ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to adjust headlight position

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 05:56 PM
alwaysiyi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust headlight position

Hey yall, I bought a 2005 ES330 (HID-equipped model) a couple of months back and it been lovely, there's only one caveat, the driver-side headlights are much lower than the passenger side, which is fine with the low beams, but if I put on my high beams, the driver side, is basically pointing at the floor. The passenger side is a bit too high, I have found the adjusting "screws", but the tools I have don't make it very easy, my question is, are there Lexus specific tools I am meant to use or should I just use a ratcheting screwdriver, my other question, is there a specific way to adjust the headlights, because I have seen some people say that you have to adjust both horizontal and vertical at the same time. Some people say, just the vertical is fine.

Also, my auto-wipers don't work anymore, so when it rains I have to turn them on manually, and I'm stuck with just the 2 speed settings, does this mean I have to replace the sensor or could it be something else, when I go to spray the washer fluid, the wipers don't automatically turn on, which it is how it has worked in every single car I have owned, and I assume it is the same for the ES as well.
Old 10-26-23, 08:56 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 754 Likes on 630 Posts

Hello,

Are you sure the car was not involved in any front end collisions?

Headlights usually don't require manual adjustments, especially HID headlights with Automatic Leveling. Make sure that the headlight is seated correctly, all the gaps align with the rest of the car, and there is no visible structural damage, in which case the best suggestion would be to make it right and seat the whole headlight correctly.

If that is good, leave the headlights On after a drive, turn off the engine, then turn the key to On position, you should see Both headlights go all the way Down, then back to a proper level, see how far down each headlight will go, if both headlights will go down the same amount, even if one is significantly lower than the other, there is an issue with the headlight mount, or someone messed with it before. If, on the other hand, one headlight will not go down at all, or by a small amount, then there may be an issue with the Adjustor Mechanism, I am pretty sure that, at least for a previous generation ES, adjusted Both High and Low beams at the same time.

As for the Wipers, it seems like you have an issue with the Wiper Relay, a module that controls all the wiper functions, including Auto and Sprayer functions. The only way to definitively test it, as far as I am aware, would be to get a Techstream cable and look into that specific module for any error codes, this car should be advanced enough to monitor and store faults even for a Wiper functions.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 10-26-23, 09:01 PM
alwaysiyi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Arsenii, The car was involved in a front-end accident, so maybe that is why it is lower, but it is noticeably lower than the passenger side. Both of the headlights do the hole up and down movement when I start the car, I like to call it the welcome lights. It is just lower than the passenger one and slightly slanted

Thanks for the wiper relay, I will get my mechanic to look into it.