ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Stereo ( Head unit ) Removal and Replacement tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 04:46 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stereo ( Head unit ) Removal and Replacement tips

This will show some basic tips I learned that are avoided on threads on this site, and lacking also in the FSM [factory service manual].

this shows the two screw locations at the bottom, as well as the two slot holes near the top of opening. the two holes in the middle section might go to something on some head unit installation kits.
see here:

this shot shows the two upper screws. these go to the top of the assembly. the assembly is what holds the climate control, and below that the head unit's sub assembly.
click here:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...l/100_2277.jpg

important tip: you do not just pull out the center vent. the manual says to do that. this website on numerous threads says so. all i have to say is your lucky if that worked for you. i tried that and broke my vents. now, i noticed something before they broke, but didn't think i had to use that which I noticed to remove the vent. now i need new center vents [aka "register #5" i think the FSM referred to it as]. Thanks everyone who led me to screw them up ! :P
see here:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...l/100_2279.jpg
You go to take the top screws out but can't access them without taking the center vents out. The solution is lift up two metal tabs and make sure they are being fully pushed up. And, try to pull the vents out with them as well. So you're lifting it fully up by placing say a thick screwdriver threw it, concurrently pulling on the tabs. Perhaps best to just stick a thing screwdriver in hole that way the the needle nose pliers, which you are going to have two of, to pull on both tabs concurrently, will have room to fit in their.
those metal tabs secure the vents to the dash when in the down position. something i wish i knew , and hope someone benefits from reading this. I think you can just keep them fully poped up while gently prying the sides to remove it.
In a bad situation, gently pry on the sides of the vent system, but while doing the above too to make sure you dont crack the thing. but you ought not have to risk cracking the blasted thing.
go here:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...l/100_2280.jpg

MORE TO COME , DO NOT CLOSE MY THREAD { YOU BASTARDS! [southpark] **

Last edited by llcoolpass; 02-11-08 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Add pics.