Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership shady practices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-20, 08:02 AM
Ezpz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership shady practices?

My whole experience buying a new Vehicle with this dealership is just a nightmare. First of, the finance department told me that my application is approved but somewhat on the fence and that I am "Required" to purchase extended warranty / insurance for the car so they can guarantee that I can actually afford repairs for car. I kinda knew that it was just their tactic to get me spend more money but I felt they are pulling underhanded tricks just to sell their products so I called Jim Pattison and told them what happened and how can I transfer my finance application. they told me I was approved and no other strings attached and they'll be glad to help me purchase my new vehicle even at a lower price. The guy I was talking even felt bad knowing other dealership are trying to pull these kind of shady stuff.

Sadly it doesn't end there, I called open road port moody again to cancel my purchase and asking them to transfer my application to JP but I somehow got talked into it. the assistant sales manager apologized personally and told me you are just not purchasing a car but also establishing a relationship at the dealership and want to make things right. This dealership is a lot closer to my area so I just went along with it. I purchased the vehicle, negotiated a discount for a Paint Protection film at half price and since I end up buying extended warranty anyways. A week later, its time to install the PPF, they called me saying they are ready to install the PPF and it only covers half of my front hood. On our negotiations it was pretty clear I asked for the whole front hood to be covered. I remember repeatedly saying I wanted the whole front hood covered. So I told them that I ordered full front hood coverage for the PPF, few minutes later the guy from finance who I negotiated about the PPF/warranty deal called me. He was furious saying he could lose he''s job, told me how dare I lied about our deal and trying to screw him over. He was aggressive and very angry. told me a lot of stuff saying hes not making very much and this could really end up losing hes job. he told me he didnt give me a discount and I lied. the price of the PPF is around 450$ for half the coverage and the full front coverage costed about twice as much so when I was charged 450$ for the PPF I thought with it was clear I was paying for the PPF with full front hood coverage with the half price discount. He said a lot of things, very angry and I tried to be very calm and explained my situation. I mentioned that how it was clear he gave me a discount since he had to step out of the room and asked for he's manager for approval on the discount and he came back saying yes. Somehow he kinda remembers I was right but hes not admitting anything and came up with another deal saying he will refund me the PPF out of hes own pocket since it was just half coverage but allow me to install this on my car. I was very hesitant since I know half coverage of PPF is gonna make my car look ugly, I dont care about teh 200$ cost of that PPF but I felt bad and I dont want this guy to lose he's job over 200$ so I just went along with it very unhappy. When I got my refund, it came from lexus and not from him not sure why but I was like whatever. couple of months afterwards, I called them about extensive yellowing of my PPF and how it should be covered by 3m PPF 5 year warranty, the service guy told me my PPF is not under any warranty since it was refunded to me, they can remove the PPF but it would cost me 200$.

I find it hard to believe that authorized dealership and specially at Lexus have these kind of people trying to sell their cars. Is there anything I can do or do I just take an L and move on?

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to vent.

TLDR: dealership didn't honor our deal, called me a liar, realized I was right, took my warranty away without me knowing.
Old 09-07-20, 08:16 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Old 09-07-20, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts

You don't want none of them oxidation problems!

I love sitting there and just letting them go through their finance office display, and watching them react to how clearly INSANE I am that I dont want the fabric coating or the wiper blade protection plan or the free air filters for life or whatever nonsense. "Well, what will you do if your kids spill whatever in the backseat" "I guess I'll clean it up, eventually"
Old 09-07-20, 02:25 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 403 Posts

Wow........I've heard lots of shady deals, but the guy saying he'd lose his job.....Main thing is to get everything in writing......I've been thru a couple of those dealings where the sales person keeps going back & forth to the sales managers office, or they'll bring in a ''closer''.....If you don't like the deal then walk...There's always going to be another vehicle. I'd figure out the options (trim package(s) & a few colors that'd work, figure out whats the best percentage you can get, & go w/ a 36 month w/ 48 month max, really best put a good clunk down & for sure pass on all the dealer add on's......Last new truck I bought, I got the total & went to my credit union for a 36 month note....
Old 09-07-20, 02:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You don't want none of them oxidation problems!

I love sitting there and just letting them go through their finance office display, and watching them react to how clearly INSANE I am that I dont want the fabric coating or the wiper blade protection plan or the free air filters for life or whatever nonsense. "Well, what will you do if your kids spill whatever in the backseat" "I guess I'll clean it up, eventually"
I hate dealerships with a passion. Best purchase experience ever was hitting the buy button on my Tesla and picking it up at the service center a few weeks later. Like buying an iPhone.

A dealers once tried to cheat me on the rate and I caught them when I did the monthly amortization calc right in front of them and proved they were wrong. They apologized. Wow. All the dealers are shady and can't be trusted.
Old 09-07-20, 03:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When we bought the Pacifica, they delivered it and we did the paperwork in the garage. Totally bypassed the finance department. It was awesome.

I have never had a dealer quote me a lease without some bull**** markup. Not one time.
Old 09-07-20, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

When we bought the Pacifica, they delivered it and we did the paperwork in the garage. Totally bypassed the finance department. It was awesome.
Did the Finance/Buisness-Manager actually come to to your house? Or did they send a Notary-Public in his or her place?

I have never had a dealer quote me a lease without some bull**** markup. Not one time.
Sometimes the dealership will discount the lease a little if you pay it all up front instead of month-by-month like you would a credit card or utilities. One of my friends, who I swim with, does that every time at Pohanka Lexus. He leases a new ES every 27 months (Pohanka's standard lease-term), writes one big check for the whole amount, and they discount it some.....presumably because it is to their advantage to get the whole sum all at once, and not be concerned about a possible default or repossession.
Old 09-07-20, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, the salesman came. They didn’t try and sell me anything they would normally try and sell me in the finance office. Drove up, brought the paperwork, transferred the tags and drove off in the old one.

Again, dealers don’t have “standard lease terms”. The leases are all though Lexus financial and they have many different terms. Dealer has nothing to do with what leases are available.
Old 09-07-20, 07:40 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezpz
My whole experience buying a new Vehicle with this dealership is just a nightmare. First of, the finance department told me that my application is approved but somewhat on the fence and that I am "Required" to purchase extended warranty / insurance for the car so they can guarantee that I can actually afford repairs for car. I kinda knew that it was just their tactic to get me spend more money but I felt they are pulling underhanded tricks just to sell their products so I called Jim Pattison and told them what happened and how can I transfer my finance application. they told me I was approved and no other strings attached and they'll be glad to help me purchase my new vehicle even at a lower price. The guy I was talking even felt bad knowing other dealership are trying to pull these kind of shady stuff.

Sadly it doesn't end there, I called open road port moody again to cancel my purchase and asking them to transfer my application to JP but I somehow got talked into it. the assistant sales manager apologized personally and told me you are just not purchasing a car but also establishing a relationship at the dealership and want to make things right. This dealership is a lot closer to my area so I just went along with it. I purchased the vehicle, negotiated a discount for a Paint Protection film at half price and since I end up buying extended warranty anyways. A week later, its time to install the PPF, they called me saying they are ready to install the PPF and it only covers half of my front hood. On our negotiations it was pretty clear I asked for the whole front hood to be covered. I remember repeatedly saying I wanted the whole front hood covered. So I told them that I ordered full front hood coverage for the PPF, few minutes later the guy from finance who I negotiated about the PPF/warranty deal called me. He was furious saying he could lose he''s job, told me how dare I lied about our deal and trying to screw him over. He was aggressive and very angry. told me a lot of stuff saying hes not making very much and this could really end up losing hes job. he told me he didnt give me a discount and I lied. the price of the PPF is around 450$ for half the coverage and the full front coverage costed about twice as much so when I was charged 450$ for the PPF I thought with it was clear I was paying for the PPF with full front hood coverage with the half price discount. He said a lot of things, very angry and I tried to be very calm and explained my situation. I mentioned that how it was clear he gave me a discount since he had to step out of the room and asked for he's manager for approval on the discount and he came back saying yes. Somehow he kinda remembers I was right but hes not admitting anything and came up with another deal saying he will refund me the PPF out of hes own pocket since it was just half coverage but allow me to install this on my car. I was very hesitant since I know half coverage of PPF is gonna make my car look ugly, I dont care about teh 200$ cost of that PPF but I felt bad and I dont want this guy to lose he's job over 200$ so I just went along with it very unhappy. When I got my refund, it came from lexus and not from him not sure why but I was like whatever. couple of months afterwards, I called them about extensive yellowing of my PPF and how it should be covered by 3m PPF 5 year warranty, the service guy told me my PPF is not under any warranty since it was refunded to me, they can remove the PPF but it would cost me 200$.

I find it hard to believe that authorized dealership and specially at Lexus have these kind of people trying to sell their cars. Is there anything I can do or do I just take an L and move on?

TLDR: dealership didn't honor our deal, called me a liar, realized I was right, took my warranty away without me knowing.
Sorry you had experience with the dealership. I consider myself a pretty "frequent" buyer. I buy a new car about once a year, either for me, my wife, sisters, parents, in laws, aunties, uncles. I've read countless forum posts on tips on buying cars, bad sales experience and the Edmund's "Confession of a car salesman", so I think I know pretty much the whole sales process, how it's setup, and most tricks/strategies/training they use to increase dealership's profit. I am in no way a "pro" consider they do it everyday and I do it once a year but here are my take away points:

1. I don't worry about their bottom lines. Just figure out a price you want to pay and stick with it. Of course you'll need to back it up with facts.
2. I don't always go back to the previous salesman or dealership as my first choice. At any given point, any dealership can give you YOUR best deal even ones that tend to sell at higher prices. This is all because of the quotas. Basically try them all. Don't just take a dealership out of your list because of a bad sales experience.
2a. The same reason I never refer my salesman to my friends, unless they are buying the same car recently bought (which never happened). Or I never ask my friends to refer their salesmen.
3. I rarely get any of the "holdback" money. Most dealers consider this is pretty much "untouchable" :P Maybe it's my local market.
4. I don't usually aim for absolutely rock bottom price. It's just not worth the time/effort/stress and at the end no-one would be really happy because the salesman would be tired of dealing with you for a mini (but he'd still have to sell you one) and your experience will often be unpleasant. And you'll just hate the whole process.
5. Most of the sales pressure now is at the finance office. Due to the Internet, everyone should know how much they should pay for a new car anyway. If you don't, you should google it.
6. I usually don't buy anything at the FI office except for extended warranties (German cars duh). But I get quotes from dealers that "wholesale" their warranties, then add $100-$200 to that. 90% of the time, the FI person will accept my offer. If not, just buy it after the sale from out of state dealers.

When I try to decline FI products, majority of them will stop. For those that don't and keep pushing, I'd just tell them something like it's easy to spend my money but very hard to get it back. When something happens and I need coverage, I'd have to call somebody else, not YOU, and that somebody will find ways to deny my coverage, so rather I self-insure and pay it when the times comes.

From time to time, I still get some stupid old school tricks like:
"I can lower your interest rate if you buy xyz". LOL. This is 2020 hello! The trick is knowing the lowest rate you are qualified for. I'd just tell them, please fax the Purchase order to my credit union, I'll make sure it's funded in 2 or 3 days.
"The interest rate is higher on 36 months vs. 60 months because banks make less money on 36 months". I was like come on man, Finance 101 - Risk Analysis.
"Here are 3 options for your monthly payment with coverage ....". Uhmm I take the 4th option: no extended warranties or anything extra
"Good news. The car you want is in stock" LOL

Have a good night yall.
Old 09-07-20, 09:23 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

When I leased my i3, finance manager guy at the BMW dealership got upset after I let him go through his sales pitch and I declined every. single. thing.

including the tire insurance. I mean, really?! Tire insurance? The price was bonkers too. He said that BMW loses money on this plan since tires are so expensive and that I was guaranteed to need new expensive tires when I returned the lease.
i declined the coverage and when I returned the car after two years, I didn’t need to replace the tires after all
Old 09-08-20, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right lol, they "lose money" lol

I will say, dealing with the Mercedes people they have been overall excellent, way more consistently good than Lexus...but I did come across one here locally that was just your standard high pressure car salesman "if you take it today" and "I had to fight with my manager". The best is when they give you a terrible offer, and act like you're insane for not taking it. Dude, I have 5 offers that are twice as good as your offer.
Old 09-08-20, 10:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

LOL, that salesman is not in any danger of "losing his job", that is just a bs excuse they give when they lie, don't want to pay for something, want to get out of what they promised, etc. If they might lose their job for your situation that means this guy does that often and they are fed up with him, it is not your obligation to do what you have to do, which means getting screwed over, to make sure he keeps his job.

Dealer add ons are something you should avoid in pretty much all cases, PPF protective film, rust proofing, ceramic coating, fabric/leather protection, extra protections/warranties, etc. They are all normally really over priced, you are often going to have to fight with them/won't be done right, they back out of things, etc. They are there to drive the price up, get you to pay more and make up for any savings you had from a original deal. Aftermarket is the way to go.
Old 09-08-20, 11:03 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezpz

The F& I department makes their money by selling you things you don't need if you are buying a reliable vehicle! They will rip you off every chance you get.& you can get the same service elswere for less. This is why I quit selling cars at 2 different dealers, I don't like ripping people off for a living.
Old 09-08-20, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Dealer add ons are something you should avoid in pretty much all cases, PPF protective film, rust proofing, ceramic coating, fabric/leather protection, extra protections/warranties, etc.
For the most part, I agree with you, but the tire-insurance might not be a bad idea, especially with today's expensive low-profile tires and large wheels that are easily damaged or ruined from potholes and road-debris. Like it or not, there is all kinds of crap lying on the road, potholes/pavement-damage, hard-to-see curbs, and bored teen-agers with nothing better to do than slash tires, just waiting out there for you.
Old 09-08-20, 12:36 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For the most part, I agree with you, but the tire-insurance might not be a bad idea, especially with today's expensive low-profile tires and large wheels that are easily damaged or ruined from potholes and road-debris. Like it or not, there is all kinds of crap lying on the road, potholes/pavement-damage, hard-to-see curbs, and bored teen-agers with nothing better to do than slash tires, just waiting out there for you.
It's a scam really, I've actually purchased that and they fought to the death to not have to replace one Run Flat that developed a bubble in the sidewall. I'll never get runflat tires again. They also wouldn't repair my curb damage.

Quick Reply: Dealership shady practices?