Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

korean and japanese cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 07:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, remember what Lexus did to Mercedes in the 1990s. They suddenly undercut the Germans by offering as good or better quality at a lower price, and Mercedes was forced to react sharply and cut costs. That isn't quite exactly the same with the Koreans today, but there are a number of similarities.
BMW accused Toyota Motor of selling the LS400 below cost. What better compliment could there have been coming out of Munich? It's a shame that the stars are not aligned anymore for this to repeat. Think about the frivolous (imho) law suits regarding floor mats. Toyota gets nailed (retrofits the plastic pins??!), BMW doesn't care. My OE BMW winter mat gets caught in the clutch--they cut it improperly or basically designed it around an automatic, don't care.

p.s. at least when you buy a BMW you get two sets (summer and winter) for free, even if they don't fit lol
Old 01-24-19, 01:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by Yegor12
I'm worried because the Koreans will be cheaper technologically than the Lexus and for the Lexus it is dangerous it can fall heavily in sales, so I'm afraid
Correct, Lexus need to step up their technology game. The offering of standard safety was a good move, but they need to advance the capabilities of their systems. They don't have anything remotely like Cadillac's Super Cruise or Tesla's Autopilot, which to me seems like it would force them to update that tech. In addition, it's taken them too long to adopt mainstream smartphone integration.

That said, while Genesis/KIA/Hyundai have been earlier on the smartphone integration front, they also need to look at driver assistance. Auto high beams and lane-departure alert are nice, but they can be had on base-model Toyota Camrys these days. At least the Koreans have 360 camera systems available.

I don't feel that Koreans are outright outclassing Japanese right now, but they are compelling, that's for sure.
Old 01-24-19, 05:09 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm worried because the Koreans will be cheaper technologically than the Lexus and for the Lexus it is dangerous it can fall heavily in sales, so I'm afraid
Do you own stock?
Old 01-24-19, 05:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Also, remember what Lexus did to Mercedes in the 1990s. They suddenly undercut the Germans by offering as good or better quality at a lower price, and Mercedes was forced to react sharply and cut costs. That isn't quite exactly the same with the Koreans today, but there are a number of similarities.
agree with you
And which, if any, of those German companies went on the financial ropes because of it? And which of those German companies are still selling plenty of cars, and are healthy companies, today?
Old 01-24-19, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
And which, if any, of those German companies went on the financial ropes because of it?
It did not threaten the future of the company itself, but, to compensate for the Lexus competition at lower cost, the quality of Mercedes products dropped off drastically in the 1990s, and it took them years to recover. The tank-like solidness of 80s-vintage Mercedes products, after the 90s, was just a distant memory. You could really tell it (big-time) in the way the doors shut and in how the interior hardware was done. Of course, recently, M-B has recovered.....particularly with the C-class and S-class. The S-class now sets the benchmark for that class.
Old 01-24-19, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

And in reality, IMHO those German companies are making much better cars today BECAUSE of Lexus.
Old 01-24-19, 09:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07

I don't feel that Koreans are outright outclassing Japanese right now, but they are compelling, that's for sure.
Compelling for sure. But show me the sales that the Koreans are taking Japanese market share (which they are not) and we have a story.
Old 01-24-19, 09:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,550 Posts

The industry became stronger as a result.

Old 01-25-19, 09:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
And in reality, IMHO those German companies are making much better cars today BECAUSE of Lexus.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The industry became stronger as a result.
Exactly.

OP--no worries. Go about your daily life and enjoy it.
Old 01-25-19, 11:04 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

But in general there is a possibility that Koreans can catch up and overtake the quality of the Japanese?in general, I do not like cars with left-hand drive, I love cars in the domestic market of Japan, so I worry about the quality of cars in America
Nothing can catch up or replace experience gained over long period of time in anything. Also Japanese and Korean are two distinctly different ethnic people. Japanese excels in team work vs. Koreans excel in individual work and creativity. Modern car building is modular in nature, combined work of teams. I am a native Korean who have been residing in North America over half a century. Let's see who holds the most patents in the automotive leading edge technology. Is Korean a leader or follower? How
many patents do they hold? Lately Hyundai and Kia have been hiring may German experts in the automotive field. A guy who was in charge of BMW M-series production for 27 years moved to Kia(who wouldn't when one's remuneration doubles, triples) And comes Genesis.... If reliability is only factor in cars only Lexus/Toyota would be last one standing. They are building cars under different design philosophy. Once we understand the difference reliability is not everything.. At present my family members drive only BMW and Benz. This has not inconvenienced us with issues. Not much different from when we had Lexus, Toyota, Acura.
Old 01-26-19, 03:47 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry I did not quite understand what you wanted to tell me?
Old 01-26-19, 09:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Do not fear. Kias and Hyundais have the highest rate of burned out taillights. Cheap materials and/or defects.
Old 01-26-19, 09:16 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Do not fear. Kias and Hyundais have the highest rate of burned out taillights. Cheap materials and/or defects.
Seems like Korean manufacturers are sourcing miscellaneous parts from China now.
Old 01-26-19, 10:47 PM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you very much for your support
Old 01-27-19, 09:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Again, where are you getting this info from? I'm still waiting for your supporting documentation on your last unsubstantiated claim.

One thing about Kia/Hyundai.... they have gained a lot of ground, but they also like to burn. They rate highest in car fires. That says something.