Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my ONE word on the AP Racing brakes: must read

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-02, 04:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default my ONE word on the AP Racing brakes: must read

:eek:

Yes, that's my comment. i have been dreaming about this setup for a long time, but as always i want to test it out before putting my wallet on it. manaray is the only guy i know in the forum with the ap racing 6 pistons setup, and he was nice enough to let me drove his car for a while.

let me put it this way. you REALLY have to re-learn braking.... this is the exact same comment from manaray and also davegs4. i didn't really get what it means, until i drove the car and now i am saying the exact same thing.

the brakes stops so fast. when i hopped on the car, i was at a stop sign, so i rolled forward a little bit and wanted to slowly hit the brakes. well, i barely touched the brakes and the car came to a sudden stop. well, needless to say i felt so embarassed, my gf was thrown forward (thank god manarary reminded her to put on the seat belt), and i saw that grin of smile on manaray's face

it took me couple of stops to start accepting the fact that i need to touch the brakes to stop, not press it. every single time the car came to a complete stop way before i expected it to.

finally he let me gunned the car to around 65 and hard brake. well, i tried. but seriously by the time i really started braking the car stopped so fast, the tires started to squeak, and so i basically let it go already. i don't know for sure but i wouldn't be surprise if the kit would make the gs stops in around (or even less) than 100 feet. keep in mind i haven't even pressed hard and abs hasn't come in and the car stopped from 60-0 in no time already

i am IMPRESSED... this is definitely the king, no questions ask, best performance brakes out there for sure!!!!

oh and of course, thanks manaray!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-02, 07:01 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We are borg...you have been assimilated...

Hehehe...glad you liked the brake setup...like I stated a LONG time ago, the AP Racing 6-Piston setup is NO JOKE. It's as serious as you get when it comes to brakes...Qbranch is another GS owner with AP's (he's had them for as long as I have I think...great, I mean SICK, minds think alike... )

As soon as our new 4-piston Brembo setup comes out, it will interesting to test the two side by side...we're hoping to make the Brembo setup nearly as impressive...Of course, there is a $1200+ price difference...

What else is nice about the AP setup (and any big brake setup) is the lack of brake fade. I don't know how many of you can actually drive your cars hard enough to get brake fade, but let me tell ya, not having brakes after a hot run through the canyon sucks major ***...especially when you're coming up on traffic! :eek:

As always...REAL MODS. Not some gay blinking lights, neon underbody lighting and chrome stickers...oh look, my calipers aren't red...they must not be performance!

Last edited by Manaray; 10-14-02 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-14-02, 03:09 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys

Just wondering if there are any adverse affects to how the existing ABS system works, when upgrading to a aftermarket braking package. I assume not, but would like clarification/validation from those who 'know'.

thanx in advance.
Old 10-14-02, 03:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nop, there is no effect. when it needs to kicks in it still will
Old 10-14-02, 03:36 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Manaray, I see you have HRE's on your car, any ideas on how I can find out if these brakes will fit behind my 20" HRE's. I bought them used, so Im not sure on all of the specs on the wheel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-14-02, 03:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Manaray, I see you have HRE's on your car, any ideas on how I can find out if these brakes will fit behind my 20" HRE's. I bought them used, so Im not sure on all of the specs on the wheel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
umm.... like i said email me at henrykuo@ee.ucla.edu and i can send you the brake fitment chart? it's very easy to measure.
Old 10-14-02, 10:55 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanx Romil

Thanx Henry....I PM'd you.

Kam