Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2019 Sales thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 05:23 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

Where are you getting those totals from?

GoodCarBadCar has the sales for the LS as 357 for June and 2597 YTD.
Old 07-14-19, 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Where are you getting those totals from?

GoodCarBadCar has the sales for the LS as 357 for June and 2597 YTD.
Maybe worldwide vs u.s.?
Old 07-14-19, 08:09 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Here's the US sales numbers from GoodCarBadCar.

Model S - 1,750 / 7,550 YTD
S-Class - 1,063 / 6,130 YTD
7 Series - 744 / 4,675 YTD
Panamera - 529 / 3,740 YTD
LS - 357 / 2,597 YTD
A8 - 166 / 1,330 YTD
G90 - 162 / 939 YTD

As it stands now, the LS is 281 units behind the same time YTD in 2016. If the LS500 in it's 2nd year can't outsell the LS460 in it's 10th year, I think the market has spoken, loud and clear.
Old 07-14-19, 12:36 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
LC is not meant to be a pure sports car, it is mostly a GT car. The LC will be the better car as a daily driver and on longer trips plus it just looks better then a 911 in my opinion but it won't be the car that brings much driving excitement or a dominant car on the track, I don't care for the big chrome wheels on the LC. 911's are great cars, though I think they are way overpriced(which is true considering the profit margin for them) for what you get.
LC500 is a hidden gem - Lexus has done a horrendous job Marketing it and even a worse job positioning in the marketplace.

I personally enjoyed driving the LC500 over 991.2 911
The 911 handles Better for sure but LC drives smaller than its size suggests. Where the LC wins by a mile is the engine / exhaust sound of the NA V8. There is NO way you can drive this car and not have a smile on yout face.

Lexus NEEDS to leverage that is Naturally Aspirated V8 that sounds tremendous - they need to hire a new marketing company. GT350 main attraction is the sound bec Ford made it a focal point.

LS500 is a disaster on the other hand which needs redesign ASAP and V8.
Old 07-14-19, 01:16 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I agree about the LC500. Home run by Lexus but marketed and positioned poorly.
Old 07-15-19, 07:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree about the LC500. Home run by Lexus but marketed and positioned poorly.
Yes the LC is a great car for sure, definitely marketed poorly and some might disagree but priced inappropriately. It should have never been priced at over $90k. Set it at the $75-$80k level and Lexus would have a big hit on their hands.
Old 07-17-19, 05:51 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by situman
Yes the LC is a great car for sure, definitely marketed poorly and some might disagree but priced inappropriately. It should have never been priced at over $90k. Set it at the $75-$80k level and Lexus would have a big hit on their hands.
Yep. Probably should have been a $75K car.
Old 07-18-19, 01:26 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus these days is primarily a FWD company with sedans and car-based AWD cross-overs being the big sellers. Look at the new ES, which is roaring along at a blistering sales pace. You're more likely to see Lexus execs gushing over the sales numbers of the ES, UX, NX and RX than anything else.

Esoteric niche sellers like the LC500 and to a lesser extent the LS500 don't get the focus from the company even if they provide brand cachet. The LC was meant to be a GT showcase and a halo showroom model more than a big seller. None of the cars in its specific segment sell in large numbers, they're not meant to.

The IS is a nice compact sports luxury sedan that Lexus keeps around to keep some interest, but the GS is languishing as it ages out. The LS is wilting because Lexus went in a different direction with it and lost its traditional buyers, without bringing in new younger customers for it. It's not certain that simply having a V8 would boost LS sales numbers - the LC has a V8 and look at how small its numbers are.
Old 07-19-19, 06:05 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
Well its not that simple.

Consumers are pretty smart especially ones dropping $80-100k on a car.
Lexus is just not a cohesive brand. Their strategy for cars outside of Toyota rebadges is not clear. Their marketing campaigns are extremely poor as well.

Luxury shoppers WANT Customization especially on cars like LS and LC.
They want constant updates, different trim levels etc.
LC500 should have been a Homerun bec its a GREAT car and amazing design.
They should have introduced it and convertible version simultaneously the 12months later LC F. Just copy Mercedes and BMW - look at the new 8 series launch. Look at barage of Options/models for the MB AMG GT coupe.

Lexus can’t put a single variant of brand new model with horrible marketing and expect ppl to run and buy it.
The hybrid variant is a joke.
Old 07-19-19, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Luxury shoppers WANT Customization especially on cars like LS and LC.
LC500 should have been a Homerun bec its a GREAT car and amazing design.
Lexus can’t put a single variant of brand new model with horrible marketing and expect ppl to run and buy it.
The hybrid variant is a joke.
great points all... i agree. the LC is certainly a sexy car, but people buying an expensive emotional car like that want it to be customized and special, unique...

you can’t just mass produce a couple of versions and that’s it.
Old 07-21-19, 06:12 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post from MattyG.

Yes, the LS sales are weak, but look at the whole luxury full size sedan market. Stop trying to compare it to the past, when the 4LS was already struggling to the competition. The Model S, the oldest one, is still winning in sales. Time to charge on to the future, Lexus.

As for the LC, it had decent first year sales and it is not surprising to see a drop now. I think Lexus offering something like a LC and not a new "SC430" is a great sign for the future (more like for me and less for the people that can not let go of the past). A LC F will generate hype, but it won't start outselling everyone in the segment. The segment is tiny too to begin with.

Btw, which company's CEO resigned recently? Was it Lexus? Was it Toyota. No, it was BMW's CEO. Bad example to use BMW for anything at this point: marketing, options, etc. Their new SAVs are probably better than their sedans overall. Maybe BMW should learn from Toyota? Just kidding. Toyota/Lexus have issues too.

Kind of off topic, but with the C8 hype, will be interesting to see if C8 can actually get new sales from outside their typical "successful plumber" demographic. Not many Corvettes in the Bay Area. People with money will never sit in a Chevy. Tesla dominates here. Smh.
Old 07-25-19, 03:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 484 Likes on 321 Posts

Here's the US sales numbers from GoodCarBadCar.

Model S - 1,750 / 7,550 YTD
S-Class - 1,063 / 6,130 YTD
7 Series - 744 / 4,675 YTD
Panamera - 529 / 3,740 YTD
LS - 357 / 2,597 YTD
A8 - 166 / 1,330 YTD
G90 - 162 / 939 YTD

As it stands now, the LS is 281 units behind the same time YTD in 2016. If the LS500 in it's 2nd year can't outsell the LS460 in it's 10th year, I think the market has spoken, loud and clear.
Thanks for the info.
I am a very good judge of character, and from its inception, I knew 5LS was up to no good.
Down to just 350 in June 2019, my prediction is that it will reach sub-100 per month USA long before the mid-life refresh arrives.
Constructively, Lexus needs a total reskin of 5.5LS.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LC500 is a hidden gem - Lexus has done a horrendous job Marketing it and even a worse job positioning in the marketplace.

I personally enjoyed driving the LC500 over 991.2 911
The 911 handles Better for sure but LC drives smaller than its size suggests. Where the LC wins by a mile is the engine / exhaust sound of the NA V8. There is NO way you can drive this car and not have a smile on yout face.

Lexus NEEDS to leverage that is Naturally Aspirated V8 that sounds tremendous - they need to hire a new marketing company. GT350 main attraction is the sound bec Ford made it a focal point.

LS500 is a disaster on the other hand which needs redesign ASAP and V8.
Yes, LC is great.
Could be marketed better, but maybe consumers no longer into coupes? Hence now, it's sedans and CUV/SUV tall wagons?

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lexus these days is primarily a FWD company with sedans and car-based AWD cross-overs being the big sellers. Look at the new ES, which is roaring along at a blistering sales pace. You're more likely to see Lexus execs gushing over the sales numbers of the ES, UX, NX and RX than anything else.

Esoteric niche sellers like the LC500 and to a lesser extent the LS500 don't get the focus from the company even if they provide brand cachet. The LC was meant to be a GT showcase and a halo showroom model more than a big seller. None of the cars in its specific segment sell in large numbers, they're not meant to.

The IS is a nice compact sports luxury sedan that Lexus keeps around to keep some interest, but the GS is languishing as it ages out. The LS is wilting because Lexus went in a different direction with it and lost its traditional buyers, without bringing in new younger customers for it.It's not certain that simply having a V8 would boost LS sales numbers - the LC has a V8 and look at how small its numbers are.
Great post.

Originally Posted by nicedude
Yes, the LS sales are weak, but look at the whole luxury full size sedan market. Stop trying to compare it to the past, when the 4LS was already struggling to the competition. The Model S, the oldest one, is still winning in sales. Time to charge on to the future, Lexus.
I have a feeling that Tesla Model S numbers are relatively high, because the Model S is NOT really a full size luxury sedan, but a midsize luxury sedan.
The Model S has a shorter length and wheelbase, with interior of Model S is much smaller than the S Class, Model S has much less legroom than 5LS if I remember correctly, and prices are much lower too - is it not?

NB
You will notice that both Model 3 and Model S have an extra 8" in their overall length; however this does not mean that Model 3 is midsize, while Model S is full size.
Today, the extra 8" in overall length is attributed to the swoopy curvaceous styling - which adds the additional 8" to overall length.
If these modernly styled swoopy vehicles were similar in length to say a C and E Class from the 1990's, then the curvaceous front and rear styling would really compromize the interior cabin length.

Ditto the additional length in the wheelbase.
Wheelbases are getting longer and longer, while overhangs getting shorter.
EV's need additional wheelbase again to house the battery pack inside the wheelbase.

Another reason why many people mistakenly consider Model 3 & Model S to be midsize and full size respectively is due to their weight.
Model 3 and Model S are very heavy due to the solid battery packs, and not because it is midsize and full size respectively.

A final point is that Models 3 and S are mistakenly considered to be a class higher due to its additional price.

In truth, Model 3 is a compact, while Model S is a midsize, and that's why when we compare sales of Model S to S Class, we find that the generally cheaper Model S sells so well...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-03-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 07:10 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure the Model S is rated by the EPA as a full size sedan so yeah, gonna have to compare it with the other full size sedans. No need to bring in all these measurement numbers and personal assumptions. The Model S is the sales leader in the segment. Case closed.
Old 08-04-19, 12:04 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep. Probably should have been a $75K car.
Definitely should have been.
Old 08-04-19, 12:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
Pretty sure the Model S is rated by the EPA as a full size sedan so yeah, gonna have to compare it with the other full size sedans. No need to bring in all these measurement numbers and personal assumptions. The Model S is the sales leader in the segment. Case closed.
Very different cars and buyers, I don't see them as competitors or the Model S as a flagship luxury car. S class is much more expensive, larger, all about luxury and pampering its driver and passengers, details and their buyers probably don't care much about the save the world image of a Tesla.

Tesla/Model S is smaller, not very luxurious, not anywhere near as opulent, and is mainly bought by those looking to make I am saving the world statement(in reality they aren't).

Quick Reply: June 2019 Sales thread