CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Huper Optik or Formula One?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 12:23 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sanguine
I'm with you there. I decided to finally get tint after scorching myself on the leather the other day. My coworker got burned by the metal bracket on the seat belt. I figure if my main goal is heat reduction, HO would be the best pick but it is so pricey. I've good review about F1 as well. Tough decisions. Huper definitely will give you the best heat rejection with the lighter shade of tint.

Does anyone know if it is even legal to tint the front windshield? =] I'll probably still do it anyways because I can't stand this heat!
In CALI, it's illegal to tint the front windshield, except a strip at the top, usually 6-8 down from the top. And no tint on front doors. On my old vehicle, Nissan Sentra, I had a very low 5% tint strip on top of windshield and the rest of the windshield down was tinted in 70%. I never got busted by the police. As long as its light to clear, the police won't know the difference. On my Lexus ES 300, I have a 5% tint strip that comes down almost halfway down the windshield and have not been pulled over.
Old 07-28-09, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
How noticeable is 60%? Does it affect driving visibility at night? I think I might just get my fronts tinted since thats where most of my heat is coming through right now.
i have been in a few cars with 60% huper optic front. honestly i couldn't notice anything at all. visibility is good, both day and night. that's what i have been debating too. just like you, i have huper optik all around already and it's cool, but now it's stupid coz' heat is all coming from windsheild
Old 07-28-09, 12:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by angmedic91
In CALI, it's illegal to tint the front windshield, except a strip at the top, usually 6-8 down from the top. And no tint on front doors. On my old vehicle, Nissan Sentra, I had a very low 5% tint strip on top of windshield and the rest of the windshield down was tinted in 70%. I never got busted by the police. As long as its light to clear, the police won't know the difference. On my Lexus ES 300, I have a 5% tint strip that comes down almost halfway down the windshield and have not been pulled over.
it's funny my friend's car that has tint everywhere including windshield. he was pulled over for tint in the front side windows but the cop never figure (or imagine) there was tint on windshield
Old 07-28-09, 05:50 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have been in a few cars with 60% huper optic front. honestly i couldn't notice anything at all. visibility is good, both day and night. that's what i have been debating too. just like you, i have huper optik all around already and it's cool, but now it's stupid coz' heat is all coming from windsheild
haha I have huper optik on my IS-F...and it seems to block the heat well...I have it all around except for the moonroof. I got 60% for the front windshield, 50% for the front windows, and 40% for the rear windows. I would mention that you can't really wear sunglasses if you put huper optik in the front because it causes a rainbow effect when you see out...so I don't bother with sunglasses...lol
Old 07-28-09, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
haha I have huper optik on my IS-F...and it seems to block the heat well...I have it all around except for the moonroof. I got 60% for the front windshield, 50% for the front windows, and 40% for the rear windows. I would mention that you can't really wear sunglasses if you put huper optik in the front because it causes a rainbow effect when you see out...so I don't bother with sunglasses...lol
lol really? that's interesting phil. i don't wear sunglasses that often, so i guess that won't bother me much

but yeah, it's really retarded that when i drive, my sides are all cool and i can feel all the heat coming from the front!
Old 07-28-09, 06:39 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got two quotes, $400 for F1 Pinnacle and $700 for Huper Optik. The price covers all windows (doors, windshield, and moonroof). $300 more for Huper, $700 for tint, my god! =] I still can't decide
Old 07-28-09, 10:49 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay
I just got tinted w/ huper optik film, looks great and reasonable price.....

GL
Which shop tinted your car? btw give me a call back when you get a chance.
Old 07-28-09, 11:31 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by sanguine
I got two quotes, $400 for F1 Pinnacle and $700 for Huper Optik. The price covers all windows (doors, windshield, and moonroof). $300 more for Huper, $700 for tint, my god! =] I still can't decide
Putting huypers on moonroof is probably a waste as you can just put regular cheap 5% on it and it would block more heat than a light % huyper.
Old 07-29-09, 10:00 AM
sanguine
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Putting huypers on moonroof is probably a waste as you can just put regular cheap 5% on it and it would block more heat than a light % huyper.
Good point, guess I was getting carried away. Still cannot justify the price difference. Leaning towards F1 as it should block out a decent amount of heat.
Old 06-20-12, 10:54 AM
Vinnyraj
Driver

what did you end up installing?

I am getting my car tinted tomorrow and am going with Formula One Pinnacle 35% all around. Are you guys stil happy with ur HO and pinnacle tint almost 3 years later?