Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade for GS groupbuy

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02, 08:33 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hate to jump in but you guys might want to check out SC & LS forums....they will work on the GS too...
Old 10-12-02, 09:14 PM
gsbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ap group buy

I am in if they will fit 18" SSR Competition wheels. I'm near RMM so I can pick-up directly and also go to test fit the brakes.
Old 10-12-02, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: ap group buy

Originally posted by gsbill
I am in if they will fit 18" SSR Competition wheels. I'm near RMM so I can pick-up directly and also go to test fit the brakes.
can you send me an email at henrykuo@ee.ucla.edu? i can forward you the wheel fitment chart, it's pretty easy to measure
Old 10-14-02, 04:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

UPDATE:

I compiled a list of specs on different kind of brake upgrades and I posted them in the GS handling forum, here's the link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60803

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60895

FYI today I test drove manaray's GS430 with the AP Racing brakes. All I can say is wow, the braking power is speechless....

Last edited by rominl; 10-14-02 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-14-02, 06:03 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default hmmmm

ARe you 4 who are buying getting BIG power from your cars to justify these big brakes?

Otherwise are they worth it even in a group buy?
If it's for regular streetlight encounters...getting stock toyota supra brakes/calipers for a 1/3 or the price of the GB price would provide all the necessary stopping power in street conditions of ANY usual fast car.

I think these brakes are for "RACING". Are you for taking your GS400s to the track?

Just wondering.
Old 10-14-02, 06:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
ARe you 4 who are buying getting BIG power from your cars to justify these big brakes?

Otherwise are they worth it even in a group buy?
If it's for regular streetlight encounters...getting stock toyota supra brakes/calipers for a 1/3 or the price of the GB price would provide all the necessary stopping power in street conditions of ANY usual fast car.

I think these brakes are for "RACING". Are you for taking your GS400s to the track?

Just wondering.
to me i think it's justified. it's all about safety and the better the brakes the better the results. it's not only about brake fade imho coz' it helps tremendously on braking distance too. that's what it counts most to me. i actually thought about it and i figured i'd rather spend money to get good brakes that will save me rather than more hp on the car. and the stock brakes on our cars are too soft and not very sensitive to begin with anyway.
Old 10-14-02, 07:31 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default but again my question is..

Well..if your issue is safety...the toyota supra stock breaks are more then enough to stop our cars better than the lexus breaks.

Also AP racing brakes are plenty powerful, but bigger brakes also do not equal longer lasting. Actually AP brakes last LESS than stock because they wear out faster.

So wouldn't it make some sense to go after supra brakes? Just a thought.

Don't get me wrong..I love AP racing brakes. I'm just wondering.
Old 10-14-02, 07:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: but again my question is..

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
Well..if your issue is safety...the toyota supra stock breaks are more then enough to stop our cars better than the lexus breaks.

Also AP racing brakes are plenty powerful, but bigger brakes also do not equal longer lasting. Actually AP brakes last LESS than stock because they wear out faster.

So wouldn't it make some sense to go after supra brakes? Just a thought.

Don't get me wrong..I love AP racing brakes. I'm just wondering.
umm.... i guess it comes down to whether it's enough or not, and i am sure the 6 pistons ap racing would be even better than the supra tt upgrade (heavier, 4 pistons). imho i would always choose to do it right the first time, so since i am looking for an upgrade i would rather get the one that's really good, even if it's a bit more pricey.

oh and btw, after talking to Stillen, they told me that if you don't go out and track your car every day, and if you use your brakes mainly for street use, they have seen people with ap racing 6 pistons and the pads last for 30 to 40k miles. for rotors if you maintain the brakes well it should be good for 4 to 5 pads wear. this is very good imho
Old 10-14-02, 09:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

UPDATE:

We have added SC owners to the GB. The brake kit will also fit 92-00 SC400, and 99-00 SC300, so you guys are welcome to join. Email me at henrykuo@ee.ucla.edu for more info.

Because of the new SC owners, the deadline of the GB has been postponed from 10/18 to 10/21. You need to place order before the deadline. So far I believe there are 4 people already and we need 5.
Old 10-18-02, 12:25 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: but again my question is..

Originally posted by rominl

umm.... i guess it comes down to whether it's enough or not, and i am sure the 6 pistons ap racing would be even better than the supra tt upgrade (heavier, 4 pistons). imho i would always choose to do it right the first time, so since i am looking for an upgrade i would rather get the one that's really good, even if it's a bit more pricey.

oh and btw, after talking to Stillen, they told me that if you don't go out and track your car every day, and if you use your brakes mainly for street use, they have seen people with ap racing 6 pistons and the pads last for 30 to 40k miles. for rotors if you maintain the brakes well it should be good for 4 to 5 pads wear. this is very good imho
30-40k!!!!!! OMG!!! My bimbos will only last me about 15-20k =(
Old 10-18-02, 01:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: but again my question is..

Originally posted by see_fu

30-40k!!!!!! OMG!!! My bimbos will only last me about 15-20k =(
yup, that's what stillen told me. of course they also add that the pads are quite sensitive to driving. if you drive your car hard they have seen pads that are gone in 10k miles too
Old 10-18-02, 01:26 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by rominl

to me i think it's justified. it's all about safety and the better the brakes the better the results. it's not only about brake fade imho coz' it helps tremendously on braking distance too. that's what it counts most to me
not to burst bubbles or sway anyones opinion, but more pistons and a larger swept area do not necessarily decrease braking distances. braking distances are more a factor of traction, therefore your tires. if you think about it, 2 pistons that you have now in the front can cause lock up of your wheels (loss of traction), as can 4 or 6 pistons. now in repeated hard, hard stops (ie track conditions) the upgraded brakes will help with fade resistance and modulation. but for normal e'ryday street use, they (big brakes) are almost overkill...........

Doc
Old 10-18-02, 05:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by DrRick

not to burst bubbles or sway anyones opinion, but more pistons and a larger swept area do not necessarily decrease braking distances. braking distances are more a factor of traction, therefore your tires. if you think about it, 2 pistons that you have now in the front can cause lock up of your wheels (loss of traction), as can 4 or 6 pistons. now in repeated hard, hard stops (ie track conditions) the upgraded brakes will help with fade resistance and modulation. but for normal e'ryday street use, they (big brakes) are almost overkill...........

Doc
i know what you saying, but i can only speak from my experience with ap racing. it could be the case that normal brakes upgrade like the brembo, etc... are more of an issue on brake fade, etc... but i tried the ap racing myself and i literally stopped the car in no time. manaray told me the story that his friend test drove his car (his friend also has a gs4) and he ended up stopping the car 4 car lengths before the light and he hasn't even applied his "normal" foot pressure. i think that says a lot
Old 10-18-02, 05:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok it's time for payment info. if you are interested in the GB, give stillen a call and they will take care of you. the GB will end at the end of next monday (before they close at around 4 or 5pm pst)

Stillen Brake-pros
Shawn Stavis
1-800-576-2131
ext. 122
shawns@stillen.com

as usual if you have questions welcome to email me at henrykuo@ee.ucla.edu
Old 10-18-02, 06:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DrRick - Have you driven a GS with a big brake package? (AP, Brembo, whatever) It's hard to explain w/o having actually driven a car with that kind of brake package.

I am going to conduct some 60 to 0 and 100 to 0 brake distance tests with my SC and the OEM Brembo package. This will be for both fade and overall brake distance...in both cases, I will be STOMPING on the brakes to completely test the limits of both systems. I am also going to track the car on the same track as the last event to we'll see if my track times go down. I figure they will because I will be able brake much later than I did before....

And I can tell you from actually owning a car with the AP 6-piston system that it is WORLD apart from the stock brakes in my SC. I can HONESTLY say that it's not overkill. Every time I get into my SC I feel like I'm going to rear end everyone....(not in that gay, prison-style-with-no-reach-around way...)

As for the milage on the pads, I would say Stillen's estimations are correct...for more "performance" drivers, I would say 10K to 20K is more realistic.

Also, Stillen told me that the rotors need to be changed with the pads...has that info changed? I suppose that would apply to track use...for street use, I can see how the same rotor can be used for quite a bit...

DaveGS400 is the one who test drove my car...ask him about stopping far too short of the stop line...

Quick Reply: AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade for GS groupbuy