Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

V160 6spd Adapter Plate & Clutch Kit for the GS400/430 and SC400/430

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 11:51 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FINALLY!!!!

Now, if I only had $6-7k lying around to get this done... dangit.
Old 02-01-07, 12:22 PM
LexT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question......
Can I use a R154 or any other toyota 5spd tranny with this adaptor?..... V160 are goin for a lot of $$$..

Last edited by LexT; 02-01-07 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-01-07, 12:40 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by LexT
Quick question......
Can I use a R154 or any other toyota 5spd tranny with this adaptor?..... V160 are goin for a lot of $$$..
The adapter will indeed fit the R154 and W58, but only if they originated from the 2jz or 1jz. That way the flange pattern will be the same. The clutch won't work with any trans but the V160 however since the spline count and pattern is individual to the V160. If you want to pick up an adapter then look around for a clutch/flywheel combo to fit, then that might be a more cost effective way to go for some. I'm partial to the V160 6 speed however.

Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 02-01-07, 02:45 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by nicola
wow

Will the tranny ECU get in the way of doing this? What kind of hidden costs are we all looking at to do the swap (LSD?)?

I have a GS4 and have been waiting for this for two years since I bought the car, probably even longer considering I held off on buying one since it only was available in auto but gave in anyway. This will breath new life into the car, making it a whole new beast and tuning platform for sure. Props to the vendor for taking the steps to produce this.
Making a motor run when converted to manual is easy, certain things like tricking the neutral safety switch have to be done but that's as simple applying 12V switched. If you were switching from manual to auto, then it'd be a whole other ball of wax. The GS400/430 rear end ratio is already an optimal 3.26 so you're good there.

You're right about this breathing new life into the GS. Your GS will have crisp shifts, and more HP to the rear wheels. Although I haven't tested, I would venture to say that fuel milage would also improve since you have less drivetrain loss and a 6th gear. This would also open the flood gates in performance as this will be the last transmission you'll ever need.

I was speaking with Kevin@MVP late this afternoon however, and he says that he's not received one phone call or e-mail regarding this adapter plate. I thought the Lexus community, espeically the GS400/430 guys, were asking for something like this??

For reference, here are a few V160 transmissions for sale ranging in price from $1500.00- $4000.00 :

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...highlight=v160

All of these have went up for sale within the last 2 months, I left out a few so I wouldn't cover the whole page.

I'm hoping that you guys want this adapter plate and clutch kit because we worked very hard to be able to offer this to the Lexus community. In all these years we're the only guys to have come forward and offer a professionally machined bolt on V160 conversion kit for the SC and GS, so I am hoping that this is a success.

Thanks guys,

Eric
Old 02-01-07, 02:51 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i think everyone wants to se one done b4 they go out on a limb to get this done.... i would def do this but cant afford it... it may take time and piecing things together if i do start the swap in the future...

CONGRATS! on making this an option now
Old 02-01-07, 03:10 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

The other thing is that it is no small expense, I think people have to figure out when if and how they can come up wtih the cash for the entire project
Old 02-01-07, 03:12 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Cowboy if you want a prototype, I am use to being the guinea pig.
Old 02-01-07, 03:27 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Here's a couple of guys that have adapted the V160 to the Lexus V8. One is the IS430, another is a 4.0L Supra turbo with a V160 adpated.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e4EpQbEm8tY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OkS6yWzaVfg

The main part of the swap are these two items, the adapter plate and the clutch kit. The transmissions are readily available, as are the rest of the components needed for the swap.

Thanks man!

Eric
Old 02-01-07, 03:39 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by morris
The other thing is that it is no small expense, I think people have to figure out when if and how they can come up wtih the cash for the entire project
True, it's no small expense. It's more of an advanced swap for the GS/SC, and the rewards are huge. The plus side is that it's a bolt on affair for the most part rather than hacking the bellhousing as was done with the IS430. Well, it's here for the taking. I'm also here to answer as many questions as I possibly can about the adapter and the clutch/flywheel kit.

Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 02-01-07, 05:31 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard awhile ago that the sc400's driveshafts dont need to be replaced. BTW i have a 98+ sc400 which also have the 3.26 final drive
Old 02-02-07, 05:42 AM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Oh man.... So tempted... Will you still be producing the adapter plates and clutch kit say late this year ?
Old 02-02-07, 07:07 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Gibenstein
Oh man.... So tempted... Will you still be producing the adapter plates and clutch kit say late this year ?
Well, we sold out in about a month last year and that was a set of 20 adapter plates. We didn't make anymore until this batch, so once these sell out it may be a little while until another set is made. Once the group buy is over on the 14th, the retail pricing will go back up to $750.00 per plate. What most guys do if they know this is something they want to do is to purchase the adpater and clutch kit first since these are the hard to get items, then gather the rest of the parts along the way until they're ready to do the swap. Wosrt case scenario is that they sell the adapter and clutch kit for what they paid or more.

Overall I think this is one hell of a quality kit, and I hope that it benefits the Lexus community. If a good amount of these are reserved before the end of the group buy then more may be made middle of this year, but if not then we'll ride out the stock we will have for a few months and possible make more next year at this time. But if this is something that you want to do (V160 swap) then we're hear to help.

Thanks man!

Eric
Old 02-02-07, 11:39 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
i heard awhile ago that the sc400's driveshafts dont need to be replaced. BTW i have a 98+ sc400 which also have the 3.26 final drive
That 3.26 final drive in the pumpkin is absolutely perfect for a V160. The V160 gear ratios are:

***6 Speed (V160)
1st = 3.827
2nd = 2.360
3rd = 1.685
4th = 1.312
5th = 1.000
6th = 0.793
Reverse = 3.280
Diff/Final Drive = 3.133 (UK/US/Euro TT) 3.266(JDM TT)
Old 02-03-07, 01:11 AM
Nevada3
Driver

Originally Posted by c0wboy
The adapter will indeed fit the R154 and W58, but only if they originated from the 2jz or 1jz. That way the flange pattern will be the same. The clutch won't work with any trans but the V160 however since the spline count and pattern is individual to the V160. If you want to pick up an adapter then look around for a clutch/flywheel combo to fit, then that might be a more cost effective way to go for some. I'm partial to the V160 6 speed however.

Thanks guys!

Eric

Eric

I know you are partial to the 6 speed, but could you give a few more details about the less expensive 5 speed route? My friend has a non-turbo, 5 speed, 1990 Supra with a blown head gasket, could I get most of the parts for a 5 speed swap off of his car (I believe the car has the W58 transmission) and still use your adapter successfully? When you talk about finding a compatible "clutch/flywheel" combo, would that be a custom combo or could a stock combo intended for the W58 be used for a W58 transmission swap?

Sorry if my questions are basic, but I want to find out a little more before I go talk with the mechanic who works on my car. He is an MKIII owner and I am confident he could do the swap, but I just want to understand all the parts I'll need so I can check on their availability/prices first. I have a GS430. Thanks.

If anyone else has any info on this less expensive 5 speed swap, please fill me in on what you know, I am very interested in this adapter if I can reasonably pull off the costs for the entire swap. This is a very unique product and I for one appreciate TTC for making this available. Thanks.

Robert

Last edited by Nevada3; 02-03-07 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-03-07, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Wow, this is just awesome!!! Morris and I were talking about it at a meet today.

Quick Reply: V160 6spd Adapter Plate & Clutch Kit for the GS400/430 and SC400/430