Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Toyota Tacoma Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 08:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

is this a complete redesign or a refresh
Old 01-30-19, 08:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
is this a complete redesign or a refresh
It's a refresh. Current truck came out for 2016 so we're only 4 years into the current one.
Old 01-30-19, 09:44 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

never going to happen again.

was just looking at the 4runner specs on toyota’s website, it’s so archaic... in the competitive comparison it’s cheaper but lacks so many things compared to the competition it’s laughable.

https://www.toyota.com/4runner/compa...18/73227082019
Toyota knows its target market much better than you. If you want a truly rugged AWD go anywhere vehicle it's almost impossible to beat. If you want tons of electronic nannies and a unibody that folds in half then look elsewhere.
Old 01-30-19, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Toyota knows its target market much better than you. If you want a truly rugged AWD go anywhere vehicle it's almost impossible to beat. If you want tons of electronic nannies and a unibody that folds in half then look elsewhere.
I agree. I just wanted to say that the Toyota 4Runner has 4WD and full time 4WD as options. A shift lever for those who want complete mechanical control of the transfer as well as an electronic transfer case for the limited. A locking differential. And it’s got like 85 cubic feet of space. 4Runner is an outstanding vehicle, it just does not excel st being a daily driver.
Old 01-30-19, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Basically I agree with your point of view, but that itself is part of the very problem....it's difficult to look elsewhere. Unless you go up to the full-size SUV class (the 4Runner is considered a mid-size), true body-on-frame vehicles like the 4Runner are getting harder and harder to find in the American market. Manufacturers have all but given up on them, and/or converted them to crossover unibodies.
Old 01-30-19, 10:50 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The only competition the 4Runner has is the Wrangler.
Old 01-30-19, 11:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Touche.

I expect new headlights and tail lights, revised grill and front bumper. Maybe a new color, hopefully a new interior color option. Something akin to the 2012 facelift.
sure... like any facelift.
Old 01-30-19, 11:03 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The 4runner/taco owners club is blind to what is out there, and being smart Toyota has capitalized on that front. They realize these prospective owners only care about just enough engineering to make these vehicles last longer then any other competition, hence why in 10 years the 4r/Taco crowd will still be running, while the Ford or Chevys will need something or the third in $$$ maintenance. Reliability over performance and goodies.

To be honest the taco/4R should have equally validated and futuristic parts in the future due to the refresh, and its corporate cousin the LandCruiser Prado has now been refreshed with some goodies such as Safety Sense and entune udpate, but, I bet if you asked a prospective owner whether that matters to them, they will apologize for toyota and say it`d probably would make the vehicle less reliable even though the LC Prado already has them.
Old 01-30-19, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
hence why in 10 years the 4r/Taco crowd.
15-20 years

The 4runner/taco owners club is blind to what is out there, and being smart Toyota has capitalized on that front. They realize these prospective owners only care about just enough engineering to make these vehicles last longer then any other competition, hence why in 10 years the 4r/Taco crowd will still be running, while the Ford or Chevys will need something or the third in $$$ maintenance. Reliability over performance and goodies.

To be honest the taco/4R should have equally validated and futuristic parts in the future due to the refresh, and its corporate cousin the LandCruiser Prado has now been refreshed with some goodies such as Safety Sense and entune udpate, but, I bet if you asked a prospective owner whether that matters to them, they will apologize for toyota and say it`d probably would make the vehicle less reliable even though the LC Prado already has them.
You can get the highlighted in bold in the Tacoma, GX, LX and LC.

I don't think anyone would apologize to Toyota, the appeal to the 4Runner is that it lasts a very, very long time. So there is a tremendous value proposition. If safety sense and entune and blind spot monitoring is important, then there always is the Highlander.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-30-19 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-30-19, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The only competition the 4Runner has is the Wrangler.

Yes, loosely, but the 4Runner is still somewhat more family-oriented than even the 4-door Wrangler. The Wrangler is more or less a cult-vehicle.
Old 01-31-19, 11:21 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I see lots of built off-road 4Runners out here in the west. When it comes to having a capable off-road SUV, there are really only 2 options in the market right now. The Wrangler or the 4Runner. I guess the Land Cruiser works if you want to spend a lot of money. Every other automaker has completely abandoned their off-road capable body-on-frame SUV's(exceptions being the Tahoe/Suburban or the Expedition which are a bit on the large side for serious off-roading) in order to offer lineups of 30 redundant and overlapping CUV's which are trash off-road. I'm hoping the new Bronco shakes up the market.
Old 01-31-19, 02:28 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
15-20 years

You can get the highlighted in bold in the Tacoma, GX, LX and LC.

I don't think anyone would apologize to Toyota, the appeal to the 4Runner is that it lasts a very, very long time. So there is a tremendous value proposition. If safety sense and entune and blind spot monitoring is important, then there always is the Highlander.
Exactly what I mean. Why apologize for Toyota forgetting key options like BSM, entune etc. if the entire roster has it, and your mission statement to offer TSS standard on all vehicles offer it. Before I jump the conclusion of whats to come, I`d honestly give the 4runner till 2020 to get it (as per the reports on T4R.org). If it still has not gotten yet....I stand by statement. I wanted to also add that the platform as a whole is not bad, its just the constant, good enough updates of the 4R that are bad.

Side note: Safety Sense is standard on the Taco from MY18
LC got Safety Sense std on MY16
LX got Lexus Safe Sense std on MY16
GX is the same as the 4R, nothing on sd Safety Sense and the only platform yet to receive it. For instance the GX can get an older version of that tech but only after adding special order Drivers Assist which basically increase total cost to north of 65K.

LC Prado (corp identical cousin to the GX) 2018 was the First MY with Safety Sense.....Waiting on that refresh I guess.

Last edited by coolsaber; 01-31-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 02:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I see lots of built off-road 4Runners out here in the west. When it comes to having a capable off-road SUV, there are really only 2 options in the market right now. The Wrangler or the 4Runner. I guess the Land Cruiser works if you want to spend a lot of money. Every other automaker has completely abandoned their off-road capable body-on-frame SUV's(exceptions being the Tahoe/Suburban or the Expedition which are a bit on the large side for serious off-roading) in order to offer lineups of 30 redundant and overlapping CUV's which are trash off-road. I'm hoping the new Bronco shakes up the market.
I wonder how the colorado and ranger are going to play out
Old 01-31-19, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

GX is the same as the 4R which basically increase total cost to north of 65K.
Maybe this is the answer to the issue. Maybe Toyota is trying to keep the costs down so that the price does not rise?
Old 01-31-19, 02:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Maybe this is the answer to the issue. Maybe Toyota is trying to keep the costs down so that the price does not rise?
Not precisely. The increase in Lexus is just astronomical for the oldest hardware that they equip the Luxury trim with. Probably the best margin ever on safety hardware. (As I say the GX has got to have one of the highest margins in the entire Lexus family).

The reason behind this is from MY17 to My18, the tacoma which got the std TSS packs, on the high end bumped up sticker price by 4.5%. Mind you that the cost of TSS is not 4.5% since smaller cab vehicles were up about 1.5% sooo it dosnt cost Lexus astronomical figures to equip a 4runner/GX with TSS. Nor did it affect sales in any meaningful way.

Quick Reply: 2020 Toyota Tacoma Facelift