ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ODB II scanner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 03:22 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODB II scanner

Hey, I own 96 ES300 and I want to buy an ODB II scanner to my car which will be also good for other cars. The problem is that I know nothing about these devices because I have never used them. Can anybody help me with buying a scanner and put me on the right track where I am to read about how all this works?

PS: I just bought my ES300 and there is much that doesn't work as it should.
Old 10-28-09, 05:09 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

The most cost effective scanner you can buy is a USB port scanner that uses a PC compatibile computer to read codes. Some cars (such as Lexus) started using this standard in 94, I believe that all 95 US cars use this standard. The federal government has mandated the base codes, and these scanners will be able to read and interpet all base codes for any OBDII car. Auto makers are allowed to add their own specific codes to the list, and some of these scanners may not be able to interpet these additional codes, but you will be able to read the base codes.

If you decide to purchase a professional scanner, plan on spending at least several hundred dollars up to several thousand. My personel scanner is a snap on mt2500. With these scanners you can read codes for not only the engine, but also the body control module, and the abs. They also allow you to control some functions IE. such as opening all the valves in the abs module so that you can bleed the abs valve block, or cycle the valves in the transmission.
Old 10-28-09, 06:07 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

Thank you George,
I wish I could afford the Snap-on scanner but unfortunately I can't I was yesterday at Pep Boys and found out that they had them in price ranges from $80 to $200 and the table showed that more expensive ones allow you to read more things. I wish somebody could recommend a scanner model up to $200 because I know nothing about these brands and I'm not sure which one I should pick. I want to buy it through the Internet (e.g. eBay).
Old 10-28-09, 07:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

ebay is your friend for sure, but as George Jet mentioned, you have to know what you want. Do you want a basic no thrills scanner that just reads the code, or do you want something more powerful that reads other information, particularly A/F sensor readings. The laptop method is the better way as it is cheaper and you can get a lot more information. There are such programs such as AutoEnginuity or the somewhat cheaper Digimoto that are excellent programs that run via laptop (you need an adapter, they don't work on the software or cable alone, but they do come with the package).

The ABS stuff I'd love to have on a scanner, but it runs in the much higher end.

Again, it depends on what you want to do, and then we can help you.
Old 10-28-09, 08:00 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

The problem is that I don't know exactly what I want because I have no idea what options are available in what price. Only thing I know so far is that I have a PC (not a laptop) in my garage so there is no problem with connecting an OBDII to the computer. Like I said I don't want to spend on it more than $200 so it is obvious that I may not get those options you mentioned. Actually I want to buy one just to familiarize myself with these devices so I'd like to find out what is the best I can get for about $200.
Old 10-28-09, 09:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'd look at ebay and look at scanners under $100. They have a bunch on there that do a lot of what a laptop/computer based program can do except for ABS (and then ABS is limited and you have to seek out a program that does Toyota/Lexus) (I'd defer to George Jet on this subject), something like this,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools

If I were going the laptop/computer route as a test/starter unit, I'd check out anything related to the ELMSCAN or ELM327 line. They are sold on ebay (the cheapest place) and you can usually find them under $50 shipped if you look around, and they work with a lot of software packages, Digimoto being one of them.

Honestly, I couldn't spend $200 on either the handheld or computer based programs, unless I were doing mechanics full time.

The key things based on my experience seem to be reading the a/f sensors to verify if an a/f sensor code is really telling you there is something temporarily wrong or permanently wrong. Those readings on both banks 1 and 2 are critical.

I keep a running count in the RX300 1st generation forum of CEL codes that pop up,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-you-had.html and keep in mind the 1MZFE was common to not just the RX300, but also the Camry, ES300, Solara, Sienna, Highlander and several other vehicles including ones that never reached the Western Hemisphere like the Toyota Alphard van.

One question I should ask you, is if you plan to use such a scanner on pre-OBD2 cars (generally those before 1995) as they run the OBDI system that not all scanners will run, but some of the top end handheld ones can do this as an add on or included package.
Old 10-31-09, 05:28 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks Lexmex, you helped me a lot! I think I would be using it mostly on > or =1996 vehicles but if the discrpency in price was not too big maybe I would buy OBDI-ready one...

Last edited by moskiter; 10-31-09 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 12:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by moskiter
Many thanks Lexmex, you helped me a lot! I think I would be using it mostly on > or =1996 vehicles but if the discrpency in price was not too big maybe I would buy OBDI-ready one...
Well some of the higher end OBDII scanners (usually the top of the line of say the respective models from various manufacturers) have a separate cable that will come with the package that will allow for OBDI. I remember my uncle and I got a scanner for him to use in Mexico, an expensive Snap-On, that had such cables, but there are ones that are under $200 that have the extra cable.

Last edited by Lexmex; 10-31-09 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 04:56 PM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

It's good to know, I will do some googling about it, thanks!
Old 10-10-23, 03:37 PM
Axeman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
The most cost effective scanner you can buy is a USB port scanner that uses a PC compatibile computer to read codes. Some cars (such as Lexus) started using this standard in 94, I believe that all 95 US cars use this standard. The federal government has mandated the base codes, and these scanners will be able to read and interpet all base codes for any OBDII car. Auto makers are allowed to add their own specific codes to the list, and some of these scanners may not be able to interpet these additional codes, but you will be able to read the base codes.

If you decide to purchase a professional scanner, plan on spending at least several hundred dollars up to several thousand. My personel scanner is a snap on mt2500. With these scanners you can read codes for not only the engine, but also the body control module, and the abs. They also allow you to control some functions IE. such as opening all the valves in the abs module so that you can bleed the abs valve block, or cycle the valves in the transmission.
I had a quick question about my MT-2500 Snap-on scanner. My RX300 is a 2003 that I believe is the last year of the Gen 1. ( correct me if I'm wrong)
However, all the cartdtiges state "Thru 1999" and I'm only able to use the generic OBD function. Is there some kind of an eeprom that could be swapped out to allow this unit to read a 2003 ?
I really can't afford a Solus or a comparable one that allows me to see real time data like this mt-2500 does on my 99 Saturns, so any light that You Can Shed would be greatly appreciated.
"Murphy's law, a $400 picture tube will protect a 10-cent fuse by blowing first"