GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: TINT?
3M
33.33%
Huper Optik
66.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

3M TINT vs. HUPER OPTIK TINT

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 03:20 AM
MELODY7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M TINT vs. HUPER OPTIK TINT

Can someone tell me the pros and cons for each? Thinking about getting tints, but very light tints, I enjoy the stares I get from women and older GS models as well as IS models, HA!! But seriously, any suggestions, any problems? And what would be the cost to get this installed including windshield?
Old 07-18-08, 08:56 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the $550 huper optik if you can afford it, if not, go 3m

this is like comparing ferrari of tint to toyota, get the ferrari if you can, no explanation needed.
Old 07-18-08, 11:15 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huper Optik all the way!!!! Was installed by the dealer as part of the purchase agreement. I paid nothing, but I think it retails for $500. It does exactly what it adverstizes - minimizes radiant heating from outside. Too bad it is illegal (in NC) to put tint on the windshield for you can feel a huge difference between the windshield and the side door glass in the amount of heat coming through. I have no experience with 3M products so I can not comment.
Old 07-18-08, 06:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the huber optic would be better. My friend had it on his Audi and it is supposed to cut the heat down in the car significantly. The 3M is great, but I dont think it will control heat inside the cabin as well
Old 07-21-08, 10:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

If I could redo my tint, Huper Optik gets my vote.
Old 07-21-08, 12:15 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Not quiet sure if is legal in TX to tint the front windshield, but does anybody know where I can get my front windshield tinted in DFW area with Huper Optik or V-Kool?

Thank you all,
Old 07-22-08, 07:16 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Huper Optik FTW! If you can't afford it now, I'd hold out til you can. I have full legal tint (35%) on the fronts and 80% all around the privacy tint on my RXh. Yes, I'm keeping it stock until I can tint my GSh with Huper.
Old 07-22-08, 08:00 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The closest dealer to me is 90+ miles away. He said they would give me a $50 discount for coming so far so its going to cost me $400.00. I had to go to their website and wait for someone to call me.
Old 01-13-11, 08:44 PM
AutobahnAZ
Driver School Candidate

Default 3M vs Huper Window Film

I disagree. From what I understand Huper Optik window film is an excellent film for side window applications. But is not installable on most rear windows nor front windshields.

Many loyal Huper customers do not realize that they are getting Huper on side windows only... and a quality substitute on the back glass and windshield. This is true on over 90% of the current vehicles sold. The other 10% that have flat rear glass is what causes the confusion from truth.

The initial question asked for a price for full install including windshield. It is a loaded question. 3M is the only choice for 90% of us. Given that it is the only one manufactured and warranteed for automotive specific installation and can be installed on the intire car. Huper directly is not and can not say this. You can not shrink multi layered ceramic window films.

Also 3M is a fortune 100 and a dow 30 company. I do not believe that equates to cheap in my mind.

Huper has a commited following, but at the end of the day invention, innovation and product developement will surpass one hit wonders. I should also note there are some 66 individual manufacturing patents on 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films. If you are commited to ceramic technology, 3M has a single layered ceramic that is made for automotive specific application.

Best Regards

Brand On
480 888 9703
Old 01-13-11, 09:06 PM
JL6speed
Driver

I don't even know what brand tint I have, but I got it installed as a deal when purchasing the car. Does it really make that much of a difference? I do want to tint my front windshield like 60-70% as well.
Old 01-14-11, 04:41 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AutobahnAZ
I disagree. From what I understand Huper Optik window film is an excellent film for side window applications. But is not installable on most rear windows nor front windshields.

Many loyal Huper customers do not realize that they are getting Huper on side windows only... and a quality substitute on the back glass and windshield. This is true on over 90% of the current vehicles sold. The other 10% that have flat rear glass is what causes the confusion from truth.

The initial question asked for a price for full install including windshield. It is a loaded question. 3M is the only choice for 90% of us. Given that it is the only one manufactured and warranteed for automotive specific installation and can be installed on the intire car. Huper directly is not and can not say this. You can not shrink multi layered ceramic window films.

Also 3M is a fortune 100 and a dow 30 company. I do not believe that equates to cheap in my mind.

Huper has a commited following, but at the end of the day invention, innovation and product developement will surpass one hit wonders. I should also note there are some 66 individual manufacturing patents on 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films. If you are commited to ceramic technology, 3M has a single layered ceramic that is made for automotive specific application.

Best Regards

Brand On
480 888 9703
GS rear window is pretty flat..
Old 01-14-11, 05:11 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here we go again. $150 tint with a lifetime warranty (note: not the stuff people get at the dollar store and roll on themselves which turns into a purple blistered mess!) will do nearly as good. Law of diminishing returns applies big time here. Plus, $500 tint vs $100 tint at resale time = a $400 loss. At resale, nobody will know any better about what kind of tint is on it.
Old 01-14-11, 07:58 AM
Arantant
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

This is an old thread, but I'll share my experience.

I had Huper Optik installed a few years ago at a local shop here in Houston. $350 excluding the front windshield (illegal)- Lifetime warranty. Back windshield was perfect- all one piece - no issues.

Great heat blockage in the Houston summer. I can hold my hand in the sun coming through front windshield and then move it to the sunlight through the side window and it feels 100% cooler. Saves me from hot leather and running the A/C so much... not sure what the payback time on fuel savings is, but just avoiding a super hot car is really nice.
Old 01-14-11, 08:58 AM
socal3gs
Driver

Got mine done 7 months ago with Huper Optik and turned out the most beautiful tint that I ever got. If your local shop know what they doing then it shouldn't be any problem on any type of windows.
Old 01-14-11, 10:21 AM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

am i the only person who got HO's and the car still seems hot?? maybe it's the color of my car??

Quick Reply: 3M TINT vs. HUPER OPTIK TINT