Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Am I completely insane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 07:15 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I completely insane?

Hey guys, the car bug is biting me again.

Due to gas prices, laziness & general fascination with cars - i'm contemplating selling the GS and my Infiniti to buy just one car for all seasons. Paying for insurance, plates & maintenance for 2 cars is slowly getting to me.

Here is my latest idea (your opinions will be heavily considered)...

Sell the 2 cars (which should be worth around $25-30k) and pick up either:

Audi A3 2.0T with DSG (great reviews on this car - everyone seems to call it the perfect all-around car)

Mini Cooper S 6-speed (i've always loved these, plus they drive like go-carts)

Acura TSX 6-speed (although a bit slow - very great quality car)

Mazda3s Grand Touring (I drove the MazdaSpeed 3 as well, but that loud exhaust & lack of a sunroof turned me off)

-- all of these cars would get me around 30 mpg & are available with navigation (the GS spoiled me)

Again, this is nothing set in stone, but definitely a possibility. What do you guys think?

George
Old 07-11-07, 10:51 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

First ditching the BBQ to go to the B96 B-bash....now this?

Yeah you're completely insane!

j/j if anything I'd go with the TSX. Quality issues would stray me away from the Audi. I always thought the Cooper was a little too flamboyant for my taste. Plus I have this co-worker who stops by my office all the time to brag about his; drives me crazy!

Last edited by cHiTwNGS43; 07-11-07 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-11-07, 11:12 AM
CopperShot
Driver

If anything grab the TSX, it's a nice car, comfortable, and better on gas!

I recently got rid of my cars and grabbed a hybrid, much easier on the wallet gas/insurance wise.

-Adrian
Old 07-11-07, 12:05 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

I think you need to post some pictures. Out of those, I would go with either the Audi or the Acura.
Old 07-11-07, 12:19 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

audi for sure.. if it was me.
Old 07-11-07, 03:42 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe a bicycle? Low maintenance, no insurance and the mileage....that depends if you eat your cheerios that day.
I drove a Mini and boy was that thing fun. i thought it handled like an RC car.
I guess Either Audi or Acura though.
Old 07-12-07, 07:19 PM
allklr
Pole Position

I would say keep the GS and buy a GSXR/CBR/Ninja....
Old 07-12-07, 08:20 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aliti19
Hey guys, the car bug is biting me again.

Due to gas prices, laziness & general fascination with cars - i'm contemplating selling the GS and my Infiniti to buy just one car for all seasons. Paying for insurance, plates & maintenance for 2 cars is slowly getting to me.

Here is my latest idea (your opinions will be heavily considered)...

Sell the 2 cars (which should be worth around $25-30k) and pick up either:

Audi A3 2.0T with DSG (great reviews on this car - everyone seems to call it the perfect all-around car)

Mini Cooper S 6-speed (i've always loved these, plus they drive like go-carts)

Acura TSX 6-speed (although a bit slow - very great quality car)

Mazda3s Grand Touring (I drove the MazdaSpeed 3 as well, but that loud exhaust & lack of a sunroof turned me off)

-- all of these cars would get me around 30 mpg & are available with navigation (the GS spoiled me)

Again, this is nothing set in stone, but definitely a possibility. What do you guys think?

George
Forget about the Audi. Nice cars but maintenance is terrible. Mini Cooper? Really? TSX is okay. A bit small and not very exciting. Mazda is okay too. It was your choice to buy the Infinity. I agree. Sell the Infinity and that one car. Drive the GS in winter.
Old 07-12-07, 08:27 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are insane..... From someone who just had a BIG bite of this.... Keep your GS, maybe sell the Inifinit for a "funner" beater. I'm thinking of a Scion Xb myself...

If you enjoy driving a car so much then I wouldn't sell it for an "all in one" solution. That's what I did with the IS350, and it still didn't cure the itch. Although I would say maybe you'd want to switch for a higher performing sedan. And the maint. on an Audi will kill you. Cooper is too small as a one and only daily. TSX is nice but kind of boring after a while, you'll come back. If you're going to trade up to anything, I'd say it'd have to be just as nice as the GS, but perform just as well if not better. IS350?? (although its a bit smaller).

Audi is nice though. I really like the A3, and have seen some really nicely done up ones. But after warranty expires(If you're going to keep it that long)....
Old 07-12-07, 09:14 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

If the insurance and maintainance of 2 cars is getting to you then why not just drive the GS all year round? My GS is my DD and my wife has hers, they make great everyday cars. I just have a set of winter wheels for both cars because the 19's dont do so well in the wet.

Last edited by PetesLS400; 07-13-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 09:55 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

There's no way I would drive the GS in the snow/salt. I don't even drive it when it's raining, lol.
My mistake was not buying a 5-speed i30/maxima. Since the weather was starting to get crappy in Jan when i sold the Explorer, i only had a week or so time-frame to buy something. Go figure that there were NO manuals available when i was looking.
Old 07-13-07, 05:58 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

There are some great deals on 6 spd Acura CL Type S'.

Nobody seems to want to buy that car in a manual. Its a fun car for FWD.

I don't want a manual for a second car, plus some cargo room would be nice, or else I'd pick that up in an instant.
Old 07-13-07, 07:27 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tcho82
There are some great deals on 6 spd Acura CL Type S'.

Nobody seems to want to buy that car in a manual. Its a fun car for FWD.

I don't want a manual for a second car, plus some cargo room would be nice, or else I'd pick that up in an instant.
I drove the 6-speed CL-S when it first came out & my buddy just bought one last year. That car is such a disappointment. It looks great, but the suspension/handling is awful. It's so floaty. Now, with a drop and a coilover kit... that would be an AWESOME car!
Old 07-13-07, 10:36 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Drop and a coilover kit don't cost THAT much.... hehe
Old 07-13-07, 11:44 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for what you are looking for i would go with the Audi, the Tsx would be next. My wife drives a TSX and its a reliable car. i get about the same MPG on my IS as she does on her TSX. I had an Audi and i had no issues with it but didnt keep it more then 2 years. i got ride of it because we got married and she didnt feel comfortable with the manual and that car had too much power and torque for her to feel comfortable.

Why not pick up the IS? seems like this should be an option that i didnt see on your list??? same size as most and will offer you more features then most of the cars you have thought about.

good luck!

Quick Reply: Am I completely insane?