Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Hyundai Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Hyundai Elantra

All Hyundai Elantras will have some form of an automatic as the only transmission. All the naturally asiprated 2.0-liter models get the CVT, while the Eco with its turbocharged 1.4-liter engine and the Sport with its turbo 1.6-liter engine get a seven-speed dual clutch transmission. While that's disappointing for enthusiasts, it's worth noting that manual transmissions are still available in the Elantra GT N-Line and the Hyundai Veloster, and paired with the same turbo engine as the Elantra Sport. As we've previously covered, the CVT trims saw a sizable increase in fuel economy, but the Eco model also picked up 1 mpg across all driving conditions. This could be because of the now standard automatic start and stop function for the trim. The Sport, having not really changed, doesn't see a fuel economy change.

Hyundai also updated the standard features list for the Elantra. All models now come with dual automatic climate control, automatic emergency braking and lane-keep assist. These features help make up for the price increase over the previous model. The new base price is $19,870 with destination charge. That's an increase of $1,750 compared with last year's base price of $18,120 – but that's compared with the manual transmission model that no longer exists. Comparing the new base CVT with the old base automatic, the difference is just $750. The gap narrows with some other trims. In fact, the Eco is the same price, and the Sport with the dual-clutch transmission is cheaper than its equivalent last year. For better fuel economy and extra features, that seems pretty reasonable.
Source
Old 05-15-19, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't mind a CVT. Once you get used to it, it is a pleasure to have. When I did my test drive of an Elantra, they informed me they would go to a CVT.
Old 05-15-19, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

This could be because of the now standard automatic start and stop function for the trim.
Let's hope that Hyundai's version of the start/stop feature will have an on/off switch. While there's no question that the feature saves at least some fuel, it can also be annoying in repeated stop/go traffic.....and the impact, if any, on starter/battery-life remains to be seen. My Lacrosse doesn't have an on/off switch for it, but, when I don't want it, I get around the feature by bumping the E-shifter into manual-mode just as I come to a stop, and then flicking it back to "D" when the light turns green. The feature also doesn't operate under certain conditions of engine temperature, battery-charge, or A/C load.
Old 05-15-19, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

seems like a heck of a good bargain.
Old 05-15-19, 05:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My Lacrosse doesn't have an on/off switch for it, but, when I don't want it, I get around the feature by bumping the E-shifter into manual-mode just as I come to a stop, and then flicking it back to "D" when the light turns green.
Not to be taken in any offensive way. This is a terrible way to be going around the start stop feature. Truly sad to hear you have to do that.
Old 05-15-19, 05:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not to be taken in any offensive way. This is a terrible way to be going around the start stop feature. Truly sad to hear you have to do that.
I actually use the start/stop feature itself quite often, though. It's nice saving gas (the 9-speed transmission and cylinder-shutdown feature also helps), and the starter itself is warrantied for 6 years or 70,000 miles. In a full-size semi-luxury car with a N/A V6, I average low 20s in town and 30 on the road.

There are other ways, sometimes, to beat the feature, but the E-shift blip is generally the easiest.

Back to the Elantra, you said you test-drove one (presumably not a 2020). Since you're a Corolla fan, how did you feel about it in relation to the Corolla? The last Elantra I sampled (I did a review on it) I didn't think drove as refined as the Corolla, though its overall build-quality was rock-solid, with even better interior/exterior hardware.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-15-19 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 07:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Back to the Elantra, you said you test-drove one (presumably not a 2020). Since you're a Corolla fan, how did you feel about it in relation to the Corolla? The last Elantra I sampled (I did a review on it) I didn't think drove as refined as the Corolla, though its overall build-quality was rock-solid, with even better interior/exterior hardware.
The 2019 Elantra we had as a rental car had a surprisingly refined engine, driving quietly and smoothly.
Old 05-16-19, 12:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The start-stop feature doesn't need to be disabled if it's designed right. To say all cars need to have an off switch, because one version is bad, is illogical.
Overall, the Elantra is a strong value. But the jack-o-lantern front styling is a deal breaker.
Old 05-16-19, 06:09 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's hope that Hyundai's version of the start/stop feature will have an on/off switch. While there's no question that the feature saves at least some fuel, it can also be annoying in repeated stop/go traffic.....and the impact, if any, on starter/battery-life remains to be seen. My Lacrosse doesn't have an on/off switch for it, but, when I don't want it, I get around the feature by bumping the E-shifter into manual-mode just as I come to a stop, and then flicking it back to "D" when the light turns green. The feature also doesn't operate under certain conditions of engine temperature, battery-charge, or A/C load.
Hyundai always has a defeat button.
Old 05-16-19, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Never drove a Hyundai manual, wouldn't mind trying. Glad it's not gone through all their cars.

One time I had a business trip in Asia, and was driven in a Tuscon with a stick. Why can't we get these here..lol
Old 05-16-19, 06:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The start-stop feature doesn't need to be disabled if it's designed right. To say all cars need to have an off switch, because one version is bad, is illogical.
Overall, the Elantra is a strong value. But the jack-o-lantern front styling is a deal breaker.
Again I spent 4.5 mos. in a 328i loaner, so I got to experiment. I was able to drive over 6k. The stop/start added 1.x mpg to my commute, the lower end, I wanna say 1.2 mpg. I found myself not frustrated at lights as well. At the time, I was thinking if I owned it, I would be concerned about wear/tear. But that's Scotty talk, nobody bothers with him anymore. At least I don't.
Old 05-16-19, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Your opinion noted, but many drivers disagree.

Unfortunately, In-Your-Face grilles/front-end-styling (and sometimes rear-end styling as well) has become a hallmark of many of today's manufacturers. There are a few exceptions, but it tends to be the rule rather than those exceptions.
Old 05-16-19, 03:48 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the jack-o-lantern comment is regarding the headlights being completely a triangle like a jack-o-lantern would be. I seen the front a few times recently and couldn't put my finger on what it resembeled lol
Old 05-16-19, 11:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. tetsuo
I think the jack-o-lantern comment is regarding the headlights being completely a triangle like a jack-o-lantern would be. I seen the front a few times recently and couldn't put my finger on what it resembeled lol
I must give credit to Car & Driver for the pumpkin face reference. I immediately did not like the new triangle headlights, but couldn't put my finger on it. Then I read the article and it was spot on. It's just plain tacky and obnoxious for a headlight shape.