Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2019 Sales thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I can imagine a used LC500h in a few years could be a bargain.

either way, the LC is one BEAUTIFUL car.
I'm patiently waiting another 5 yrs for a used one.
Old 07-10-19, 02:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

LC sales are a little better then I thought. Hardly ever see them on the road but 1500-2000 a year isn't too bad, sounds like they are discounting them to move them.
Old 07-10-19, 03:58 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried my best to love the LC but after test driving a few Porsche's. I realize the car just wasn't up the par in performance and excitement. I must admit the exterior and interior are beautiful.
Old 07-10-19, 10:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
I tried my best to love the LC but after test driving a few Porsche's. I realize the car just wasn't up the par in performance and excitement. I must admit the exterior and interior are beautiful.
LC is not meant to be a pure sports car, it is mostly a GT car. The LC will be the better car as a daily driver and on longer trips plus it just looks better then a 911 in my opinion but it won't be the car that brings much driving excitement or a dominant car on the track, I don't care for the big chrome wheels on the LC. 911's are great cars, though I think they are way overpriced(which is true considering the profit margin for them) for what you get.
Old 07-11-19, 07:05 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
LC is not meant to be a pure sports car, it is mostly a GT car. The LC will be the better car as a daily driver and on longer trips plus it just looks better then a 911 in my opinion but it won't be the car that brings much driving excitement or a dominant car on the track, I don't care for the big chrome wheels on the LC. 911's are great cars, though I think they are way overpriced(which is true considering the profit margin for them) for what you get.
The 8 series is considered a GT as well, but it still provides gobs of power. There's just no excuse as to why the LC is so far behind yet charges $100k for it.
Old 07-11-19, 09:31 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Performance just isn't Lexus' lane
Old 07-11-19, 10:52 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Performance just isn't Lexus' lane
Or luxury and refinement. Seems that Lexus has taken a step back overall IMO. Maybe others have just caught up?
Old 07-11-19, 10:56 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Or luxury and refinement. Seems that Lexus has taken a step back overall IMO. Maybe others have just caught up?
I wouldn't say all that. The gs, LS, LC are pretty refined to me. They just aren't fast or the best handling.
Old 07-11-19, 11:56 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I wouldn't say all that. The gs, LS, LC are pretty refined to me. They just aren't fast or the best handling.
The LS has lost some luster and refinement. I can’t speak to GS or LC. Generally, fit and finish took a step back. Still above average, but not out of the ballpark.
Old 07-12-19, 09:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
The 8 series is considered a GT as well, but it still provides gobs of power. There's just no excuse as to why the LC is so far behind yet charges $100k for it.
Toyota/Lexus has no tt V8, BMW has had a tt V8 for over 10 years so they have a big head start. The BMW tt V8 puts out great numbers but it has also had a lot of issue at least with the last 7 series. Until Toyota comes out with a tt V8, the LC is going to be way behind the 8 series, LC is selling now with discounts from what I read where BMW 8 series is going to be selling likely right a MSRP for a while so the difference in price is going to be much larger then their listed prices.
Old 07-12-19, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i think all 100K+ vehicle sales are now threatened by tesla (S/X).
Old 07-12-19, 10:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
Toyota/Lexus has no tt V8, BMW has had a tt V8 for over 10 years so they have a big head start. The BMW tt V8 puts out great numbers but it has also had a lot of issue at least with the last 7 series. Until Toyota comes out with a tt V8, the LC is going to be way behind the 8 series, LC is selling now with discounts from what I read where BMW 8 series is going to be selling likely right a MSRP for a while so the difference in price is going to be much larger then their listed prices.
Discounts are variable not everyone will ask or get a discount so its only fair to compare MSRP. In the last 10yrs we got a tt V6, talk about lazy.
Old 07-13-19, 06:02 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Discounts are variable not everyone will ask or get a discount so its only fair to compare MSRP. In the last 10yrs we got a tt V6, talk about lazy.
And the worse is they put the tt V6 in the wrong car, it should have went into the GS, IS, and RC where it is needed, not the LS which should have got a V8.

Lexus is not the only one who is lazy though, the interior of the new 8 series is an almost exact clone of the new 3 series in design and material, they did nothing to make it special or unique for such a big jump in price and prestige, at least the LC has a very unique interior and is unique from lesser Lexus models.
Old 07-14-19, 01:12 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
are we going back to 2012 really? I bet both of us were here when there was prediction that Hyundai will topple Toyota back then... instead Hyundai and KIA have had years of bad sales due to quality issues. With additions of new models, their sales will go up.

Also out of luxury brands, only Lexus and BMW are growing this year. Lexus 1.3%, BMW 2% while MB dropped 7.3% and Audi dropped 6%. Are they dead brands that are going to quit luxury market now, did MB lose touch with true luxury? j/k

Japanese generally have lower incentives than other brands, so it is not all in the pure volume... TMC has to be profitable in NA, they are already largest manufacturer in the world for 2019.
Thank you for actually including some numbers behind your statements. A lot of complaints here about this and that regarding Toyota/Lexus, but not providing any references to the overall market.

Old 07-14-19, 01:25 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because LS sales seem to be a hot topic every month (although H/K's revenge tour is interesting too), here is the latest June 2019 large luxury sedans sales update:

Model S - 1,750 / 15,250 YTD
S-Class - 1,063 / 8,425 YTD
7 Series - 744 / 4,120 YTD
Panamera - 529 / 4,645 YTD
LS - 357 / 4,368 YTD
A8 - 166 / 576 YTD
G90 - 162 / 1,616 YTD

Model S is still leading the way. Unlikely the S-Class will catch up by the end of the year. 7 Series will most likely finish in third place for the year (big grille, big sales?), but the Panamera and LS are actually performing better so far in 2019. Rooting for the LS to beat the Panamera, but the LS will need some "December to Remember" magic every month for the rest of 2019 for that. A8 sales should increase with the the V8 option and the S8. Upcoming refreshed G90 and dealership issues being fixed should also help sales too.

Sidebar, having spent time in Japan on vacation recently and seeing the LS in its natural habitat, I really don't want the LS to go back to being a generic S-Class alternative. Time to end this European bias and do its own thing. 30 years in the game, Lexus deserves to go its own route. A lot of current Lexus owners will disagree, but it is what it is.

Quick Reply: June 2019 Sales thread