ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Headlights on driver side aim too high

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 08:00 PM
mikek753
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Headlights on driver side aim too high

hello,

This Lexus ES330 2004 HID got headlights replacement an year ago, have HID in reflector type.
The passenger side works as expected, I can adjust low bean left / right and both low and high beam up and down as expected.
But, I can't adjust driver side headlights down, it kind of stuck at top position and I can't make it aim lower.
It also has level adjust motor, which works as I can tell based on at car start time lights goes up and down a bit.

I see 3 adjustment screws:
1. top middle - from vertical screwdriver position - this should be up and down adjustment. but, has no effect when I rotate it on driver side at all
2. top left from looking at front driver headlights - requires very long screwdriver at about 30 degree position - this adjusts low beam left and right, it works
3. lower middle - comes with a cap, this adjusts high beam left and right, it works

how I can adjust from up position to required down those both low and high beams?
where high beam is aimed way up.

Anyone knows how that up and down adjustment works and how to get it unstuck?

thanks

this is vertical adjustment, that isn't working for me

Anyone knows how that part works?
Are there 2 screws that go inside headlight that in parallel do adjustment? or just 1?
maybe just this connector part is broken
this part is kind of blocked by car battery, that will need to be removed to allow more access to this part

Last edited by mikek753; 02-20-23 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-21-23, 10:02 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 759 Likes on 635 Posts

Hello,

Originally Posted by mikek753
The passenger side works as expected, I can adjust low bean left / right and both low and high beam up and down as expected.
Are you sure that both of the headlights are identical?

Please share a picture of both headlights and the way it is currently aimed.

The fact that your headlights have different adjustment mechanisms, I have to wonder if they are both the same factory HID headlights, as factory system is equipped with Automatic aim adjustment on both headlights, and doesn't have an easily accessible manual way of aiming. Adjustment is made using the Body Position Sensor in the back of a vehicle, on the Rear Right control arm.

It would be quite strange that your headlights are aimed differently, especially if they are the same HID system, it could indicate that either the headlight wasn't installed correctly, or there is some structural damage preventing a new headlight from sitting square to the road.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-22-23, 06:47 PM
mikek753
Rookie

thank you for the reply.
that plastic part was the issue, it got stuck due to broken tooth, bad quality plastic IMHO
I was able to adjust both high and lower beams individually or directly by removing that plastic part
just in case after my adjustment I put that part back to kind of lock in positions

now I'll need to recheck and to do micro adjustments as I know how to do it per each beam horizontally and vertically
likely I'll mark my garage door with masking tape to aim to it at night time from outside

any good instructions to follow for headlight alignments? please
I'll use 25ft distance, unless some other instructions

how to I make sure that the car is positioned at 90 degree to my garage door? how to do it?
so far I'm thinking just to use measure tape to each wheel from garage door, any better way?
Old 02-26-23, 02:13 PM
eshman99
4th Gear

Check out some youtube videos on how to adjust your headlight.