Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GXOR

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 08:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus GXOR

Conceptual offering to the overlanding crowd

To the surprise of just about everyone, large numbers of overlanders have adopted the Lexus GX. The reasons for that are apparent after looking under the surface: Toyota reskinned the Land Cruiser Prado — a slightly smaller version of the venerable Land Cruiser, sold in overseas markets — to create the GX. The result is an intensely capable off-road platform decked out with a bouquet of luxury trimmings. In tribute to the GX's following, and as a way to celebrate the Toyota FJ Summit happening in Ouray, Colorado, right now, Lexus commissioned the GXOR concept. The initialism comes from the overlanding community, the "OR" standing for "offroad" on web sites and in photos and as a Twitter hashtag. This truck's so well equipped for trekking continents, however, that Lexus might have expanded the full meaning of GXOR to "Gone eXtremely Off Road."

The first move to up the rugged quotient is always wheels and tires. Lexus swapped the stock suspension for Icon Vehicle Dynamics shocks with remote reservoirs and a 2.5-inch lift, reinforcing the setup with billet control arms and delta joints. The wheels are 18-inch F-Sport units wrapped in 275/70 (33-inch) General Grabber X3s. When the inevitable hits come, CBI frame sliders and full underbody armor protect the chassis. When situations go all the way south, a Warn 9.5 XPS winch hides behind a custom CBI front bumper, Maxtrax recovery boards stand by on the Eezi-Awn K9 roof rack, and an Icom HAM radio is ready to call for recovery from locals or advice from an operator in Argentina. Other conveniences include a Safari snorkel, 50-inch Rigid light bar, and an Overland Solar 160-watt panel.

The cargo area's been turned into a larder and closet thanks to the National Luna fridge/freezer combo sitting atop the Goose Gear custom drawers. Since it appears the GXOR driver might never wish to return, there's more storage in Alu-boxes up top, and a Patriot Campers X1H trailer provides close gear support. The Patriot's a home on wheels, starting at about $52,000 U.S., packed with features like a remote-controlled, electronically-deployed tent, a twin-burner stove, gas hot water system and 40-gallon tank, and more drawers. But because even that's not enough, Lexus fitted the trailer with matching F-Sport wheels and a Redarc Tow-Pro brake controller.

If you're near Ouray, the GXOR will be on display and on the trails from now until Sunday, July 21. As a concept built with third-party aftermarketgear, there's little chance of seeing the GXOR for sale on a showroom floor.

Source
Old 07-18-19, 08:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Really cool concept. Glad Toyota is doing things to their body on frame SUVs and they are just not doing sport or downsizing engines for their cars. Ps. Do you have some kickback from Autoblog or something?
Old 07-18-19, 08:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Talking

That’s pretty impressive. It’s ready for serious business.
Old 07-18-19, 09:09 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Really cool concept. Glad Toyota is doing things to their body on frame SUVs and they are just not doing sport or downsizing engines for their cars. Ps. Do you have some kickback from Autoblog or something?
No. Their articles are the easiest to copy lol. Some like Autoweek/Automotive new (I forget which one) you can view 1 article before they force you to get a paid subscription.

I don't see the problem. It's the car facts I post, not their opinions.
Old 07-18-19, 09:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No. Their articles are the easiest to copy lol. Some like Autoweek/Automotive new (I forget which one) you can view 1 article before they force you to get a paid subscription.

I don't see the problem. It's the car facts I post, not their opinions.
...Got ya. 👍
Old 07-18-19, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I know it was already posted, but I Love this marketing video from Lexus..
Old 07-18-19, 02:19 PM
Hoovey689

Fun video, but the guy seems a bit boujee in the way he's dressed for the wilderness. Also does he have some extra gas cans we can't see?
Old 07-18-19, 02:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Fun video, but the guy seems a bit boujee in the way he's dressed for the wilderness. Also does he have some extra gas cans we can't see?
Because the guy is driving a Lexus...probably wears a shirt and tie to work during the week. Shops at Eddie Bauer on the weekeend before he heads out to the wilderness...is afraid to show Texas Chainsaw Massacre to his kids.
Old 07-18-19, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because the guy is driving a Lexus...probably wears a shirt and tie to work during the week.
I'm more a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy in my Lexus

Those could also be work clothes that he simply untucked, many businesses are now more casual. And he didn't want to go home and change, less the wifey say he can't go camping. Right after work he headed straight to the wilderness
Old 07-18-19, 02:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I. Right after work he headed straight to the wilderness
LOL.. Right, that is exactly what he did....he also took his trailer to work and took up two spots which pissed everyone off..

Interesting stuff:
the snorkel is real, makes river crossings possible (don't tell Marshall)
going to be revealed at the big FJ Summit

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-18-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-19-19, 07:31 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Courtesy of TFL.

I guess they made the GXOR a talking point at their two pronged GX launch. One in Costa Rica and One in the states with a GXOR launch. Really going hard on a launch. A lot of these parts are off the aftermarket, so good to see some recognition. In addition, they realized that alot of potential on this platform is taken away with factory design (grill, side steps, moldings) and went about carefully remedying them.
Old 07-19-19, 09:34 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

This would sell relatively well if they made it a limited special edition, guaranteed!
Old 07-20-19, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Seems like a really capable package! Lexus should sell this!!
Old 07-20-19, 08:06 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Love this.
Old 07-20-19, 05:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

The 2020 model shows no side molding and I see plugs on this model where the side molding was intended. Personally I think the side molding helps the look of the GX460 so I don’t know why this seems to be getting phased out.

Prado and LX do not have this so perhaps a step in that direction.

Quick Reply: Lexus GXOR