periodically... if she is not used for maybe 3 to 4 days plus... in the cold, she will have to be jumped. I know he has left an interior light on once or twice and the car was dead the next day in warmer weather.
Does this sound like just a battery situation, or are these cars known to have problems with staying charged for long periods of time or having a draining problem?

Thanks...
Old 01-14-19, 03:08 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

24F is the battery size.

I'd get her battery checked first.
Autozone or Pepboys do this for free.
I think NTB will even charge it and do a full test.
If the battery turns out good, she might have a draw in the system that's draining the battery dead.
Old 01-14-19, 05:09 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 437 Likes on 382 Posts

It sounds like a battery issue. To guarantee it is and not a draining problem, you can charge it then take it to an auto pats store and they will load test it for free. It is quick and then you can be more certain you do not have a ground or alternator problem. Four years/winters in CT sounds about right for the average battery in my experience.

A successful way I have found to get a good battery at a fair price is to order an Interstate Megatron (green top) via Firestone online (different, better price than in the store). Then delete the $15 installation fee (or let them do it if you want). You will get a top quality battery at a fair price. The Interstate green top is a high-quality battery made by Johnson Controls. You can get a similar battery under different brand names elsewhere, but this is a really reliable way to get a good battery at a good price w/o overpaying or jumping through discount hoops or not knowing how good what you are buying really is.

I had one last 7 or 8 years, which was impressive as most of that time was in an unheated garage in NY (downstate) and then out of doors several years in northern Vermont, then in an unheated garage in Seattle. It was often only driven weekly or less. Granted it was a large type 93 battery not located in the engine bay (both of which help), but still...
Old 01-14-19, 07:38 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Ditto on the Interstate Megatron battery. They’re a butt bucket of amps and with a little eye-balling and maintenance once in a while they’ll go well beyond they’re 5year warranty.

Battery tip...
Remove Negative pole first to Remove battery

Install Positive pole first to Install battery

You’ll have to do a few resets for seats, windows and mirrors.

Old 01-16-19, 10:27 AM
Kielbasa
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I thought I had my dad sold on the Interstate and one reason being is because I have used them in my Town Cars, but his mechanic convinced him to go with a NAPA battery. So you know how it goes. I am going to put it in shortly for him. I appreciate the input. Thanks...