Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Lincoln Town Car Was the Last True American Luxury Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 02:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My last company car before retirement was a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis which was mechanically identical to the Town Car. Instead of leather, I had velour seats. The car was intended to provide comfortable transport for customers and for VIP's picked up at the airport. It was, indeed, smooth and quiet. The quality was much better than many expected. The doors closed solidly, the interior fit was excellent, and the paint job was very good. In a little over a year, I had exactly zero mechanical issues. For its mission at the time, the big Ford, Mercury, Lincolns were unmatched. My personal car at the time was a Lincoln LS which was a much better driving car even though it was much smaller.

The Town Car was good at its job for the time, but times have changed.

By the way, on my last trip through the airport, there was a Genesis G90 in the limo pick-up area. Times are really a changin'.
This sums it up perfectly. Times have indeed changed - They always do.
Old 06-03-19, 05:43 AM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Taking a car service at 11pm after a 14 hour day, it never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with a floaty ol’ couch ride!
Old 06-03-19, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
Taking a car service at 11pm after a 14 hour day, it never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with a floaty ol’ couch ride!
Those older town cars were renowned for their soft floaty ride. I have no issue with that
Old 06-03-19, 06:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

My last company car before retirement was a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis which was mechanically identical to the Town Car. Instead of leather, I had velour seats. The car was intended to provide comfortable transport for customers and for VIP's picked up at the airport. It was, indeed, smooth and quiet. The quality was much better than many expected. The doors closed solidly, the interior fit was excellent, and the paint job was very good. In a little over a year, I had exactly zero mechanical issues. For its mission at the time, the big Ford, Mercury, Lincolns were unmatched.
Seeing crazy high high mileage cars for sale on Autotrader. The idea that those old body on frame cars don’t last is wrong.
Old 06-03-19, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Town Car was good at its job for the time, but times have changed.
Times don't always change for the better, though.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Those older town cars were renowned for their soft floaty ride. I have no issue with that

Many people agree with you, and don't have an issue, ether.....more than what the auto industry thinks.

Originally Posted by [color=#222222
Dmaxdmax
it never occurred to me that there was anything wrong with a floaty ol’ couch ride![/quote]

You are correct.....there isn't. But we don't see those kinds of suspensions/rides/tires any more, though, on newer vehicles, because of the sport-oriented auto press, which (today) has enormous influence on how manufacturers design vehicles. They have talked the industry into trying to make much of what they build today ride and handle like sports cars. Sadly, there are only a few real holdouts left...and some them will soon be gone.
Old 06-03-19, 06:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
There's not....if that's the only use a Town Car will be put to.
Old 06-03-19, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
There's not....IF that's the only use a Town Car will be put to.

Well, I think it's a reasonable assumption that most Town Car Drivers, most of the time, are not going to be trying to drive like they are behind the wheel of a Miata. That's the name of the game with cars like this....isolate one from the road surface and wind noise, and let one relax and ride in comfort.
Old 06-03-19, 08:09 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Off topic, but I had to laugh when this guy pitched his "merchandise". Asking $35-50 for a small, signed/personalized photo that isn't even framed? Get real Dougie!
Old 06-03-19, 09:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

finally watched the video ... a trip down memory lane ... the '05 is in amazing shape.
Old 06-03-19, 08:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
my friend after going in my crown vic for the first time was like did the car really need to make that much noise to only take us up the block? yes it does lmao... such a pos but in an awesome way, the police models also had a high stall torque converter so they basically always rev to like 2500 just to get going, and the high revs also somewhat compensate for having too few gears for the power
Back years ago I raced a Police Interceptor, my buddy was off duty and we used a closed, isolated road (that's all I'm gonna say lol) to do a few 0-80 runs.

This was back when I drove an Infiniti I35 which was quick but not a truly fast car.

He got left in the dust. Keep in mind my said 255hp Infiniti did 0-60 in about 7 seconds flat, and also was saddled with a 4spd automatic with mediocre gearing at best.
Old 06-04-19, 05:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Am I the only one that feels the Cadillac DeVille (or DTS in later years) was superior to the Town Car? I'd say that was the last true American Luxury Sedan. I remember getting a DTS as a rental car many years ago and taking it on a pretty substantial road trip and was very impressed with the level of luxury, ride quality, etc. I certainly preferred that ride experience over the Lincoln.
Old 06-04-19, 06:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Back years ago I raced a Police Interceptor, my buddy was off duty and we used a closed, isolated road (that's all I'm gonna say lol) to do a few 0-80 runs.

This was back when I drove an Infiniti I35 which was quick but not a truly fast car.

He got left in the dust. Keep in mind my said 255hp Infiniti did 0-60 in about 7 seconds flat, and also was saddled with a 4spd automatic with mediocre gearing at best.
Crown Vic Police interceptors, even with the Police-spec drivetrain, brakes and chassis, were generally not designed for high speeds, but durability. Their ladder-type frames and bolt-on bodies could take punishment that would wreck a unibody sedan. Not surprisingly, the weight that added to their strength slowed them down. And, yes, the Town Car was done on the same chassis.
Old 06-04-19, 09:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Am I the only one that feels the Cadillac DeVille (or DTS in later years) was superior to the Town Car? I'd say that was the last true American Luxury Sedan. I remember getting a DTS as a rental car many years ago and taking it on a pretty substantial road trip and was very impressed with the level of luxury, ride quality, etc. I certainly preferred that ride experience over the Lincoln.
No I'll definitely agree with you. I also had a DTS as a rental years ago as well, and found it FAR superior to the Town Car in every conceivable way. It was roomier, more comfortable, higher-quality materials, faster and quieter, drove like a smaller car, and had way more features (first car I ever drove with air conditioned seats!). Still wouldn't have purchased one because it was too "old fogey" for me, but we were quite satisfied with it as a rental.
Old 06-04-19, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
No I'll definitely agree with you. I also had a DTS as a rental years ago as well, and found it FAR superior to the Town Car in every conceivable way. It was roomier, more comfortable, higher-quality materials, faster and quieter, drove like a smaller car, and had way more features (first car I ever drove with air conditioned seats!).
Neither one of them really had very high-quality materials inside. Cheaply-done interiors, for the most part, were one of the classic failures of many American-designed vehicles of that era. That was one of the few areas where the XTS and MKS were actually improvements.....along with better handling and an AWD option for bad weather.

Still wouldn't have purchased one because it was too "old fogey" for me, but we were quite satisfied with it as a rental.
The DTS was one of those (quite-rare) instances where a vehicle's stereotype does, in fact, fit the actual demographic. I've seen young people driving Buicks, young people driving Lincolns, young people driving Land-Rovers, and other vehicles and makes that are considered Geriatric brands in the world of stereotypes. But, like I said, it is quite rare (in a half-a century of driving, I can probably count the number of times on the fingers of one hand) when I have seen someone under 50 driving a Cadillac DeVille or DTS. I've actually seen more of them (though not many more) in Town Cars LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-04-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Lincoln Town Car Was the Last True American Luxury Sedan
Weren't the Town Car AND the DTS both discontinued for 2011? If so BOTH were the 'last true American luxury sedans'. Silly thread

Quick Reply: The Lincoln Town Car Was the Last True American Luxury Sedan