Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Umbra**Opinion**

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 09:58 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umbra**Opinion**

I have an appointment tomorrow for tinting my side windows on my RX.
I have heard only good things about this company.
Anything bad before I go tomorrow?

Price I thought was unreal. $80 and I can wait.

THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 01-09-10, 10:32 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

Not that I know of. I'm gonna have mine and my fiancee's cars done by them probably next month.
Old 01-09-10, 11:21 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2IS 'R' US
Not that I know of. I'm gonna have mine and my fiancee's cars done by them probably next month.
Ok, then I'll let YOU know how they are. They are just the drivers and passengers so hopefully it won't be bad. But I know I heard of them, couldn't remember if it was good, bad or expensive.

Thanks
Old 01-09-10, 12:29 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I know a few people that got theirs done at Umbra and they did a great job, but I would recommend Caesar in Logan Square, he has done countless CL member's cars and does a great job

He did mine for $120 for all windows, pretty great price IMO...
Old 01-09-10, 12:38 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by habeeb89
I know a few people that got theirs done at Umbra and they did a great job, but I would recommend Caesar in Logan Square, he has done countless CL member's cars and does a great job

He did mine for $120 for all windows, pretty great price IMO...
A couple of things....I sold my winter mats to a CL member and he said he just got them done on his GS over there and he showed me all the bubbles. He told me 'you get what you pay for'. However, I have heard great reviews too. But being in Schaumburg, Umbra is in Schaumburg and I get wait for my car, and so far not bad reviews, I think I'll by pass the city.

Thanks for your input Habeeb!
Old 01-09-10, 01:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cesar is the Man! Great prices and great work. I have had no issues. I had all mine windows done, including front windshield, for 120$. I have read good things about Umbra on here. They seem a little more expensive but I dont go to someone based on price. I would have gone to Cesar even if he charged more from what others had shared with me. He backs his work up if there are any issues he will warranty it out for you.
Old 01-09-10, 01:13 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
Cesar is the Man! Great prices and great work. I have had no issues. I had all mine windows done, including front windshield, for 120$. I have read good things about Umbra on here. They seem a little more expensive but I dont go to someone based on price. I would have gone to Cesar even if he charged more from what others had shared with me. He backs his work up if there are any issues he will warranty it out for you.
Mostly everyone has a 'significant other' or family members for ways of getting back and forth dropping off a car, or another car. So I always have issues when I am the only one who has to do everything. So, Mike, thanks for your 'Opinion' I truly respect it. However, based on being alone, and they are in Schaumburg and that is about 2 miles from my house and I took the 9am appointment for Sunday, and I don't have to leave my car.....I think by all practicality, for me, Umbra will by my choice tomorrow....UNLESS I hear some bad things from now until I go.
Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 01-09-10, 01:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ from what I read I dont think you have anything to worry about. Post pics once its done. I believe a few of the members have used them more then once from what I can recall. Honestly I have never had anyone do a bad tint job on any of my cars.

How dark are you going??
Old 01-09-10, 01:23 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

I got our last two window tints done at Umbra; I was there this past week to get my windows done...Nino is a real nice guy, always getting calls though, lol. For the first car, the tint has been on for about 6-7 months, no problems so far; and for this one I got all 7 windows tinted so I had to wait 2 hours, but they have cable TV so time will fly

On a side note, if you never been to their shop, its around the side of the building..you will see their logo on a door as soon as you go around the side (their shop is not in front of the building, and NO SIGNS in the front...there are small shops like insurance agency and dry cleaners in front). First time I went there, I drove from Rockford without my GPS, so I spent about 20 mins looking for this place

Last edited by highstakes; 01-09-10 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 01:26 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ from what I read I dont think you have anything to worry about. Post pics once its done. I believe a few of the members have used them more then once from what I can recall. Honestly I have never had anyone do a bad tint job on any of my cars.

How dark are you going??
I want them equal to the rest of the windows. As you know, there is currently no tint so I don't want to go darker, it will look stupid. And since he has the new tint law posted, Lexus's tint should be 'legal' so if I go equal, I should be fine.
Will definately post since it's being done at 9am. Hopefully the sun will be out.
Old 01-09-10, 01:28 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by highstakes
I got our last two window tints done at Umbra; I was there this past week to get my windows done...Nino is a real nice guy, always getting calls though, lol. I got all 7 windows tinted so I had to wait 2 hours, but they have cable TV so time will fly

On a side note, if you never been to their shop, its around the side of the building..you will see their logo on a door as soon as you go around the side (their shop is not in front of the building, there are small shops like insurance agency and dry cleaners in front). First time I went there, I drove from Rockford without my GPS, so I spent about 20 mins looking for this place
So it looks like a store front but it's actually on the side of the building?
I was going to Mapquest it. Is it by the industrial area over on Wise?
Old 01-09-10, 01:45 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luvmy350
So it looks like a store front but it's actually on the side of the building?
I was going to Mapquest it. Is it by the industrial area over on Wise?
I think so...here is a map, Umbra is located near the point of arrow
Old 01-09-10, 01:48 PM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 01-10-10, 09:20 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Ok, I'm back. They gave me a $10 discount for mentioning Club Lexus. I went with top of the line Pinnacle (?) saves the most heat but laws were no more than 50%. Now, I know what you're thinking, but with a black interior and how dark the backs are, it really doesn't look bad. They also give you a copy of the law.
Here's a quick pic.... At this time, the other side wasn't done.
Attached Thumbnails Umbra**Opinion**-010910lexus-004-1600x1200-.jpg  
Old 01-10-10, 11:39 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Your map was accurate, however, I still couldn't find it. So I called them. Because their address doesn't even match anywhere near the building number. Thanks for your help, though.
They wanted $400 for a clear bra? Anywhere cheaper?

Quick Reply: Umbra**Opinion**