Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2019 Sales thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 07:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol - toyota didn’t have one less selling day than their competition, they simply report if a month has one more or less selling days than the same month in the prior reporting period (year) so the periods can be compared more meaningfully.

i then pointed out that over the whole YEAR to date they’re down and 1 day is hardly going to make the difference.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Qed
You really dislike Toyota?

I was looking at only the Toyota North American built models, my mistake And just explain QED instead of some silly Google Post. I thought some of us were friends and part of a community on here. I guess not

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-02-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You really dislike Toyota?
really don’t know how you inferred that and no i don’t dislike toyota. I explained how the 1 day difference in month sales days is of note in year over year comparisons within toyota. i’ve already stated my theory on toyota’s strategy. I observed from data that their sales are down for the year vs. last year (1 day in june 19 vs june 18 is irrelevant).

i’m impressed with how toyota has made a common platform strategy that has made cars stronger and more rigid and lighter, making for better ride, handling and efficiency. I’m impressed with their decision to make the rav4 hybrid option ‘cheap’ which has lead to a huge boost in sales. I’m impressed they’ve FINALLY come out with a corolla hybrid so people don’t have to buy a fugly prius. It’s no secret that i think they’ve rested on their laurels way too long with a lot of the ancient stuff (4runner, sequoia, tundra, gx, lx, etc), and i’m disappointed their partners with bmw for a new supra (heresy ).

but ‘really dislike toyota’? No. I don’t dislike any car company really.
Old 07-02-19, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And just explain QED instead of some silly Google Post.
and you could easily just look it up, so i put the silly link because, nothing personal, i felt you were lazy.

ok, back to june sales.
Old 07-03-19, 05:48 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Audi

https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/333

June sales relatively flat at -0.3 pct; '19 A6, A7, A8 achieve triple-digit YoY growth with consumer demand

Old 07-03-19, 06:13 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Genesis

https://www.genesisnewsusa.com/en-us/releases/154

LED BY AWARD-WINNING G70 LUXURY SPORT SEDAN, GENESIS SALES INCREASE BY DOUBLE DIGITS IN 2019

Jul 2, 2019
  • Year-over-year sales have increased in each month of 2019, galvanized by the all-new G70 luxury sport sedan
  • Separate Genesis retail network now comprises over 300 retailers

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., July 2, 2019 – Genesis Motor America today reported sales of 10,007 for the 1st 2 quarters of 2019, a 38 percent increase compared with the prior year. For the month of June, Genesis counted 1,887 vehicles sold.

This positive sales momentum is reflective of the great progress we’ve begun to make with our new Genesis Retail Network and appreciation for our portfolio of award-winning vehicles. After initial availability constraints across the growing network of new Genesis retailers in Q4 2018 that resulted in 408 G70 retails, Q1 2019 sales increased 447 percent to 2,231 units and increased another 56 percent in Q2 2019 to 3,484 units.

Old 07-03-19, 06:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
RAV4 is up.
Oh right. One of the 2 lone bright spots.
Old 07-03-19, 06:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

and you could easily just look it up, so i put the silly link because, nothing personal, i felt you were lazy.

ok, back to june sales.
She likes to infer and make weird accusations. None of us would be on this forum if we didnt like Lexus or Toyota.
Old 07-03-19, 06:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

forget just toyota for a moment... all 3 major japanese brands toyota, honda, and nissan went down (nissan CLOBBERED), i think this is a direct result of improving offerings at hyundai kia, ford, gm, volvo, tesla, on and on...
Yea it is weird. Maybe it is just the age of the majority of their SUV lineups? Outside of the RAV 4 and UX, everything is just old and the UX isn't exactly setting the sales charts on fire either. Plus lower incentives out there perhaps?
Old 07-03-19, 08:48 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

It's weird I have yet to see the new a7 on the street. I'm curious to know what it looks like in person
Old 07-03-19, 09:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I don’t mean to keep bashing on the LS, but this is embarrassing. Not sure if there is much Lexus can do about it. I am glad to have my 460!!
It's not good at all. I knew this would happen when seeing the design inside and out in pics and my impression did not improve when I saw it in person. That along with the loss of the 8 cylinder and annoying/frustrating control system and the car was doomed to low sales from the get go. If I had a LS460, I would just see no real reason to "upgrade" to the new LS. I think a emergency re design may be coming a lot sooner then expected. I guess the only bright spot is that it is not doing as bad as the new Audi A8 which was also to be expected after seeing its design inside and out, 6 cylinder only for now.
Old 07-03-19, 03:30 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It's not good at all. I knew this would happen when seeing the design inside and out in pics and my impression did not improve when I saw it in person. That along with the loss of the 8 cylinder and annoying/frustrating control system and the car was doomed to low sales from the get go. If I had a LS460, I would just see no real reason to "upgrade" to the new LS. I think a emergency re design may be coming a lot sooner then expected. I guess the only bright spot is that it is not doing as bad as the new Audi A8 which was also to be expected after seeing its design inside and out, 6 cylinder only for now.
Design is not solely to blame, it's the model cycle gap that lost them all the customers ready to upgrade. They all went somewhere else. No one is going to wait for a single decade until Lexus releases a new model. What they did with 4LS was absolute disgrace and then they release a 5LS that from technology perspective belongs in 2014. Lexus does not have any engines nor advanced driver technology to pair the Germans anymore in high end luxury segment. Maybe that's not their priority anymore until there is some reasonable shift in the market.
Old 07-03-19, 03:49 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Design is not solely to blame, it's the model cycle gap that lost them all the customers ready to upgrade. They all went somewhere else. No one is going to wait for a single decade until Lexus releases a new model. What they did with 4LS was absolute disgrace and then they release a 5LS that from technology perspective belongs in 2014. Lexus does not have any engines nor advanced driver technology to pair the Germans anymore in high end luxury segment. Maybe that's not their priority anymore until there is some reasonable shift in the market.
Agreed. Slow redesign times for many models in both Toyota and Lexus. Lots of brands to choose from. Lexus is resting on its laurels. My next vehicle may not be a Lexus or Toyota product and I am ok with that.
Old 07-03-19, 08:42 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Lexus has a lot of work to do. It's not going to be enough to sell against the Germans because you're the reliable one. While that's enough to persuade some buyers, Lexus should be able to stand toe to toe will MB, BMW, and Audi on tech and performance. Toyota has much more money than any of them. I understand that on a worldwide standing, Lexus has less brand power and as a result usually can't command the prices of the Germans, but if Lexus doesn't build to their level, they won't gain prestige strength.

The LS isn't even where things are a mess. The high end SUV segment is where they need a massive investment. They own the RX's segment but Lexus is a decade behind on the larger SUV segments. Compare the LX with the new GLS or X7 and it's laughable. I have little faith that they have something in the pipeline that will compete. Those things have more tech in them than Silicon Valley.
Old 07-03-19, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

It’s not a question of whether lexus can compete, they could if they want to, but they simply don’t want to make that required MASSIVE investment.

mercedes and bmw now have HUGE vehicle model portfolios and range. There’s just no way lexus is going to catch up, because they won’t make that investment when they can make much more money with improvements to mainstream vehicles.

ultimately lexus is a big but quite limited success. It continues to grow steadily but it won’t be a real competitor to mb/bmw.
Old 07-04-19, 03:44 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

It’s not a question of whether lexus can compete, they could if they want to, but they simply don’t want to make that required MASSIVE investment.

mercedes and bmw now have HUGE vehicle model portfolios and range. There’s just no way lexus is going to catch up, because they won’t make that investment when they can make much more money with improvements to mainstream vehicles.

ultimately lexus is a big but quite limited success. It continues to grow steadily but it won’t be a real competitor to mb/bmw.
Appears Lexus has given up on the high-end vehicles and is focusing a majority of effort on lower-end cars that are more reasonably priced. The LX will never compete with anything that can be considered luxurious, as long as it shares platform with the rugged LC. Yes, the LS was redesigned, but that is laughable and selling at levels the LS460 was selling at towards the end.

GS and GX also need improvement. I think Lexus needs a large SUV that can actually compete with the big boys.

So, what’s going to happen? Is Lexus going to curl up in a ball and fade to obscurity or are they going to become the innovative manufacturer that they were once known for?

Quick Reply: June 2019 Sales thread