CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 07:06 PM
DatSRBoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount

I have a 2013 CT200h base model without nav package nor the dash tech storage. I did not want the the nav package because it was more expensive and I heard the map update cost a lot as well as the nav system sucked. I did wish I had the storage box in the dash option but I did not know the cars option much when I brought this car. Searching for a used dash with that cut out cost almost a grand. My last resort was to build my own bracket.

I did not want to mount a GPS on my windshield nor glue it to my dash. I did not want to mount it on my vents and block my vents. My idea came when I saw the newer Mercedes with the information screen right on top of the AC vents. The unit I choose is a Garmin DriveSmart 60LMT. It is a 2016 model with lifetime map traffic and Bluetooth. Avoid 2017 models because they do not include the live traffic power cable. You could use the phone app for the traffic update but its very slow and requires your phone. On the 2016 models and older it includes that cable as well as the Bluetooth so its a faster local update. Only get the 2017 GPS model if you plan on buying the reverse camera option which will include the traffic cable for a super luxury performance. With the unit I have I have lifetime free map update of the best garmin with up to date traffic. I also have bluetooth so it displays my phone calls and text messages as well as connects my phone to local point of interest. Its the best of everything in one unit.

This project costed me about 200 dollars and maybe 3-5 hours of time. My advice is measure twice and cut once. I used a piece of metal they use to spread cement because it was free. A metal ruler works great too since its the perfect withe and thickness. I bent to form around the dash for a as flush and close to the dash as possible for a clean look. I recommend tapping two holes to mount it as in the picture so it doesn't come loose. You can see how it is mounted and screwed on. I had to trim a little section off the bracket but i didn't have to cut the factory bracket. I feel like leaving that bracket will help keep the dash from lifting up years from now from heat. Since leather shrinks over time removing that bracket mounting spot would leave nothing holding that small section down. if you work it slowly you can retain that bracket but give it enough room for the power cable to slide around. That bracket in the middle is long but the dash doesn't come up to the end of it giving you almost a full half inch behind it to run cable. I brought a dual cigarette lighter slitter and tap it into the harness on the factory cig lighter. Green wire is + and the white wire is -. that way in the future i have an extra socket behind the dash in case i want to hardwired a radar detector or something.

Lastly I coated it black and and just made it look pretty with screw cap covers and tried to make it look as low profile as possible I feel almost fully confident i can leave it in the car and it doesn't grab attention. The unit mount is extremely solid and it does not block the view of the windshield. Hope this idea comes in handy for anyone willing to tackle this project because it is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-1.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-2.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-4.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-5.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-6.jpg  

DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-7.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-8.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-9.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-10.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-11.jpg  

DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-12.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-13.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-14.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-15.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-16.jpg  

DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-17.jpg  

Last edited by DatSRBoi; 03-01-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-02-18, 03:37 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks great, see you wanted to show off your work on Facebook too.

Have you considered the theft issue that comes up now?
Or possible traffic citation for mounting something that is blocking your field of vision. Or considering how low we sit in the car already, how does it block out ward vision?
Old 03-02-18, 05:44 AM
DatSRBoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gshadow325
Looks great, see you wanted to show off your work on Facebook too.

Have you considered the theft issue that comes up now?
Or possible traffic citation for mounting something that is blocking your field of vision. Or considering how low we sit in the car already, how does it block out ward vision?
A lot of the new cars now come with information screens right on the dash and it looks even more open than how mine is. So far I have not seen any of them come in with window smashed for people trying to steal that screen. I am hoping mine will be the same way haha. Mine is even more blended into the dash and look like its part of the dash since the mount itself isn't very eye popping. from outside looking in unless you are looking straight at it you will barely notice it. That is where my idea came from. In fact some cars the screens bulge up and block maybe an inch worth of the window view.

As far as the view for sure at 100% from the driver seat does not cover any part of the windshield view. The factory rear view mirror blocks more than this unit does. This unit actually sits maybe 1 inch higher than a factory Lexus nav screen will with the exception that its closer to the driver rather in the dash itself. In the picture it looks big but that units only sports a 6 inch screen. With my seat all the way down and leaning back (Gangster cruising post) the top of the screen barely touch the view of the windshield. best part is the bracket I made i can lower or raise the screen as i like.

I been driving like this for a week now making sure its something I feel works before I posted it. I am loving it. Live traffic with sync to my phone. It displays my calls and text messages and its so easy to glance over without losing sight of the road. I have not removed it from my dash in a week and I am feeling comfortable so far leaving it as is at places where I have been including Walmart. It is definitely not for everyone and it is going way beyond what anyone would waste time doing haha. I just hate hanging wires and mounting anything to my dash or window.

Lastly as far as I know of Texas doesn't have that citation issue with anything blocking the window view. People usually mount their phones or gps on the windshield here or straight up glue a mount onto their dash. I just moved it out of view and made it neater this way haha.
Attached Thumbnails DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-2014-mercedes-benz-cla-class-interior-dashboard.jpg   DatSRBoi Custom GPS mod mount-bmw-i3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Vegasaurus (03-26-18)
Old 03-02-18, 09:18 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Good job. I like it. Looks good. Can you take some better/clearer pics to get a better view of it though..
Old 03-13-18, 11:11 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You did a great job. I'm actually in the market for a CT myself. Fortunately, I've found some really good deals with navi equipped models.
Old 01-01-19, 12:51 PM
Citysunset
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Old post, I know...

I’m a new CT owner and just wanted to chime in on how great the mount looks. Nice job!!
Old 02-06-19, 04:56 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice work. I like when members are able to construct one off custom mods themselves.
Old 02-07-19, 08:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I actually like that. I want a solution to hook up a front camera or maybe a surround camera system and need a good candidate for a screen. or even just use this as a backup cam screen. Are you selling those mounts.
Old 02-07-19, 08:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

perhaps i'd mount it half an inch lower? looks like you can go just a bit lower. i wouldn't even mind blocking a little of the AC vent. like one slats worth.