Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

korean and japanese cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 03:52 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation korean and japanese cars

Hello, please tell me the Koreans are catching up on the quality of Japanese cars? I have only the fear that the Koreans will catch up and beat the Japanese in quality and if the Japanese lose quality and reliability I will be distressed.

Last edited by Yegor12; 01-22-19 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-22-19, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Yegor12
Hello, please tell me the Koreans are catching up on the quality of Japanese cars? I have only the fear that the Koreans will catch up and beat the Japanese in quality and if the Japanese lose quality and reliability I will be distressed.
Hello, Yegor. Welcome to CL, and Car Chat.

Yes, they have in some ways....but not in everything. In my humble opinion (and I look at a lot of new vehicles)...the Koreans have not only caught up to, but in many cases, surpassed the Japanese in things like the solidness of interior materials, body sheet metal, solid door/hood/trunk-closings, smoothness of paint-jobs, and the general sense in how well, and how tightly, the vehicle is bolted together at the factory. Kia has come fairly close to the top in general reliability a couple of times, and Genesis leads in some categories of Owner Satisfaction. But, in general, as they have for decades, Toyota and Lexus still seem to be the most reliable brands in the long run. Outside of long-term reliability, though, I am currently more impressed with the Koreans than the Japanese.
Old 01-22-19, 07:09 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

honestly, I will be very upset if it is true that the Japanese will lose the quality of reliability. But I prefer more right-handed cars from Japan than left-handers. I scotty kilmer said that Koreans are still of poor quality, unlike Toyota and Honda, if you know of course he has a channel to YouTube he is a mechanic with the experience of 51 years
Old 01-22-19, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not sure that the claims that the Koreans have caught up are valid. Certainly not in the sales and growth metrics. Reliability metrics seem to favor Toyota and Honda. And profitability is also in the favor of Japan.
Old 01-22-19, 07:43 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

But in general there is a possibility that Koreans can catch up and overtake the quality of the Japanese?in general, I do not like cars with left-hand drive, I love cars in the domestic market of Japan, so I worry about the quality of cars in America
Old 01-22-19, 07:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The rise in quality of the Korean makes do not necessitate a fall in Japanese quality. Just because the Koreans are getting better it doesn’t mean the Japanese are getting worse.
Old 01-22-19, 07:57 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

but just you know, I am very, very much a fan of the Japanese car industry, I’m worried about the car industry in Japan and the US market, and if the Japanese lose quality, I’ll be very, very angry. Japanese cars in the Japanese market are my element and American.
Old 01-22-19, 08:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I am a fan of the Korean cars but might not ever end up buying one (just don't buy cars often enough). I never hesitate to grab a Hyundai in the rental car garage, everything about them is nice. If there is any area that needs more refinement it might be with the engines. I got a history lesson years ago and would expect that at some point, Korean cars overtake Japanese. There is more behind it than simply profits.
Old 01-22-19, 08:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But in general there is a possibility that Koreans can catch up and overtake the quality of the Japanese?in general, I do not like cars with left-hand drive, I love cars in the domestic market of Japan, so I worry about the quality of cars in America
Not sure if possible. But anything is I guess. Toyota and Honda have very good reputations. If they put out very bad products like GM and Ford did in the 80s, then it is possible. But they would have to completely miss the mark while at the same time the Koreans would have to have seen something the Japanese did not. If Genesis went all electric, then maybe they would had a leg up.
Old 01-22-19, 08:11 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

I'm still very worried about the Japanese car industry. I feel that something is happening, but in Japan everything is fine they keep the brand. By the way, the import of Korean cars is forbidden to Japan. for weak sales.
Old 01-22-19, 08:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Honda seems to be going backwards in quality, but Toyota is still hitting their mark. The Korean's (Kia and Hyundai) have improved their quality quite a bit over the past several years. The bar was pretty low, though.
Old 01-22-19, 08:17 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

I was told by a mechanic that Honda is weak in reliability because they were then heavily sued in the USA with airbags. Now they have practically no money to create good cars.
Old 01-22-19, 08:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was told by a mechanic that Honda is weak in reliability because they were then heavily sued in the USA with airbags. Now they have practically no money to create good cars.
Nothing scientific....my buddy went from an Odyssey that was recalled (needed piston rings replaced under recall), to a Sienna, back to an '18 Odyssey. Now he is not satisfied with the quality of it, said there is seemingly something wrong with the tranny, but dealer says fine. He also acknowledges he blew a ton of money but his wife insisted in getting rid of the first two vans. I saw on my relatives' fridge there was a Odyssey ad saying starting at $30,xxx, so I was curious. Seems like it would be a nice car for say $31k. Friend is telling me he'd avoid.

I've found the car makers to have dragged their feet with the Takata settlement, I have yet to see my check from BMW, which we all know how class actions work, it's the leaders and atty's who win, not the class. But BMW did provide loaner cars to everyone who wanted one and was affected, to the tune of 1.5 years for some owners. So it seems they survived the financial impact.
Old 01-22-19, 08:57 AM
Yegor12
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry I do not protect Honda but the money is still not enough to create a good car
Old 01-22-19, 09:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I feel a little bit that this might be a troll thread. Could be wrong and could be right.

Quick Reply: korean and japanese cars