Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NPR article on dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 05:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Once upon a time, if you were serious enough about leaving, they'd take all or most of that nonsense off to make the sale. Right now, they know there's likely another buyer standing in the showroom at that very moment who will happily pay for the extras just to get the car they want, so they'll generally let you walk out the door.
I don't know if you are old enough to remember this or not, geko (and I will be polite and not ask)......but that nonsense was chronic back in the 1980s when Japanese imports were restricted, and demand constantly exceeded supply, particularly for Toyotas and Hondas. That was the typical attitude at Toyota and Honda shops (take our price or leave it)...and they could make it stick, because many buyers, by then, had simply had enough of the usual American junk at the time, and were determined to buy more reliable Japanese products. You also saw some of that take-it-or-leave it attitude at other Japanese dealerships, such as Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, etc.... but to a lesser extent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-02-22 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 05:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 242 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Look at the price of an iPhone at 10 different retailers. They will all be exactly the same. This isn't price fixing either, it's just part of the retail contract that Apple has with all of its 3rd parties.
Not entirely true, Best Buy and other retailers sometimes have discounts on Apple products so I never buy direct from Apple because of that.
Old 09-01-22, 05:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is so difficult about saying “no”. ??

“Bitkahuna, would you like an extended warranty?”

NO

”would you like a bug deflector?”

NO

”do you want to finance?”

NO

”do you want to lease?”

YES

”would you like to pay MSRP?”

YES

I don’t see the big deal
Then the dealer says "NO", and in this market, you don't have a car. Some dealers are using accessories and packages in lieu of "Market Price Adjustments". I spoke to various Honda and Kia dealers that did this - they add the package and it's non-negotiable. Some dealers are adding packages AND adding a market adjustment. They don't care if you say "NO" because they are selling every car that comes in before it hits the lot.

That works for you, but not for everyone. Particularly someone who's car is stolen or totaled.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-01-22 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 06:34 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Crazy. Thats another thing I'm hearing, big hikes in insurance rates because of these inflated payouts...
Rule of thumb, although varies by state, is that if repair is 75% or more of value then the car is totaled. With higher used car values, more cars are getting repaired vs totaled. Since fewer totaled, insurance companies do not have the cars to sell at salvage to help offset claim. Just higher costs all around. Mannheim charts show a slight drop in average used car prices, but not enough to call a trend.

Probably too much info, but insurance rate approvals vary by state. Some states such as CA are very tough on increases, although you can increase fees relatively easily. Some states you file and wait for approval so you tend to apply for higher rates, and the relationship with the Insurance Commissioner's office is critical. Other states you can "file and use" meaning you can go ahead and implement the increase. GA insurance commissioner lambasted Allstate a couple of weeks ago as they have implemented several increases totaling more than 40% on overall rates this year.
Old 09-01-22, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
2018 early year
Yeah, that may as well have been 30 years ago lol

Let me put this in perspective, I was looking at Inventory. Mercedes of Tysons Corner, which is a huge dealer, has 8 in inventory. Not 8 of one model....8 cars. Total.

BMW of Rockville which is one of the largest BMW dealers in the country has 50 cars in inventorty, almost all of which are in transit.

So, you aren't negotiating crap right now!
Old 09-01-22, 06:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
Rule of thumb, although varies by state, is that if repair is 75% or more of value then the car is totaled. With higher used car values, more cars are getting repaired vs totaled. Since fewer totaled, insurance companies do not have the cars to sell at salvage to help offset claim. Just higher costs all around. Mannheim charts show a slight drop in average used car prices, but not enough to call a trend.
Issue with this also is costs to repair cars have also skyrocketed...the cost of paint has quadrupled. Delays in getting parts extend rental costs, and car rentals are way up in cost. So its just a perfect storm for them.
Old 09-01-22, 06:48 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Issue with this also is costs to repair cars have also skyrocketed...the cost of paint has quadrupled. Delays in getting parts extend rental costs, and car rentals are way up in cost. So its just a perfect storm for them.
Really perfect storm for non-standard auto insurance. With inflation, those customers don't have cash to buy insurance. They have to eat. In the past couple of years, Allstate and State Farm got out of their comfort zone and bought non-standard companies. While not a huge percentage of their business, non-standard is negatively compounding their issues.
Old 09-01-22, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Rough times...
Old 09-01-22, 08:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,153 Likes on 856 Posts

Let me put this in perspective, I was looking at Inventory. Mercedes of Tysons Corner, which is a huge dealer, has 8 in inventory. Not 8 of one model....8 cars. Total.

BMW of Rockville which is one of the largest BMW dealers in the country has 50 cars in inventorty, almost all of which are in transit.

So, you aren't negotiating crap right now!
Fair enough but I don't need to anyway. I have enough cars for full redundancy and ability to keep anything running anyways, I technically never "need" to spend more than $5000 for a perfectly functional car so there is almost nothing in the dealers favor.

I can easily string them for months if I want to since they have no leverage over me
Old 09-01-22, 08:40 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,153 Likes on 856 Posts

Parts have been an issue but there are workarounds if you really need something fixed. Paint is insane though, I'm close to getting everything needed for body work just so I know how to do that as well after a few years of practice.
Old 09-01-22, 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Fair enough but I don't need to anyway. I have enough cars for full redundancy and ability to keep anything running anyways, I technically never "need" to spend more than $5000 for a perfectly functional car so there is almost nothing in the dealers favor.
I can easily string them for months if I want to since they have no leverage over me
right but it's not about you then.
Old 09-01-22, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They'll just ignore you. Why would they bother with someone who isn't really wanting to buy now when they have way more buyers than cars to sell?

We see this in my business all the time. When the market is crazy and there are big escalations and all, and some shmo comes in and says "I will never pay more than list price for a house", they're fired lol. Spending any time on them is a complete waste.
Old 09-01-22, 09:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 886 Likes on 708 Posts

So, you aren't negotiating crap right now
!
I counted 5 new cars at the VW dealer the other day when I went by, all in the showroom and front parking lot was empty.
Old 09-01-22, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,427 Posts

We see this in my business all the time. When the market is crazy and there are big escalations and all, and some shmo comes in and says "I will never pay more than list price for a house", they're fired lol. Spending any time on them is a complete waste.
happens in all industries, in my biz there's people who don't want to use the cloud, don't want to get paid anti-virus, hate that they're being pushed to upgrade from windows 7, don't get that their website built in 2000 sucks now, etc.

Old 09-01-22, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Here, here Same for me. I would keep fixing my cars. I have four cars on my name, so lots of options. Plus, said a long time ago, rather have everything paid off so when the tough times come, I don't have the issue of having to replace a lease, or buy something new etc etc.

Quick Reply: NPR article on dealers