Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

some good info on brakes upgrade (spec)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 05:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default some good info on brakes upgrade (spec)

well after some research i got some specs on different brakes upgrades, so i figured it would be a good idea to post them up here for people who are interested in future mods on brakes. all these are big brakes upgrade which require you to get aftermarket wheels. most likely you will need to have at least 17" (18" or larger preferred) wheels, high disk, and the correct offset that provides enough wheel clearance. you should always make sure the fitment is correct before you get the upgrades, coz' these upgrades would always cost you.

stock gs brakes
font caliper - 2 pistons, 15lb
front rotor - 11.5" diameter, 18lb
rear rotor - 12" diameter, 12lb

supra tt upgrade (around a bit over $1000)
caliper - 4 pistons, 15lb
rotor - 12.7" diameter, 20lb

brembo GT upgrade (around $2800 to $3000)
caliper - 4 pistons, 7lb
rotor - 13.1"
piston area - 1.5"x2, 1.73"x2
pad area - 9.6"^2
rotor thickness - 1.26"

ap racing upgrade (around $3200 retail, there is a GB now for $2599 )
caliper - 6 pistons, 6lb
rotor - 13.5"
piston area - 1.1"x2, 1.6"x2, 1.5"x2
pad area - 11.8"^2
rotor thickness - 1.4"

stoptech upgrade (around $1800 to $2000)
caliper - 4 pistons (will fit in stock 17" wheel)
rotor - 13.1"

these are all the info i have on my hands now. if you guys have anymore info welcome to add to the list
The following users liked this post:
Chowster (08-08-17)
Old 10-13-02, 05:18 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info.
Old 10-13-02, 05:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

imho every upgrade has their pros and cons. from the list it's clear that the ap racing and brembo have the lightest calipers, and they are lighter than the stock or the supra tt ones by a big margin. the ap racing one is a big lighter, but it has 6 pistons instead of 4 on the brembo.

on rotor size they are pretty much the same. ap racing has the largest disk but now by a lot. it's slight larger and thicker than the brembo.

i kinda believe you get what you pay for. it's pretty safe to say that the ap racing brake upgrades is the best on the list performance-wise, but yes it comes in a high price. with the GB going on you can get them at some killer price (for the brakes) which is like 600 under retail. if you are looking for the best brakes out there ap racing is definitely the one to get. it stops in a dime and it looks awesome (huge caliper)

brembo is definitely the second on the list imho. from what manaray posted these two days (man, he likes to tease), it seems to be some sort of upgrade with brembo calipers and 13" rotors. i guess it would be ready in couple of months and it would be interesting to see how that compares to the brembo upgrade. it seems like his upgrade would have some very good price.

the supra tt upgrade is probably the most economic upgrade out there if you want to get away from the stock 2 pistons setup. it's a direct swap with no modification and it's pretty good. the bad thing is that the caliper is still veyr heavy, 15" compared to 6lb (ap racing) and 7lb (brembo). the rotors is also a bit smaller in diameter.

so what should you get? imho if you have a tight budget and just want a slightly better upgrade from the stock, i believe the supra tt upgrade is a very decent one.

if you have more money and are willing with wait couple of months, it would be interesting to see what manaray has for all of us. it sounds quite promising and could be a very good alternative to the true brembo GT upgrade.

if you need some upgrade soon and / or is looking for the best performance / look, then the ap racing upgrade is definitely the one no brainer. like i said at $2600 ($600 under retail) it's unbeatable for what you get. unless people start to back out there are already 4 people in the GB and we need 5 people. there is a thread in the GB forum.
Old 10-13-02, 08:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's some great info there! Thanks for taking the time to put that together!

AP Racing = King of the Hill.

As stated, work is underway on a very nice Brembo setup. It will be equivalent to the Brembo GT setup but without the nice Brembo box...and without the $2995 Brembo price.

I have posted some information (in a Poll) on both the SC and LS forums. Only because I wanted to gauge their interest. I assume the GS guys would be interested...
Old 10-14-02, 03:46 AM
zenki300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 7lbs. and 6lbs. for the AP and Brembos! I wonder how much the rotors that are included with the kits weigh too.

Rominl, that's a nice collection of information you got going there, good job. Now it would be nice if someone could post the stats of the Endless 6piston brake system too. From my understanding, those brakes are some of the best too.

There's more setups out there too, like the TRD monoblock kit (the one on the back of HyperRev no.69).

And wasn't there a groupbuy going on for the Wilwood dynolite setup too?
Old 10-14-02, 04:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by zenki300
Wow, 7lbs. and 6lbs. for the AP and Brembos! I wonder how much the rotors that are included with the kits weigh too.

Rominl, that's a nice collection of information you got going there, good job. Now it would be nice if someone could post the stats of the Endless 6piston brake system too. From my understanding, those brakes are some of the best too.

There's more setups out there too, like the TRD monoblock kit (the one on the back of HyperRev no.69).

And wasn't there a groupbuy going on for the Wilwood dynolite setup too?
yeah, i would really like to get more info on other setups too, it would be good to put them together so people can just refer to the list for info. i tried but i couldn't find info on the weight of the brembo and ap racing rotors, i figured it would be a very very very good data to put in. well if i really get the ap racing upgrade i can definitely try to measure it.

as far as i know velisideGS3 is the only guy in the forum with the endless 6 pistons. the endless site, imho, is quite useless at this point, they don't even have anything to click on, less on any info about the upgrade.

if anyone else has any info, welcome to add to the list
Old 10-14-02, 01:16 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Henry, this is great info.
Old 09-02-04, 03:19 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

info that needs to be shared
Old 09-02-04, 11:37 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very good henry that is vital info but does anyone have the specs on the rotora stuff ??
Old 09-03-04, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow damn is this old stuff. man, 2 yrs ago...... time flies...... i didn't realize brakes was among the first stuff i put on the car!

Last edited by rominl; 09-03-04 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 09:48 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
wow damn is this old stuff. man, 2 yrs ago...... time flies...... i didn't realize brakes was among the first stuff i put on the car!
Very good info Henry!!
Old 09-03-04, 02:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Very old thread. I'll see if I can find the StopTech info I posted ages ago. My 14" StopTech rotors and calipers are definitely lighter than stock.
Old 09-03-04, 03:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Henry,

(From the wayback machine) Do you know if these weights are with or without pads? Were they done on an accurate scale (what's the source?)? I

The weights I did of my old Supra TT calipers WITH pads and rotors were a bit different. I took them to a tabletop digital scale used for UPS shipments to weigh them. I'm guessing the ones you did were without pads, but for each one of these we should post with / without pads as it makes a significant weight difference.

Supra Rotor 19.65 (drilled / slotted)
Supra TT caliper with pad 16.45

Brembo 355 GT (14 inch setup)
Rotors ( 2 piece drilled only) 17.25 lbs
Brembo caliper 4pot with pad 9.9 lbs
Old 09-03-04, 08:32 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably you also need to include the brackets ... I think except for the Supra TT calipers, all other brake kits will require brackets...
Old 09-17-04, 01:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Henry,

(From the wayback machine) Do you know if these weights are with or without pads? Were they done on an accurate scale (what's the source?)? I

The weights I did of my old Supra TT calipers WITH pads and rotors were a bit different. I took them to a tabletop digital scale used for UPS shipments to weigh them. I'm guessing the ones you did were without pads, but for each one of these we should post with / without pads as it makes a significant weight difference.

Supra Rotor 19.65 (drilled / slotted)
Supra TT caliper with pad 16.45

Brembo 355 GT (14 inch setup)
Rotors ( 2 piece drilled only) 17.25 lbs
Brembo caliper 4pot with pad 9.9 lbs
i believe those numbers are without pads. and i got those info from different brochures i got from different companies coz' i couldn't find someone who knows all about them. i figured they would be the most optimistic number in their brochures, so worth mentioning?

Quick Reply: some good info on brakes upgrade (spec)