Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Toyota Tacoma Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Not precisely. The increase in Lexus is just astronomical for the oldest hardware that they equip the Luxury trim with. Probably the best margin ever on safety hardware. (As I say the GX has got to have one of the highest margins in the entire Lexus family).

The reason behind this is from MY17 to My18, the tacoma which got the std TSS packs, on the high end bumped up sticker price by 4.5%. Mind you that the cost of TSS is not 4.5% since smaller cab vehicles were up about 1.5% sooo it dosnt cost Lexus astronomical figures to equip a 4runner/GX with TSS. Nor did it affect sales in any meaningful way.
I was referring to the 4runner price point holdig steady.
Old 01-31-19, 02:56 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Here are the problems I have with the Tacoma:

1/2 ton trucks get the same, or better fuel economy.
1/2 ton trucks have more power/torque
1/2 ton trucks have more room
1/2 ton trucks are about the same price
1/2 ton trucks have more payload
1/2 ton trucks have more towing capacity
1/2 ton trucks can be had for the same price, sometimes cheaper depending on trim levels.

The only reasons I could ever see to buy a tacoma are:

They are stupidly reliable, and some would argue, almost indestructible.
They are lighter, narrower and more agile than 1/2 ton's for off-road use, specifically backcountry trails or Moab/desert runner type duties.
Old 01-31-19, 07:39 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Here are the problems I have with the Tacoma:

1/2 ton trucks get the same, or better fuel economy.
1/2 ton trucks have more power/torque
1/2 ton trucks have more room
1/2 ton trucks are about the same price
1/2 ton trucks have more payload
1/2 ton trucks have more towing capacity
1/2 ton trucks can be had for the same price, sometimes cheaper depending on trim levels.

The only reasons I could ever see to buy a tacoma are:

They are stupidly reliable, and some would argue, almost indestructible.
They are lighter, narrower and more agile than 1/2 ton's for off-road use, specifically backcountry trails or Moab/desert runner type duties.
1/2 tons are also a lot bigger, not everyone wants something that large
Old 02-01-19, 08:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I honestly don't understand the appeal of these small pickup trucks and for the money they are, esp the Tacoma. For the most part it is unrefined, underpowered, cramped, not very good NVH, poor seating positions and etc. Sure it's reliable and all but should anyone suffer in it because it is reliable? I could see why they are all of a sudden showing a revised version, right on the heels of the Ranger, its only true competitor and outsold the Tacoma back in the days. Now it comes with the most power and better refinement.
Old 02-01-19, 09:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I honestly don't understand the appeal of these small pickup trucks and for the money they are, esp the Tacoma. .
So what would be in your opinion an alternative to a Tacoma? What should the buyer be buying.
Old 02-01-19, 10:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

So what would be in your opinion an alternative to a Tacoma? What should the buyer be buying.
They can go for the new Ranger, and from reports of Ford adding additional factory shifts to make it, it sounds like people are doing just that. And I wouldnt be surprised some of those buyers had considered a Tacoma or were Tacoma owners.
Old 02-01-19, 11:06 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I was referring to the 4runner price point holdig steady.
I was claiming the same. Why does Toyota insist on depriving the 4R of TSS, when it only costs them 1.5%-4.5% extra to customers (based on figures obtained from when TSS was implemented as standard on the Taco in 18). If data is extrapolated from the taco sales, the std TSS has not really taken anything away from market demand, or their core demo SAYING NOPE, TOO MANY ELECTRONICS.

Of course this all depends on 2020, and the stream of launches
Old 02-01-19, 11:08 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

They can go for the new Ranger, and from reports of Ford adding additional factory shifts to make it, it sounds like people are doing just that. And I wouldnt be surprised some of those buyers had considered a Tacoma or were Tacoma owners.
The ranger was designed down under, and has been available in those markets for a while. I would think any major issues probably were ironed out so far. Of course this ranger was updated for the NADM so who knows what unproven parts now have been added. The Colorado and Ranger come to mind, but if anything I`d agree that the ranger is probably a better alternative to the taco. \

Heck THE GLADIATOR?
Old 02-01-19, 11:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

This Ranger came out in 2010, got facelifted in 2015 and they sold 1200 units in first month.

But hey, dont that stop you, please continue.
Old 02-01-19, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You had said, you don’t understand the appeal of these small pickups. So I was wondering what is the alternative to a small pick up if that is what one is looking for.
Old 02-01-19, 12:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I was claiming the same. Why does Toyota insist on depriving the 4R of TSS, when it only costs them 1.5%-4.5% extra to customers (based on figures obtained from when TSS was implemented as standard on the Taco in 18). If data is extrapolated from the taco sales, the std TSS has not really taken anything away from market demand, or their core demo SAYING NOPE, TOO MANY ELECTRONICS.

Of course this all depends on 2020, and the stream of launches
It is not a max 4.5% extra to all customers. I will give you an example, I have watched Toyota trucks and SUVs very carefully, and IMO, you need to observe them from outside the US market prices (US prices have every so quietly really risen over the years). My 4Runner, which was bought in 2004 had an MSRP of around $51K for a limited V8, today that same limited (be it a V6) is still approx the same price of $51K, at the same time in 2004 a four door Tacoma was around $38K and a full size generation 1 Tundra crew cab was $48K, fast forward to 2019, a fully loaded Tacoma is now $48K while a loaded Tundra is $66K, Toyota has held steady on the 4Runner pricing, however in other segments Toyota has really jacked prices up. Do you see my example? In the US, a Limited 4Runner is $45K while a fully loaded Highlander is $47K, a highlander was not higher in price over a 4Runner back in 2004, today the 4Runner is bargain for what it is, that is why it sells so well.

I don't know about you, but I would be glad to give up BSM, panic brake, TSS for a lower or hold steady MSRP price.

based on figures obtained from when TSS was implemented as standard on the Taco in 18).
I would put forth the argument, that when they redesigned the Tacoma, TSS was always incorporated into the cost at that time, they could of easily maintained the price point in 2018 and added TSS, but of course they would raise the price.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-01-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The new 2020 Tacoma FINALLY gets height a height adjustable driver seat.
Old 02-02-19, 05:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
This Ranger came out in 2010, got facelifted in 2015 and they sold 1200 units in first month.

But hey, dont that stop you, please continue.
Was that how much they sold in Jan 2019 in the U.S.?

You had said, you don’t understand the appeal of these small pickups. So I was wondering what is the alternative to a small pick up if that is what one is looking for.

You asked for an alternative to the Tacoma no? Or did your question change and I didnt know?

Last edited by situman; 02-02-19 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-02-19, 06:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You asked for an alternative to the Tacoma no? Or did your question change and I didnt know?
I was just wondering. You had said you don’t understand why people find small trucks appealing, then you said the Tacoma was unrefined. So I curious to know what the alternative to a small truck was if a small truck is what someone needs or wants. A truck is a truck, I don’t understand the unrefined part as it’s made for work.
Old 02-02-19, 07:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

I was just wondering. You had said you don’t understand why people find small trucks appealing, then you said the Tacoma was unrefined. So I curious to know what the alternative to a small truck was if a small truck is what someone needs or wants. A truck is a truck, I don’t understand the unrefined part as it’s made for work.
So you changed your question. If a small truck is what people want and need, it doesnt mean my opinion on it changes. Just because its a work truck doesnt mean it can't be more comfortable. Some people still spend like 40k on those things. There doesnt always have to be an alternative. Automakers just need to start making it more refined. Its called progress.

Quick Reply: 2020 Toyota Tacoma Facelift