ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Experimenting with 02's Tranny & MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-03, 06:01 PM
cryhavok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experimenting with 02's Tranny & MPG

I would to know what everyone averages on MPG with the 2k2's and 2k3's. I'm curious because today I did some experimenting and was surprised.

My commute is about 15 minutes of HOV highway driving, averaging about 80 MPH. No weaving(well, maybe a little to get around the one that doesn't understand slower traffic move right) Anyway, today I filled up from a station right in front of my highway entrance and did my normal routine of driving with the Transmission left in D. Well after some hard acceleration on the on ramp and on the highway, I looked at my trip computer and I was getting 15.7 MPG. Granted this is pretty normal for flooring it so much, but I was still dismayed. It wasn't really rising when I settled down. I've averaged on all my tanks about 19.x MPG combined with city and highway. Anyway, with an average of 63.5 MPH according to the trip computer , I put the car into 4. While in this gear I accelerated to around 100 a few times to pass, but the MPG stayed the same if it didn't go even higher!

I would think that since the engine is running at a higher RPM when in 4 as comapred to in the extra over drive hear in D, then more fuel would be consumed and worst MPG, but the opposite occurred. After about a mile after being in 4, I was already up to 20.x. It also makes your car feel more responsive, because you can press the petal and get some acceleration without the extreme downshift lag. Also the engine braking is a big plus IMO. I exited with 21.4 MPG, my highest ever. I think this is a pretty sad mpg, especially for a car that is supposed to get 21 mpg city 29 highway.

I was wondering if anyone else had any tips to improve MPG. I left it in 4 for the remaining 10 minutes of city driving and reset the computer, but averaged about 18 mpg or so.

Now I think i will leave my car in D, but as soon as I get on the highway switch it to 4. I'll do some more experimenting tomorrow to see what happens. Anyone with any comments or suggestions?
Old 01-30-03, 12:41 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the calculations you are doing with such short lengths are indicative of anything. You have to look at least 100 miles or so and the actual amount of gas it took to go that distance. Using the onboard computer is biased to the number of data points the computer uses to calculate averages each time. It can be very uplifting and it can be dissappointing at times too.

I have an 02 with Mobil 1, stock plugs and air filter and run premium gas (93 octane). I will get 27-28 mpg highway if the entire trip is highway (ave speed ~ 70-75 mph). My trips are usually about 100-150 miles one way.

On the other hand, I get about 20-21 mpg for "city" driving. This is looking at the amount driven since last fill divided by the amount pumped to bring it back to full. My "city' driving encompasses short trips around town, a 10 mile commute in the AM and PM (max speed is about 45-50 mph), runs to the store, brief jolts up small stretches of highway....basically all areas of driving.

In all areas I am using D. I only slide it into 4 if I am in D and the care starts to joggle around 40 mph. (it wants to go to 5th gear but stays in 4th) When accelerating is not possible, ie traffic, moving the lever to 4 eliminates the joggle.

Keep in mind, too, that the posted EPA mpg's are under perfect test conditions and vary widely depending on driving style and location.

steviej
Old 01-30-03, 03:04 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steviej
On the other hand, I get about 20-21 mpg for "city" driving. This is looking at the amount driven since last fill divided by the amount pumped to bring it back to full. My "city' driving encompasses short trips around town, a 10 mile commute in the AM and PM (max speed is about 45-50 mph), runs to the store, brief jolts up small stretches of highway....basically all areas of driving.
That's a lot better than I've managed to get in city driving (according to the trip computer). By the way, have you already compared your own MPG calculation to the one done by the trip computer? I should do that to see whether there's any variance.
Old 01-30-03, 08:23 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, I do that almost every time I calculate the my MPG manually.
I have seen the trip computer be right on the money and I have seen it vary almost 2-3 mpg lower. Alot of the trip computer depends on when you last hit the reset button and the type of driving that was done since reset.

I should just be comfortable that I'm in the 20's for both styles of my driving.

steviej