Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership shady practices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 07:20 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no right answer in this case other than: never go into a dealership with your eyes half open. Everything in the modern dealership/retail sales model is broken. You are the product, not the vehicle you're buying. The sales people consume you in order to make a living. There are great dealerships and then there's the rest.

Here's a great podcast that really tells you why you never want to be a car salesperson, sales manager or anything else. You make the money, but what you have to do to get there is...

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars
Old 09-09-20, 09:00 PM
Ezpz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to give an update. I called them yesterday since its been almost a week and they still haven't answered my email but receptionist said they are occupied and will call me back. That didnt happen until today until they are already closed and the person who called me is trying to rush the whole conversation. Basically he was saying that the finance guy who offered to pay me the PPF personaly out of hes own pocket is not allowed so they had to refund my PPF with the company money so the warranty was voided. which is not mentioned to me at all until now, he offered to remove the PPF for free but the repairs has to be with my own pocket. I think hes some kind of manager and was very rude and wont let me talk over the phone treating me like a kid. as soon as he told me that hes eager to drop the phone call.

I emailed the regional manager of the openroad dealership but I doubt i'll hear from her so I'm pretty much screwed.
Old 09-10-20, 06:10 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezpz
Just to give an update. I called them yesterday since its been almost a week and they still haven't answered my email but receptionist said they are occupied and will call me back. That didnt happen until today until they are already closed and the person who called me is trying to rush the whole conversation. Basically he was saying that the finance guy who offered to pay me the PPF personaly out of hes own pocket is not allowed so they had to refund my PPF with the company money so the warranty was voided. which is not mentioned to me at all until now, he offered to remove the PPF for free but the repairs has to be with my own pocket. I think hes some kind of manager and was very rude and wont let me talk over the phone treating me like a kid. as soon as he told me that hes eager to drop the phone call.

I emailed the regional manager of the openroad dealership but I doubt i'll hear from her so I'm pretty much screwed.
You might be screwed, but you have a couple of other options to exhaust. Do you have the negotiations/agreement regarding the discounted PPF in writing (email or hardcopy quote)? If so, I would contact the manufacturer's corporate headquarters to file a complaint/open a case. Sometimes they can step in to assist. Without proof of the deal you made, the furthest you'll get is probably a complaint that gets forwarded to the local dealership, but it's a little better than doing nothing.

If I were in your shoes, this is what I would do.. Find the manufacturer's corporate service email (if it is Lexus, they use an email submission form on their website), then send an email describing the experience with this dealership from the start. I'd make it detailed, but concise, stating the facts and providing proof (if I had it) as well as the names of the people I dealt with. After sending the email, I'd call the corporate office. Once I got someone on the phone, I would reference the email I had sent and express my concerns. If I wasn't happy with the outcome, I'd escalate to a service manager.

If the escalation at the corporate office isn't sufficient, you probably aren't getting your money back, but you can still file a complaint with the BBB.
Old 09-10-20, 10:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You never should have bought from them, just sounds like a poorly run place that doesn't care about being courteous and professional with their customers. Do they have complaints from other customers. I would contact Lexus corporate and tell them about your experience too.

In Canada I guess you don't have as many choices in Lexus dealerships so they think they can treat you any way they want.
Old 09-14-20, 02:40 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Cut your short term loses and market the Dealership for them on the Internet on every forum and platform you can think of. Your turn to give your pitch: Be clear and concise and not too wordy. Name the dealership and individual you dealt with. If I was a potential consumer at this dealership, they will NEVER get my business. For good measures, email the links to all the top executives. If you do it right, they will regret it and fire the undeserving bastards that mishandled your issue. At the most, you will get some therapy out of posting your issues clear and concise and educate others. Then move on and enjoy your vehicle.
Old 09-15-20, 11:51 AM
Ezpz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the advice, I did reached out for corporate Lexus and explained them what happened. Its been stressing me a lot lately and its not really becoming healthy. I never would have bother contacting them if you guys hadn't insisted that. They seem a lot more professional and for the first time I actually felt respected dealing with them. I'll just enjoy the car and learned my lesson. It's my first time buying/owning a car and I should have done my research. If people are taking advantage of me its because I let them and I need to change that. Lexus told me that I'll be hearing from either them or the dealership soon. Hopefully something turns up right.