Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

V160 6spd Adapter Plate & Clutch Kit for the GS400/430 and SC400/430

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 04:39 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, this is just awesome!!! Morris and I were talking about it at a meet today.
Let me tell you, I am VERY happy to be able to offer this to the Club Lexus community. MVP Motorsports is demonstrating with this it's dedication to Lexus performance. We firmly believe that there is more to Lexus that just body kits, and wheels, especially with the GS/SC430. Can we keep up and match performance with the almighty 2jz? I very much believe we can.

Thanks guys,

Eric
Old 02-03-07, 06:03 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Nevada3
Eric

I know you are partial to the 6 speed, but could you give a few more details about the less expensive 5 speed route? My friend has a non-turbo, 5 speed, 1990 Supra with a blown head gasket, could I get most of the parts for a 5 speed swap off of his car (I believe the car has the W58 transmission) and still use your adapter successfully? When you talk about finding a compatible "clutch/flywheel" combo, would that be a custom combo or could a stock combo intended for the W58 be used for a W58 transmission swap?
The trans itself would not work since that trans is from a 7M, and not a 1jz. The 7M has a different flange pattern than the 1/2jz (what's on the V160). For a W58/ R154 to work it would need to have originated from a 1jz or a 2jz. I'm not aware about the availability or existance of any off the shelf clutch/flywheel combinations though.

Originally Posted by Nevada3
Sorry if my questions are basic, but I want to find out a little more before I go talk with the mechanic who works on my car. He is an MKIII owner and I am confident he could do the swap, but I just want to understand all the parts I'll need so I can check on their availability/prices first. I have a GS430. Thanks.

If anyone else has any info on this less expensive 5 speed swap, please fill me in on what you know, I am very interested in this adapter if I can reasonably pull off the costs for the entire swap. This is a very unique product and I for one appreciate TTC for making this available. Thanks.

Robert
The V160 is more expensive no doubt but in the end is the best choice. It's smooth 6 speed and was built for performance. We're mainly pursuing this [V160] trans swap due to it's ability to handle the HP and TQ, and the fact that the the 3.26 rear ratio is perfect. This is the first of a line of performane oriented group buys orchestrated by MVP Motorsports so we wanted to offer somethign that can hadle the HP to come.

Thanks man,

Eric
Old 02-05-07, 02:23 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since your in florida cowboy any chance I can take a look at a car you have done
Old 02-05-07, 03:18 PM
c0wboy
Banned

I don't want to switch the thread, so I can let you know when it's finished. The widebody is still being worked on. The good news is that the 4.7L swap is nearly all complete with the turbo kit being revised, and plug n' play standalone being worked on.

For those that have been asking for it, here's a link to an Auto to 6 speed swap that shows how to install the clutch master cylinder. This is straight from MKIV.com, however this also applies to the SC400. The GS/SC430 will require the same parts.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to...ide/index.html
Old 02-05-07, 04:10 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Eric,

Welcome to Club Lexus

Thanks again for all the info. Good luck with this endeavor.

Johnny
Old 02-05-07, 05:55 PM
Kevin@MVP
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Let me tell you, I am VERY happy to be able to offer this to the Club Lexus community. MVP Motorsports is demonstrating with this it's dedication to Lexus performance. We firmly believe that there is more to Lexus that just body kits, and wheels, especially with the GS/SC430. Can we keep up and match performance with the almighty 2jz? I very much believe we can.

Thanks guys,

Eric
Isn't that the truth! Almost every other e-mail I answer is about body kits or wheels, not bashing it, but I wish there was more interest in performance products in the Lexus community so we could bring these cars to their true potential.
Old 02-05-07, 11:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Question, how would the mounting be handled for the clutch pedal/cluth master?
Old 02-06-07, 04:55 AM
c0wboy
Banned

For those that have been asking for it, here's a link to an Auto to 6 speed swap that shows how to install the clutch master cylinder. This is straight from MKIV.com, however this also applies to the SC400. The GS/SC430 will require the same parts.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/auto_to...ide/index.html
This article should be of great help.

Thanks man,

Eric
Old 02-06-07, 07:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin@MVP
Isn't that the truth! Almost every other e-mail I answer is about body kits or wheels, not bashing it, but I wish there was more interest in performance products in the Lexus community so we could bring these cars to their true potential.
I can assure you Kevin, there are lots of us on here that are more focussed on performance than just "cosmetic" mods.

I think you guys have done an amazing job to be able to offer this to us - no questions about that.

Having said that, you also have to realize that even if we are focussed on performance mods (just look at the mods I have done to my car - you will see that the majority have focussed on just the performance aspect), we also have to balance our wants (6 speed stick shift) with our pockets and doing this mod is not chump change for the majority of us.

Definitely not too expensive, however it is still over ~$6K, plus you have to have access to a competent mechanic.

If I had $6K laying around, I will be the first to tell you that it would make more sense for me to put that towards my mortgage balance. It's a matter of balancing one's financial priorities - that's all there is to it.

It is definitely not a lack of interest in the wonderful products you are selling.
Old 02-06-07, 08:56 AM
Kevin@MVP
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hameed
I can assure you Kevin, there are lots of us on here that are more focussed on performance than just "cosmetic" mods.

I think you guys have done an amazing job to be able to offer this to us - no questions about that.

Having said that, you also have to realize that even if we are focussed on performance mods (just look at the mods I have done to my car - you will see that the majority have focussed on just the performance aspect), we also have to balance our wants (6 speed stick shift) with our pockets and doing this mod is not chump change for the majority of us.

Definitely not too expensive, however it is still over ~$6K, plus you have to have access to a competent mechanic.

If I had $6K laying around, I will be the first to tell you that it would make more sense for me to put that towards my mortgage balance. It's a matter of balancing one's financial priorities - that's all there is to it.

It is definitely not a lack of interest in the wonderful products you are selling.
Hameed,

In no way am I complaining, at the end of the day whether somebody buys a set of wheels or a turbo kit from me, it puts the bread on the table, I'm not complaining at all, in the short time we have been here the Lexus community has been very supportive of what MVP has been doing. My main complaint is that I would like to see more guys interested in performance, the more interest the community has the larger quanity parts can be manufactured and the cheaper it becomes to do modifications.

We love dealing with everyone regardless of what they buy, it just gives me a nice feeling inside when a customer sends me a dyno that makes most supercars look slow!

Regards,

Kevin
Old 02-06-07, 04:01 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Hameed

I hear you loud and clear on Lexus performance. You wouldn't believe the stuff we have lined up for the SC430 and GS400/430.

With these adapter plates and clutches, I don't want you guys to miss out on the lowered group buy price. If you know you're going to be doing this swap eventually, it maybe a good idea to pick up up the clutch/adapter now and saving it for later. It's a lowered GB price so it's hard to go wrong. There's lot's of folks that piece the swap together.

Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 02-07-07, 06:46 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

I hear you loud and clear on Lexus performance. You wouldn't believe the stuff we have lined up for the SC430 and GS400/430.
What else have you got lined up?

With these adapter plates and clutches, I don't want you guys to miss out on the lowered group buy price. If you know you're going to be doing this swap eventually, it maybe a good idea to pick up up the clutch/adapter now and saving it for later. It's a lowered GB price so it's hard to go wrong. There's lot's of folks that piece the swap together.
Excellent suggestion, but I still don't have $2K laying around ........
Old 02-07-07, 10:21 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

what about the automatic ecu? shouldnt there be some problems there? The supra link said that its better to switch the ecu for some timing issues? Also is ABS, and traction control going to function correctly?
Old 02-07-07, 11:21 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

As I understand it the Auto transmission ecu does adjust timing as it shifts, it probably does more than that also. But my guess is that Cowboy and MVP have it worked out, if there are issues. The amount of supporting information they have provided thus far to me speaks volumes to their ability to support a project like this.
Old 02-07-07, 11:28 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
what about the automatic ecu? shouldnt there be some problems there? The supra link said that its better to switch the ecu for some timing issues? Also is ABS, and traction control going to function correctly?
Yes'sir. The VSC is directly tied to the ABS, but neither of those are dependent on the gear selector. The ABS still works with the ECU thinks it's in neutral. From what am understanding in looking through drawings of the Lexus V8, it appears that 12V switched needs to be applied to the neutral safety swtich. The VVt-I is oil pressure dependent, and doesn't rely on gear selection. The speed sensor is located in the trans itself, so it's retained.

But again, the swap should be installed by a shop that is fluent in the Lexus line. There are shops that know the Lexus/ Toyota like the back of their hand. They can make the swap more of a painless affair.

The adapter and clutch are the key parts needed for the 6 speed swap. It's a good solid start to the 6 speed swap. An optimal situation would be that a person use a complete standalone, but it's in no way absolutely needed. There are way to get around the ECU and arrive at a manual 6 speed GS400/430 and SC400/430.

Thanks man!

Eric

Quick Reply: V160 6spd Adapter Plate & Clutch Kit for the GS400/430 and SC400/430