Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NPR article on dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,925 Posts

I'll repost the second paragraph of my deleted post which I believe to be on topic...

Relief from this situation with dealers will come from relief from inventory constraints and a slight reduction in demand, we're not going to see a "crash" of vehicle prices where all of a sudden demand dramatically drops.

To add to that, in other forums where I read and post we are starting to see people buying cars for less than MSRP, and far fewer stories of markups over MSRP except on really in demand vehicles. For instance I was just reading the BMW X7 forum where people are ordering new 2023 X7s and almost all are getting some sort of discount, a few paying MSRP but I see no mention of markups. So, its already improving.

When I was out and drove by some dealers the other day they were really bare, but I don't know if thats because we are in the swapover from 2022s to 2023s... I stopped at Audi of Rockville and in the showroom they had 5 Q5s. The salesman said that was all they had to put in there...
Old 09-02-22, 11:11 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'll repost the second paragraph of my deleted post which I believe to be on topic...

Relief from this situation with dealers will come from relief from inventory constraints and a slight reduction in demand, we're not going to see a "crash" of vehicle prices where all of a sudden demand dramatically drops.

To add to that, in other forums where I read and post we are starting to see people buying cars for less than MSRP, and far fewer stories of markups over MSRP except on really in demand vehicles. For instance I was just reading the BMW X7 forum where people are ordering new 2023 X7s and almost all are getting some sort of discount, a few paying MSRP but I see no mention of markups. So, its already improving.

When I was out and drove by some dealers the other day they were really bare, but I don't know if thats because we are in the swapover from 2022s to 2023s... I stopped at Audi of Rockville and in the showroom they had 5 Q5s. The salesman said that was all they had to put in there...
Yup, i had a similar experience at Acura. I posted this in the price thread, but will copy here since it's relevant.

My recent experience purchasing an MDX:

- End of May we were told MSRP + $2500 for an MDX.
- End of Aug (last week): We picked it up for MSRP + $400 (tint).

They had i think 8 MDX's on the lot last week, which i was surprised at. From my anecdotal experience, Honda/Acura might be feeling the lower sales numbers and adjusting to the market.
Old 09-02-22, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, that’s a great data point!
Old 09-02-22, 11:18 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Still no luck for me.
My sales guy wants $5k ADM on ordered X3M.

The MSRP are heavily inflated also - that same X3M was 5k cheaper for 2022MY vs 2023!
Old 09-02-22, 11:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 956 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The MSRP are heavily inflated also - that same X3M was 5k cheaper for 2022MY vs 2023!
I noticed lately when looking at new cars they start with "MSRP" then add a bunch of crap totaling $1,000's more and then a big bold line with a price.
Then under that line is a separate "market adjustment" fee and then finally the real price.

It's like there is two layers of crap to get thru to even get to the "MSRP" whatever MSRP means anyway and if it's same for all dealers or they just make the number up.
Add- I didn't notice any working like "msrp" on the last few cars I looked at, just a price before all the extra junk, maybe they are avoiding using "MSRP" on the window sticker because they just making the numbers up?
Old 09-02-22, 11:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,513 Posts

you do realize steel prices have skyrocketed, so have shipping costs, labor costs, and everything else. i guess 'heavily inflated' can just mean it went up, but in many cases, they had no choice.

Originally Posted by Margate330
I noticed lately when looking at new cars they start with "MSRP" then add a bunch of crap totaling $1,000's more and then a big bold line with a price.
Then under that line is a separate "market adjustment" fee and then finally the real price.
It's like there is two layers of crap to get thru to even get to the "MSRP" whatever MSRP means anyway and if it's same for all dealers or they just make the number up.
Add- I didn't notice any working like "msrp" on the last few cars I looked at, just a price before all the extra junk, maybe they are avoiding using "MSRP" on the window sticker because they just making the numbers up?
well the S in msrp is 'suggested' so it's kinda meaningless anyway.

but yeah, the dealer manipulation of prices is a huge problem. it always has been but now with such constrained supply they've gone off the deep end with it.
Old 09-02-22, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Still no luck for me.

Have you tried contacting a dealer who does business online?

Originally Posted by Margate330

MSRP is standard for every dealer. All vehicles have a standard window sticker, it’s called the Monroney sticker. The price on that sticker is the MSRP, mandated by law. What you will see is another little sticker that lists out things that the dealer is charging that are on top of that, and that’s where you see markups.

This is what the markup sticker looks like

Old 09-02-22, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you do realize steel prices have skyrocketed, so have shipping costs, labor costs, and everything else. i guess 'heavily inflated' can just mean it went up, but in many cases, they had no choice.
L.
Why do you think steel has skyrocketed? Or shipping?
Old 09-02-22, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why do you think steel has skyrocketed? Or shipping?
it's off topic, but you can google it.
Old 09-02-22, 12:10 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

MSRP is standard for every dealer. All vehicles have a standard window sticker, it’s called the Monroney sticker. The price on that sticker is the MSRP, mandated by law. What you will see is another little sticker that lists out things that the dealer is charging that are on top of that, and that’s where you see markups.

This is what the markup sticker looks like

I think I posted either 30 or 40K on the bronco. Didn't someone post 100k on the Corvette? It's ridiculous. Makes our cars so cheap now. Lol
Old 09-02-22, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I posted $97k on a MB E63S wagon!
Old 09-02-22, 01:19 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 602 Likes on 377 Posts

I would never have paid MSRP on a car before, but the fact that the three in my sig were bought at MSRP now looks like a deal…. It’s an odd market for sure. My Land Rover dealer is now charging ADM, they weren’t before, and my Ford dealer sells orders at MSRP. Good dealers are still out there - but it seems like they are increasingly hard to find.
Old 09-02-22, 01:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I got good deals on my Highlander and my GS, but when I bought the Tundra, supplies were low and I basically scored a deal by only paying MSRP. Crazy how that works!
Old 09-02-22, 01:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Ye i can get a PO order at MSRP but it’s worthless without an allocation.
Most likely will be keeping my car at this point.
Old 09-02-22, 02:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ye i can get a PO order at MSRP but it’s worthless without an allocation.
Most likely will be keeping my car at this point.
They can’t get you an allocation?

Quick Reply: NPR article on dealers