Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G80 will not come with a V8

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 06:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 231 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I miss my V8 from my GS430 even though the 6 cylinder in my GS350 makes more power and is a little quicker.
Interesting. Even top end? That V8 really comes into its own at highway speeds. We have the 3.5 in our IS so I know what a monster it is. That said, I vastly prefer the 4.3 in my car-- it's not even remotely, remotely close.

The 3.5 has a couple of ponies on the old V8 but significantly less torque, even with the super light IS we have (that's a monster, like I said), it's torque-less by comparison.
Old 05-25-19, 07:02 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I have driven the G90 with both the TT V-6 and the V-8. There is virtually no reason the choose the V-8 option. The TT V-6 actually has better mid range acceleration and doesn't require downshifts as often. The engine isolation is so good that there is really no difference is noise or smoothness. I realize that the G80 isolation is not as good as the G90, but I doubt that most people will miss the V-8 option. The Kia K900 is now available in the US with only the TT V-6. On these low volume cars, it makes sense to simplify the inventory.
I guess I really need to try the V-6. Intuitively, I'd think the 5.0 V-8 would be the one to get based on my week with it. It's a smooth, quiet engine. It's very easy to cruise along without going over 2000 RPM, still keeping up with traffic. At full throttle, it's perhaps a bit undramatic, but very strong nonetheless. It feels like a low-5-second car. I keep hearing good things about that V-6, and my coworker just got himself a Stinger GT, so maybe I'll get to try it out.
Old 05-25-19, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's very easy to cruise along without going over 2000 RPM
That's probably more a consequence of the transmission-gearing and final-drive ratio than the design of the engine itself.
Old 05-25-19, 07:55 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Interesting. Even top end? That V8 really comes into its own at highway speeds. We have the 3.5 in our IS so I know what a monster it is. That said, I vastly prefer the 4.3 in my car-- it's not even remotely, remotely close.

The 3.5 has a couple of ponies on the old V8 but significantly less torque, even with the super light IS we have (that's a monster, like I said), it's torque-less by comparison.
I am sure there are certain scenarious/rpm's where my GS430 is a little quicker then my GS350, they would be very close just going by the butt dyno. When I first got my GS350 I thought it may not be as quick or just the same but after putting it in Sport+ and flooring it, it does feel like it is likely quicker even though it doesn't have as much low down torque at first but it is more responsive. The GS350 just seems to build power and power and rev's harder then the G430 where the GS430 had a big swell of torque when floored and dropping a gear but then seemed to steadily build the power not as aggressively as my GS430.

The most impressive acceleration I felt with the GS430 was when I was on the highway, I was behind a mini van in the passing lane going about 10mph to 15mph slower then traffic, just really annoying, everyone in the right lane passing him at high rates of speed, I had no chance to pass him on the right, guy in the mini van finally got over when a 18 wheeler on my right had its signal on trying to get in the passing lane but saw I was trying to get passed the mini van and he waved me just pass before he was going to get over and I floored it, it just took off and flew past them, felt like a lot more then just 300hp that time. Most impressive acceleration I felt in my GS350 was when I was coming out of a neighborhood with a long straight stretch of straight road with nothing else for like a quarter mile, I floored it in Sport+ and was pretty shocked how it accelerated from a slow roll and to me felt quicker then my GS430, overall I think my GS350 is probably quicker in most situations with a extra gear, direct injection, more aggressive throttle in Sport+ but I think on the highway at highway speeds and maybe 0-30 or 40 the GS430 could be quicker or at least around the same.

Pretty much all the 0-60 testing/stats show the 2013-2015 GS350 as being a few tenths of a second quicker 0-60 and quarter mile then the GS430, I have seen one or two tests get 5.4 sec for the GS350, few others 5.5-5.6 where the quickest I saw for the GS430 was 5.7 sec and I think that was just one, most others were around 6 sec. Funny thing is the 3rd Gen GS350 has done 0-60 in 5.3 sec and it felt slightly quicker then the 4th Gen, the 2016+ GS350's are noticeably slower then the pre 2015's which I noticed during test drives, you can also see it being slower in 0-60 testing, likely due to gearing/8 speed to try to get better fuel economy.

Overall I still prefer the 8 cylinder and would rather it have a V8 but will admit the V6 in Sport+ is more responsive and can give surprising acceleration, it also gets better fuel economy likely also due to the extra gear, on a long trip I was getting over 31mpg highway with the car pretty loaded with luggage in my 350 and I have awd, best I could do in my 430 was about 28mpg.
Old 05-25-19, 08:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I have driven the G90 with both the TT V-6 and the V-8. There is virtually no reason the choose the V-8 option. The TT V-6 actually has better mid range acceleration and doesn't require downshifts as often. The engine isolation is so good that there is really no difference is noise or smoothness. I realize that the G80 isolation is not as good as the G90, but I doubt that most people will miss the V-8 option. The Kia K900 is now available in the US with only the TT V-6. On these low volume cars, it makes sense to simplify the inventory.
I have driven both, there is not a big difference but the V8 still felt quicker and smoother, tests show the V8 to be the quicker engine in both the G80 and G90 and as far as long term reliability I am still not totally sold on the reliability of ttV6 Hyundai engine, I think the NA 8 cylinder is the safer bet if you plan on keeping it past warranty. The Hyundai V8 gets very high marks, no reason they need to kill it in my opinion especially for the US market which would be Genesis biggest market where there are no penalties for 8 cylinders or displacement.
Old 05-25-19, 09:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

s far as long term reliability I am still not totally sold on the reliability of ttV6 Hyundai engine,
Most people buy luxury cars for the now, long term reliability is not that big of a thing.

The Hyundai V8 gets very high marks, no reason they need to kill it in my opinion especially for the US market which would be Genesis biggest market where there are no penalties for 8 cylinders or displacement.
I do agree with you. Hyundai should keep a V8, they stand out compared to their competition. But, they need a new V8, the new Lexus V6tt in the LS outperforms the V8 in the Genesis models.
Old 05-25-19, 10:16 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Copying this and pasting it on the next 5LS hate thread. :]

I do wonder if Genesis is developing a turbo 8 for the next generation G90 though.
Old 05-25-19, 12:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Most people buy luxury cars for the now, long term reliability is not that big of a thing.

I do agree with you. Hyundai should keep a V8, they stand out compared to their competition. But, they need a new V8, the new Lexus V6tt in the LS outperforms the V8 in the Genesis models.
Not all luxury car buyers, many do want to keep their cars past warranty, and I would imagine many expect a company like Genesis like Lexus, Acura to be a more reliable, painless, longer term ownership option over the Germans.
Old 05-25-19, 12:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicedude
Copying this and pasting it on the next 5LS hate thread. :]

I do wonder if Genesis is developing a turbo 8 for the next generation G90 though.
From the article it sounds like they are just giving up on a V8 all together, no new one.
Old 05-26-19, 03:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

many do want to keep their cars past warranty, and I would imagine many expect a company like Genesis like Lexus, Acura to be a more reliable, painless, longer term ownership option over the Germans.
Yep.....though Hyundai and Kia have been doing it for years, that's one reason why Genesis offers that long 10/100 and 5/60 warranty at no extra cost. The best the Germans will give you on their upscale products is 4/50, although I think VW exceeds that.
Old 05-26-19, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I’ve not heard of a single engine issue with the hyundai v8 or ttv6... i have the ttv6 and it’s VERY strong. The drive modes really make a difference too. In sport mode the car just flies. I’m sure a tesla could leave me in the dust but at lights i typically leave everything looking like they’re standing still with little pedal input.

The non-turbo v8 is likely a bit smoother being a lot less complex mechanically, and just the nature of v8’s vs. v6’s but hyundai really did an amazing job tuning the two turbos to provide very seamless and no-lag performance. It’s a beast. I cannot imagine driving the g70 3.3 (ttv6) - must be a hoot. in my long and heavyish sedan though, the power is effortless and only power addicts need more.
Old 05-27-19, 05:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Nobody buys the V8. Its a shame, but...they don't. Can't fault them for building what people want to buy.

The 3.8 outsold the 8 cylinder because the 8 cylinder was such a enormous premium over the 3.8, it was all about price/cost, not what was the better, smoother, more enjoyable engine.
Not in this case. Genesis has the smallest premium for the V8 out of anybody. I think the V8 in the G90 is like $1,800 more than the TTV6, and thats on a car thats already over $60k. For the G80, the V8 is $1,750 more than the 3.3T. If they can't sell V8s with only an $1,800 premium then people just don't want V8s.
Old 05-27-19, 06:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at the marketplace. The Audi A6 does not come with a V8 option so buyers get to spend mucho extra moola on the S6. And you'll be buying an E63 to get a V8 in the Benz midsizer. BMW will sell you a V8 in its 550i, so that's the only real rival here. Genesis has an excellent twin turbo V6, there's no point in wasting resources to keep a V8 option unless Genesis plans on taking down the German Autobahn blasters.
Old 05-27-19, 08:05 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Looking at the marketplace. The Audi A6 does not come with a V8 option so buyers get to spend mucho extra moola on the S6. And you'll be buying an E63 to get a V8 in the Benz midsizer. BMW will sell you a V8 in its 550i, so that's the only real rival here. Genesis has an excellent twin turbo V6, there's no point in wasting resources to keep a V8 option unless Genesis plans on taking down the German Autobahn blasters.
Even the S6 no longer features a V8. It's got the same engine from the RS5.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...6-photos-info/

I disagree with you on the need for the V8 to be the go-fast model. When I drove the G80, I appreciated the sound and smoothness of the V8 over its power. A lot of luxury sedans have V6s, but very few have V8s outside of said performance models or flagship models. The G80's V8 was a great way to set itself apart from other midsize luxury sedans without going overtly sporty. I still want to try the V6 for sure, but if I had to get a G80 today, it would have the V8.
Old 05-27-19, 11:43 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

In the G80, Genesis offered 2 v-6's in addition to the V-8. The normally aspirated 3.8 V-6 was the base and offered adequate performance at a low price. The V-8 was a significant step up in price from the base 3.8, but it included much standard equipment that was optional on the base car. The TT 3.3 V-6 is available on the G80 only on the Sport package. It is much more powerful than the NA 3.8 and is packaged with much of the optional equipment that is standard on the V-8. The price gap from the 3.3TT to the V-8 is relatively small, around $2000 or so. The V-8 is less than a half second faster 0-60 than the 3.3TT and has less mid-range torque. On the G80, I doubt that most buyers will not care that there is no V-8. Unless you opt for a very high performance model (AMG, M, or RS) there is no V-8 option for the E. 5, or A6. If Genesis ever decides to get into the high performance market, you might see a TT version of the V-8. Somewhere in the Hyundai plans for Genesis is a high performance coupe. Maybe after they finally get their SUVs launched we will see how their German design team does when unleashed.

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G80 will not come with a V8