2012 Navigation system question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 07:37 PM
Ct20o
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Navigation system question

Hello,
I'm new here. I'm new to owning a Lexus. The 2012 ct200 is my first Lexus and even though its 5 years old I really like it and now really understand the hype around Lexus (I always just assumed they were over priced Toyotas for people with too much money.I understand now that's not the situation.)
So, I bought a 2012 Ct200 a few months back it came with the navigation system and I like it. BUT I recently drove a 2016 Ct200 (got a courtesy car) and the navigation system was different. It had this home page that displayed my itunes music with album covers, the street I was on and the street speed limit, along with a compass and my current mpg. It also had reverse tracers for backing up. My 2012 Nav has none of these features. Is there any way I can get these 2016 features on my 2012 nav? The lady at the dealership said no I can only update the map. But that seems odd to me that it can't be updated because all it is is software and what software can't be updated? is she right? Is there a patch or anything like that anyone can point me in the direction? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-09-17, 07:11 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Congratulations on your CT, and welcome.

I too, have a 2012 CT200h.

Correct, the 2013 and below CTs I believe have an older software, I noticed this too when I purchased mine as my friend has a 2014/15 and his setup is a tad different than mine.

To my knowledge there is no way for our earlier years to update to the new OS, unfortunately.

Also, with the backup camera, same thing, I don't believe the reverse trackers were introduced until the 2014 year, but I could be slightly off. It's not a big deal for myself as I usually use my side mirrors as it is and use the backup camera screen as I'm about to stop.

For MPG and such, I pay attention to the mini dash within the speedo cluster on the bottom right, you can cycle through to it by hitting your "Display" button on the right top of the steering wheel.

Hope this helps some, any other questions, I'm sure we'll all be happy to chime in.
Old 03-09-17, 03:42 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 206 Likes on 122 Posts

Simply put, auto manufacturers introduce new features every model year or so to get you to trade in your model for a newer one. The same is true for software within the car, beit navigation or otherwise. Lexus won't invest in allowing the entire software to be updated, most manufacturers won't (Tesla is one recent exception). There may even be a hardware issue as well, such as a new CPUs or memory upgrades within the car's computer that's needed to run the newer software.

In the end, you're forced to get a newer car to get the newer software. Map updates are all you're limited to, and even those will end eventually for your car.
Old 03-09-17, 04:33 PM
Ct20o
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tofuprod: I do all those things already with the display, but man it was very convenient having it all on the Nav screen. I dont need tracers either when backing up but my wife would.

Raiden: I was hoping it wasn't going to be the "buy the new car for updated software issue." While all that stuff is nice and convenient I'll probably never be able to justify moving my 200 month payment up to 400 or 500 for a slightly different option.

Thanks for helping me out.
Old 03-12-17, 09:09 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

It's not just a software change. The hardware is also different and the conversion is possible but there are alot of pieces to replace, navigation brain, joystick, radio, ampfilier, LCD display and not to mention the wiring plugs are totally different. It's not cost effective and this point with the car not being very "old" and can salvage parts for cheap from the newer model. Buying the newer car model is usually the better way at this point in time

Toyota labels these different generation navigations
2011-12 is on GEN6
2013 is GEN7
2014-17 is on GEN8