Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NPR article on dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I think there's a big difference between the labor market and NFTs, and the stock market.

We have fundamental reasons behind the tight labor market that aren't going to go away.
Old 09-01-22, 05:27 PM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I may, but I don't use it, so I'm not sure I want to continue to pay for it while it just sits in the garage.
what about this?

Old 09-01-22, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think there's a big difference between the labor market and NFTs, and the stock market.

We have fundamental reasons behind the tight labor market that aren't going to go away.
If the economy goes into a recession. For sure, jobs will be gone.
Old 09-01-22, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

And if it were not for so many jobs being automated or done by robots, we would have an even tighter labor market.
Old 09-01-22, 06:07 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Its coming unfortunately just wait until after the mid-terms.

NFT, stock market, job market etc follow similar trends.

Companies copy their competitors when it comes to compensation, hiring, firing etc.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-01-22 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If the economy goes into a recession. For sure, jobs will be gone.
The economy is likely already in a recession. That doesn’t mean we will have huge job losses.

Recessions are a normal part of the economic cycle.
Old 09-01-22, 06:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,155 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its coming unfortunately just wait until after the mid-terms.

NFT, stock market, job market etc follow similar trends.

Companies copy their competitors when it comes to compensation, hiring, firing etc.
Agreed. Some sectors are already purging staff under pretenses/new workplace requirements in a typical "soft" layoff tactic.
Old 09-01-22, 06:42 PM
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 515 Posts

The economy is likely already in a recession. That doesn’t mean we will have huge job losses.

Recessions are a normal part of the economic cycle.
The only real economic indicator for us is if we see your Mercedes on Craigslist or with a for sale sign parked outside your house.

Old 09-01-22, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
The only real economic indicator for us is if we see your Mercedes on Craigslist or with a for sale sign parked outside your house.
Then I think we’ll be fine lol
Old 09-02-22, 04:26 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't now if you are old enough to remember this or not, geko (and I will be polite and not ask)......but that nonsense was chronic back in the 1980s when Japanese imports were restricted, and demand constantly exceeded supply, particularly for Toyotas and Hondas. That was the typical attitude at Toyota and Honda shops (take our price or leave it)...and they could make it stick, because many buyers, by then, had simply had enough of the usual American junk at the time, and were determined to buy more reliable Japanese products. You also saw some of that take-it-or-leave it attitude at other Japanese dealerships, such as Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru, etc.... but to a lesser extent.
I also remember late 70s when the first gas crisis was unfolding that VW Rabbits were a hot car and if you wanted one you paid MSRP and had to take the color that was available right then or you were bumped aside and then the greater fool theory was played out. If that wasn’t bad enough the color choices looked like Sherbet, Lime Green, Neon Orange, Ugh

while there is no such thing as returning to normal I think we will see market forces work. No one has repealed the business cycle, supply and demand will eventually turn in the favor of the buyer. How long is the unknown for sure.
Old 09-02-22, 06:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 630 Likes on 436 Posts

Not an economy thread, back on topic.
Old 09-02-22, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Not an economy thread, back on topic.
deleted 2 more posts after this. last warning folks or it's closed.

reminder: the article is about how dealers treat customers when buying.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-02-22 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-02-22, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reminder: the article is about how dealers treat customers.
You can't have a conversation about how and why dealers interact with customers the way they are right now without talking about the economy, because its enabled right now by economic factors that put dealers in a stronger position than they normally are, and the only way that will change is if the current economic situation changes...and the article at the top itself discusses these factors.

So, without bringing the economy into it we can all share stories about how terrible dealers are but the conversation won't have any depth.
Old 09-02-22, 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You can't have a conversation about how and why dealers interact with customers the way they are right now without talking about the economy, because its enabled right now by economic factors that put dealers in a stronger position than they normally are, and the only way that will change is if the current economic situation changes...and the article at the top itself discusses these factors.

So, without bringing the economy into it we can all share stories about how terrible dealers are but the conversation won't have any depth.
the posts i deleted were about selling real estate (yours) and corporate layoffs. NOTHING to do with the way dealers treat customers when buying cars.

if you disagree with moderation, take it to pm, or report a post but we're not debating here.
Old 09-02-22, 08:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Striker223, sorry you're having trouble sourcing a part, but i'm going to move it to a separate thread.

Quick Reply: NPR article on dealers