Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti axes Q60 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 09:44 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
I don't think you're wrong, but neither am I. Ghosn is the real culprit in regards to what you wrote, but Nysschen did them no favors either. The G35 had soul, success, and a cult following that Infiniti let languish in it's later years as the softer G37/Q40. The Q60 is gorgeous, but too little too late. Like Lexus or Acura, Infiniti struggles to find differentiation between itself and it's parent overlord.
Just my opinion, but the failure of the Q60 is more about the overall failure of Nissan's brand management of Infiniti than the car itself. Like you said, its gorgeous design, but nobody wants an Infiniti coupe at this pricepoint. Frankly, I'm surprised the brand has made it as long as it has. This coming from a former M45 owner.
Old 08-15-22, 10:23 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
I don't think you're wrong, but neither am I. Ghosn is the real culprit in regards to what you wrote, but Nysschen did them no favors either. The G35 had soul, success, and a cult following that Infiniti let languish in it's later years as the softer G37/Q40. The Q60 is gorgeous, but too little too late. Like Lexus or Acura, Infiniti struggles to find differentiation between itself and it's parent overlord.
Nysschen could have kept the names the same but the brand would have still tanked because they would still be selling the same mediocre ancient vehicles. The reason Audi did well under him and not Infiniti is because Audi makes better cars.

Nissan has already officially labelled Infiniti as "Nissan+" so I doubt the brand will get much support at this point beyond more Nissan rebadging like what we saw with the QX60.
Old 08-16-22, 04:16 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nissan messed up, they could have done what they did when the G35 came out. Priced it lower than it's competitors and kill them on volume. The G35 was cheaper and faster than similar BMW's at the time who scrambled to keep up. If they just put out a new GEN Q50 RS with a proper chassis and transmission to match the engine and updated the exterior and interior it would be a serious competitor. The transmission is garbage and the car handles like a boat. They never released the Eau Rouge or the Black S. Total failure of a company.