Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cool EZPass Cover Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 10:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Stealth. Nice! Or get an exterior tag like my coworker, he doesn't want them inside.

Mine is where yours is as well, since I have a dash cam and the rain sensor is to the pass side of the rearview. Normally I follow the instructions and place the E-ZPass tag to the right of the rearview.

I have to be able to switch mine from NJ to NY depending (why pay $17 instead of $11.52 or $6 instead of $2.64), and with the cold weather half the time the strips come off as well. I was considering adding a MD to the collection but don't use it often enough to justify. I hate that authorities now charge out-of-state accounts the full cash rates.
Old 01-25-19, 10:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I wish that ours in Washington State (Good to Go Pass) looked like that. It'd be much easier to conceal.
I noticed you guys dart in and out of the HOV lane over a solid line--not trying to be funny, it's legal, right? Because so many people did it (I'm talking Seattle). I did because I couldn't tell where to get in.
Old 01-25-19, 10:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I noticed you guys dart in and out of the HOV lane over a solid line--not trying to be funny, it's legal, right? Because so many people did it (I'm talking Seattle). I did because I couldn't tell where to get in.
Yes, that's correct. You can enter/exit the HOV lane, even though it's solid, as long as it's a single line. Where it's a double line, you cannot cross and have to wait for the open/dashed sections.
Old 01-25-19, 11:25 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Yup, just a tiny (free) sticker in florida.
FL actually has the sticker and the device like Steve posted to give us a choice. The advantage of the sticker is its minimal size, the advantage of the other device is it can be moved from one car to another (rental cars, loaners, family member, etc).
Old 01-25-19, 12:07 PM
Shaummy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
ugh, the one I use in the Bay Area is like twice the size of the OPs, but thinner. I got mine more than 10 years ago I think, but dont even know if I would switch it out. I used to keep in the center console and take it out when passing, but now I just let the toll take my registered license plate and it works either way. Why need the pass if it can still charge me without it? But the agency also provides an exterior one that can be mounted above the front license plate frame.
In Illinois if you don't have your transponder and they have to track you by the license plate they will charge you the regular "Cash" rate if you have more than 5 in a month. The cash rate is double the IPass rate. I just hold up the transponder before going through the booth/open road toll. Seems to work.
Old 01-25-19, 12:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

mine is always just behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side, i can't even really see it

steve it looks like your LS is missing the highly tactical third central sun visor

totally blocks out the sun and the ez pass lol
Old 01-25-19, 12:49 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shaummy
In Illinois if you don't have your transponder and they have to track you by the license plate they will charge you the regular "Cash" rate if you have more than 5 in a month. The cash rate is double the IPass rate. I just hold up the transponder before going through the booth/open road toll. Seems to work.
I find the toll by mail (plate) to be frustrating when I have a rental car. What I have noticed is there are certain tolls that can take 4 weeks to post. I like to verify within 2-3 days that my transponder was read, because all the rental car agencies use a central co. who processes tolls and violations. And you can get into that scenario where a toll cost $1, but you are charged $3.95/day times 7 plus $1. Or for a violation a lot.

I'll name 4 trouble areas....Grand Island Bridge, Tappan Zee (well Gov Mario M), MD connector, any of the I-95 express lanes. with a valid E-ZPass takes 3-4 weeks to process the toll, because some private co. does it for them.

Where it does work? Verrazano Bridge, toll shows up in hours, and it also is toll by mail.

But as mentioned many authorities here in the northeast charge the full cash rate for out-of-state E-ZPass, which is why it's very common for in the NY metro area for people to have NJ and also NY and switch them.
Old 01-25-19, 12:52 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
mine is always just behind the rearview mirror on the passenger side, i can't even really see it

steve it looks like your LS is missing the highly tactical third central sun visor

totally blocks out the sun and the ez pass lol
Forgot to mention that! When I first found it in my car I thought that was smart, as well as the ones along the sides of the seats so nothing can fall down. Even between the back and bottom cushions--if you ever misplace a credit card, look there!
Old 01-25-19, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Stealth. Nice! Or get an exterior tag like my coworker, he doesn't want them inside.
I don't run a front plate, so that won't work either.

I have to be able to switch mine from NJ to NY depending (why pay $17 instead of $11.52 or $6 instead of $2.64), and with the cold weather half the time the strips come off as well. I was considering adding a MD to the collection but don't use it often enough to justify. I hate that authorities now charge out-of-state accounts the full cash rates.
Oh I know, I know a few people who commute in places where they have to have multiple EZPasses to get the commuter deals, etc. So annoying.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
The LS460s don't have that! I know, I miss it.
Old 01-25-19, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
FL actually has the sticker and the device like Steve posted to give us a choice. The advantage of the sticker is its minimal size, the advantage of the other device is it can be moved from one car to another (rental cars, loaners, family member, etc).
yes i know... i had the suction cup clunker for a while before the small rfid sticker.

the other thing i love about florida toll program is i can use it to pay for airport parking - just drive in, drive out.
Old 01-25-19, 11:22 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaummy
Interesting. In the Bay Area, the cash price and the toll pass price is the same. You only get the convenience of the faster lanes. I can't imagine that system being that good in Illinois since even when I have my pass out, it doesn't always beep.
Old 01-26-19, 03:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Interesting. In the Bay Area, the cash price and the toll pass price is the same. You only get the convenience of the faster lanes. I can't imagine that system being that good in Illinois since even when I have my pass out, it doesn't always beep.
They still use the old beepy ones out there? The ipass toll tags we got letters about needing to be replaced the past couple of years didn't have speakers, nor did the ones I had before those. I do remember 20 or so years ago the big ones with the display and speaker which would beep and tell you your balance when a toll was taken.
Old 01-26-19, 10:42 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

we dont have a display, its a 3 inch by 3 inch by half inch pass that beeps when you pass the toll. I had this when they started rolling out the ez pass (we call it FasTrak here) so I dont know if the new ones are like this, but they definitely haven't reach out to replace all the ones out there. So much for being in the home of Silicon Valley
Old 01-29-19, 01:20 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Yup, just a tiny (free) sticker in florida.
Free? Mine came with 5 bucks pre-loaded on it. Maybe it was a promotion, I don't know but, yup, 5 bucks.