Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Lincoln Town Car Was the Last True American Luxury Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-19, 12:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default The Lincoln Town Car Was the Last True American Luxury Sedan

A little healthy dose of Doug Demuro today. IMO this was one of his better videos.

Favorite Line, “every luxury sedan today has to be a sports car, blah blah blah”

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-01-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 12:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As dated, horrible and obsolete as the Town Car was at the time. I think I would take this Town Car over the better LS of that era. There is something cool about its old fashionedness. Like old people stuff. Body on frame

Sometimes stupidity is fun.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-01-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 01:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As dated, horrible and obsolete as the Town Car was at the time. I think I would take this Town Car over the better LS of that era. There is something cool about its old fashionedness. Like old people stuff. Body on frame

Sometimes stupidity is fun.
You'd seriously take a BOF 20+ year old Ford Crown Vic platform over a 2011 LS460?
Old 06-01-19, 01:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
You'd seriously take a BOF 20+ year old Ford Crown Vic platform over a 2011 LS460?
2005 era Lincoln. So yeah, 2005 Lexus LS whatever that model is. Why not? I love the of how stupid it be to do it. And it would be cheap to repair.
Old 06-01-19, 02:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Doug's correct on two things which ruined the traditional luxury-sedan business as we knew it. First, the idea that luxury cars had to handle/steer/respond like sports cars, which in many cases ruined the ride-quality and set the vehicles up for a lot of wheel/tire damage, on rough roads, from low-profile tires. Second, the obsession with marketing to younger people, when, in most cases, it's the people over 50, nearing retirement, who have been earning and saving money all their lives, that have the most money to spend on new cars, not those in their 20s and 30s. I've posted a whole book about this, here on Car Chat LOL, so I'm not going to dwell on it a lot more here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 02:25 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I would think dealers make more money off young people buying car/suv's than older people. I would think most of the profit comes in the F&I office which the more mature buyers like myself don't use.
Old 06-01-19, 02:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I would think dealers make more money off young people buying car/suv's than older people..
Yes, this is 100% correct.

I would think most of the profit comes in the F&I office which the more mature buyers like myself don't use.
Older folks also slow down on the car buying compared to what they did when they were younger. Most people, once they hit retirement, their income lowers, spending changes. You are right.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-01-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 03:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I would think dealers make more money off young people buying car/suv's than older people. I would think most of the profit comes in the F&I office which the more mature buyers like myself don't use.
Yes, this is 100% correct.

I would think most of the profit comes in the F&I office which the more mature buyers like myself don't use.

Older folks also slow down on the car buying compared to what they did when they were younger. Most people, once they hit retirement, their income lowers, spending changes. You are right.

That's why I said that the people that typically have the most to spend are generally just before retirement, not actually in retirement. They are usually the ones, not the people in their 20s and 30s, that are the biggest potential cash cows for dealerships.

As far as older people slowing down their buying rate after retirement, though, you would also be surprised at the number of seniors who lease, and get a new vehicle every 2-3 years or so. That frees them from the hassles of ownership, repairs on aging vehicles, breakdowns, putting used cars on the market, trade-in, haggling, dangers from strangers doing test-drives, etc......
Old 06-01-19, 03:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think there was anything luxury about the Town Car. It was a lousy BOF vehicle, that squeaked and rattled and felt like it was going to fall apart after 10k miles. Its floaty suspension made passengers sea sick. Its interior materials and craftsmanship was horrible. The giant soft seats were designed by someone clearly not familiar with the term "ergonomic".

It was popular amongst limo service due to its large interior and cheap price compared to German LWB sedans.
Old 06-01-19, 03:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think there was anything luxury about the Town Car. It was a lousy BOF vehicle, that squeaked and rattled and felt like it was going to fall apart after 10k miles. Its floaty suspension made passengers sea sick. Its interior materials and craftsmanship was horrible. The giant soft seats were designed by someone clearly not familiar with the term "ergonomic".

It was popular amongst limo service due to its large interior and cheap price compared to German LWB sedans.
Harsh...but I accept it.
Old 06-01-19, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think there was anything luxury about the Town Car. It was a lousy BOF vehicle, that squeaked and rattled and felt like it was going to fall apart after 10k miles
Well, squeaks or not, they certainly didn't fall apart at 10K miles. Just ask any cop who regularly used (and abused) their Crown Vics for years...a car that is built on the same platform as the Town Car. Vics were popular with law enforcement and taxi companies because, with the tough truck-type frames, they could take almost anything their owners and drivers dished out.

It was popular with the limo firms because it was comfortable......a design-objective that many later vehicles (fortunately not all) tended to forget.
Old 06-01-19, 05:13 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Back in 2005, the Lexus 430 was much more of a luxury car than the Town Car. Although it was a bit smaller, it had a fantastic interior with real wood, soft leather, and even ventilated seats. The ride was just as smooth without all the floaty feeling of the Lincoln, and the Lexus was much quieter. There was certainly no attempt to make the LS430 drive like a sports car.
Old 06-01-19, 05:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Back in 2005, the Lexus 430 was much more of a luxury car than the Town Car. Although it was a bit smaller, it had a fantastic interior with real wood, soft leather, and even ventilated seats. The ride was just as smooth without all the floaty feeling of the Lincoln, and the Lexus was much quieter. There was certainly no attempt to make the LS430 drive like a sports car.
I agree. I am not saying the LS430 is not better. Was just saying that sometimes dumb things could be fun.
Old 06-01-19, 05:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think there was anything luxury about the Town Car. It was a lousy BOF vehicle, that squeaked and rattled and felt like it was going to fall apart after 10k miles..
There are examples on Autotrader of some TC models hitting 500K.
Old 06-01-19, 06:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

2005 era Lincoln. So yeah, 2005 Lexus LS whatever that model is. Why not? I love the of how stupid it be to do it. And it would be cheap to repair.
2005 LS430 was probably the best car Lexus ever built, lol. Not hating on you, just pointing that out. I have respect for the Panther cars, but any LS is 40 steps above one.

Quick Reply: The Lincoln Town Car Was the Last True American Luxury Sedan